Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Book/Zwartboek

Right, where to begin:

A rollercoaster ride with one woman's struggle for freedom through occupied Netherlands.

pretty much covers it.

Carice van Houten is rather stunning in it (looks and a fair bit of acting too). Some good work on the side, but to be honest, I dont know whether they are good or not.

There is one specific baddie in it (no spoiler) and I am not sure whether that person is magnificent, because I didnt see it, or I wouldnt know a good Dutch actor if I met one in my sleep. (open goal)

so, if anyone has actually seen it, let me know your (possibly repeated) thoughts.

I have seen it about 5 times now, usually when I am feeling very fucked off. I know its early, but its becoming my new 'Color Purple'.

*massive edit: I should mention that its by Paul Verhoeven, and I am not sure whether he couldnt get another job, or this was his masterpiece. However, after checking www.imdb.com I am not sure. (His next film is apparently Thomas Crown Affair 2... which already belongs on the concurrent 'remake' thread)

Black Book/Zwartboek

Well I enjoyed it, for what it was. i watched it straight after Soldier of Orange, Turkish Delight, and Business is Business, so for me it fell straight into the continuum of slightly dodgy sex comedies and slightly farcical war movies. Neither or which are totally bad things in Verhoeven's hands. It's quite a sort of straightforward story, but his trademark touches are all there; in places it's like a Dutch Allo Allo, with crazy wigs and old Nazi pervs leering over pretty girls with too much lipstick on, and in places it's kind of serious verging on grim as it considers the realities of war etc. So an odd mix but very watchable.

Comment

Black Book/Zwartboek

ok, I have no reference point about what you mean, but if you include the bit where she has to dye her hair?, then fair enough.

The older guy in it who's son goes through stuff, is a little oleaginous, and that to me is Verhoeven... that is how I watched the film (the 17th time, lekker!)

But fuck, it either has to be talked about, or attacked, and I am not sure which.

and my editing is on my laptop which occaisonally has soft kesys, so boolockas at 150 wpm)

Comment

Black Book/Zwartboek

now that you mention it, the least nasty person is the guy who has most control. But, I am not sure whether he was acting or not, because if he was, he was superb.

*Sebastian Koch. Wonderful.

Comment

Black Book/Zwartboek

Isn't he the one in Das Leben der Anderen?

He'll have to watch it. My wife really fancies him.

Comment

Black Book/Zwartboek

your wife will have to climb over me (in about 10 years ago, time)

Comment

Working...
            X