Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jesus Camp

Un-fucking-believable.

I spent an hour watching this last night (C4)absolutely agog and aghast. These people (adults) are utterly demented. I wont spoil what went on as its probably going to be repeated or available online for a while, but there was an 'Animal House' type ending which cheered me up no end.

Fantastic TV, horrifying subject matter, whether you believe in God or not.

Jesus Camp

Oh man, this is an excellent film. I saw it last year and can;t remember all the details, but I can't forget the little girl going round telling people that Jesus wants them.

And yeah, the events that unfold are great.

Comment

Jesus Camp

thank you lyra, I thought for one second this was going to get an undeserved nil thread.

Yes, the little girl was with a few others at a bowling alley, and she just decided to ask the gorgeous blonde woman in the next alley if she loved Jesus, and did she know that Jesus loved her? NOTHING to do with the camera on her (which I noticed a few times with her and others.

The whole thing freaked me out.

Comment

Jesus Camp

I picked up the DVD last year. I found it surprisingly painful to watch, actually. I had to watch it in small doses to get through.

Comment

Jesus Camp

thank you lyra, I thought for one second this was going to get an undeserved nil thread.
          Well, you know, this is what the Current Watching thread is for... *whistles innocently*

Comment

Jesus Camp

I remember ganja starting a thread about this in the Old World. I still want to see it.

Incidentally, a good comedy that takes the piss out of Jesus kids is Saved!. Setup: teenage girl finds out her boyfriend is gay (of course they're saving themselves for marriage, so she wouldn't know he wasn't sexually attracted to her), has a vision of Jesus telling her she must sacrifice her virginity to save him, and she becomes pregnant.

Comment

Jesus Camp

sorry lyra, consider my knackers rapped. Although at time of writing this, 'current' is 4 days ago, so it didnt occur to me.

I didnt realise until the denouement that it was made in '06. And I am SO FUCKING CHUFFED that, that pastor at the end got his, because before then, I was starting to like him.

I have withdrawn my subscription to Colorado Avalanche's fanzine because of this programme.

Comment

Jesus Camp

Be sure to stay away from the "God Squad" Rockies as well, should you ever stray into the National League.

Comment

Jesus Camp

Never going to happen urs. Not unless they take 41 year olds with a knuckle, curve-knuckle, and a sinker that all go high and inside (to the Rockies).

Comment

Jesus Camp

I remember ganja starting a thread about this in the Old World. I still want to see it

It was me I think. Frightening television.

Comment

Jesus Camp

I looked the wikipedia entry for the film up after watching it, and followed a link to a site set up by some of the parents of the kids, claiming that the film completely misrepresented them etc. There was a discussion forum where they were so so reasonable at engaging with their critics (see! we're not nutjobs!), so I put a lengthy post on there about psychological child abuse, but they just ignored me. Tsk.

The cardboard Bush scene was the best of all. The Onion couldn't have done it better.

Comment

Jesus Camp

I haven't seen this because I know it will be too disturbing.

By "Animal House" ending, do you mean the kids cause chaos and panic at the parade? That's surprising. What sort of parade was it?

Comment

Jesus Camp

no, by 'Animal House' I mean that there are written depictions of the people on screen, as in "so and so became the president of the PLO" type thing.

If you know anything about the Colorado preacher, with nice attitude, and methamphetamine, you will know why I realised that there is a god.

Comment

Jesus Camp

The part where they bless Microsoft Power Point is a personal highlight. I had to keep pausing Jesus Camp to intermittently scream "NO IT CAN'T BE REAL".

Comment

Jesus Camp

This new Matt Taibbi article goes well with Jesus Camp.

Comment

Working...
                              X