Okay then, most influential bassist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The admins really want us to resolve this question, don't they? One of the few connections we have to our old environment is the description text for each forum, so...

Anyway, I'll start with a few nominations. I'm trying to stick pretty closely to the wording in the title, so ~I'm talking about those bass players "without whom..." rather than merely listing those who are the most virtuosic or those who happen to play in favourite pieces of music.

Jimmy Blanton was Duke Ellington's bass player for just a couple of years and died tragically young. Nevertheless in that short time he invented the art of bass playing: before Blanton the bass's role was merely to mark the beat with root notes, but Blanton arrived playing melodic lines that swung all around the rhythm - and he did it without the least compromise to the band's drive. He singlehandely made it possible for the bass to take a position alongside and on a par with the traditional lead instruments. Before Blanton the bass was completely anonymous; after Blanton, Charles Mingus, Ray Brown, Paul Chambers - everybody.

James Jamerson. Of course, James Jamerson. Turned the bass into the wellspring of funkiness: like Blanton, he found space for melodic invention where before the purpose of the bass was just to act as a sort of tuned kick drum, playing on the one and three; like Blanton, he did that without losing any of the bass's drive - in fact, in the case of both men, the introduction of melodic invention and harmonic sophistication added to the punch at the bottom end of the mix. And his legacy is immense - not just hit-factory soul, but throughout rock and pop players owe an immense debt to Jamerson's groundbreaking playing and the light that he shone on the possibilities of the instrument.

Carol Kaye: if anybody sealed the transition from double bass to the electric bass guitar in popular music it was Carol. As the premier session bass player in Los Angeles in the late 1950s and the 1960s she earned a reputation as one of the finest musicians - not just bass players - that a producer could call on. Quincy Jones said "Fender bass player Carol Kaye...could do anything and leave men in the dust." She played for them all - Phil Spector, Brian Wilson, Elmer Bernstein, Lalo Schifrin, Hugo Montenegro and John Williams - and though at the time she was an anonymous session player, once you know a bass part is hers you can hear that it just couldn't be anyone else. Carol Kaye showed that the bass could take on personality.

I dunno. This could turn out to be a knockout, but it might just be more fun to argue the toss.

Off the top of my head I'd say Bootsy Collins. As a back line with Clyde Stubblefield they cemented funk and laid the foundations for hip hop.

Comment

Jamerson was the first person that came to mind for me.

Comment

I'd chuck Larry Graham in there too, for inventing the slap bass ahead of Bootsy.

Then I'd throw in the rather pleased-with-itself suggestion of Giorgio Moroder, for pretty much making the bass guitar obsolete.

Comment

There's a big distinction between influential and important here though, innit?

Comment

How would you make the distinction, though?

Moroder influenced pretty much all electro-pop since the late 70s, and I'd argue Larry Graham pretty much invented the Funk Bassist, so influenced Bootsy and everyone else who laid the blueprint for hip hop.

You're dead right that the James Brown stuff was far more influential than Sly & The Family Stone, of course.

Comment

Yes, I think there is. And a bigger distinction between "most influential" and "best".

A couple more I'll throw out: Jaco Pastorius for the whole fretless, vocalistic lines thing, and Dee Dee Ramone - yes, everybody, it can be that simple and still that good.

[Edit - I don't mean "throw out" in the sense of discard. I mean...oh, you know what I mean]

Comment

Well, I'll agree with the last two. For better or worse one of the most influential bassists going is Peter Hook, judging by most of the new band CDs I have to listen to.

Comment

Oh, hang on: by "important" you're both thinking along the lines of "innovative" aren't you? Got you.

Comment

Bernard Edwards.

Comment

Pino Palladino.

Comment

I always used to think that Pino Palladino was the most exotic sounding musician ever and that he must have been born on a yacht in the Med or something until SR told me that he was from Barry.

Comment

Charles Mingus.

Lock the thread.

Comment

Who'd be considered the progenitor of dub bass? Aston Barrett? Jackie Jackson?

Comment

The distinctive thing about dub bass was the presentation rather than the raw material of the basslines themselves, wasn't it? Dropping it, and the other elements of the track, in and out; I don't think there was a bassist who'd stand out as being particularly influential in terms of what people actually played (he says, drawing a target on his forehead).

One would almost have to say King Tubby was the most important bassist in dub. But one would look a cunt for doing so.

Comment

Paul Simonen, I would have thought is fairly infuential but the guy that invented slap bass (whose name escapes me) must be up there as it was quite a left field turn at the time rather than a progression from what has gone on before

Comment

Sorry, not me, I missed you saying Larry Graham to whom I was obviously referring

Comment

I feel like Alan Davies on QI before he says something obvious or stupid, and the siren goes off, but: John Entwhistle?

I mean, was anyone else making the sort of racket he made on My Generation before him?

Comment

Mitch: It's absurd to claim anyone other than John Entwhistle on this thread, I think.

Comment

Was he influential, though? Notable and individual, definitely; but I can't think of anyone who copied his style.

Perhaps he was one of the first to use the bass to provide heavy-handed melody while the guitar clanged texture and kept momentum around it; which would make him responsible for Peter Hook.

Comment

I suppose the answer depends on the genre.

Like H Bosch, I'd go with Bernard Edwards. Any bassline he did, some fucker has sampled or adapted it.

Comment

John Entwhistle is a very good call.

Comment

John Entwistle wasn't so influential that anyone's spelt his name right yet...

Comment

OK then, how about the bassist from The Doors?

Comment

Oh flaming hell, all these worthy names on the first page and all I can think of is Jean Jacques Burnell - bass as a lead instrument - OK only influenced The Stranglers; but defined their sewer sound.

I would say that twat off Level 42 took prominent bass playing to new levels of crapness.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X