Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The official OTF Euro 2008 thread

Domenech said today that he expects to win it, btw

Ha! Quite apart from the fact that Les Bleus no longer have Zizou to rescue them from Domenech's stupidity, teams from Groups Of Death never, ever win tournaments - they expend so much energy qualifying for the second round that they always fall over the next time they meet a half-decent side.

Of the realistic possible contenders for the Euro 08 title, I wouldn't be too upset if any of Croatia, Italy, Germany or the Czechs were to win it.

Comment

Looks like I'll be following the Oranje in honour of my fine lady friend - I'm looking forward to a more continental feeling of being disappointed, underwhelmed and embittered.

Comment

Edit: apologies, I thught AG's post was by BotD, my tone (and the 'Casablanca' comment) would have been much different otherwise.
        Care to elaborate?

Comment

dogbeak, I am with you, in honour of possivle overload from a non-supporting, non-thinking oranje, who only speaks Nederlands to me when he drives and then only says 'LET OP' in a very firm voice.

I have half a mind to support Portugal (never) or Spain, just to fuck him off.

Comment

Group B, man. Ugh.

This is the first tournament where I didn't actually want England to qualify, but at least their presence might have added some comic relief to that group. Suppose we're relying on Croatia to provide the sparkle there.

I'm just vibrating with joy at the prospect of ITV's coverage. "Well, here we are at half time, and it's Holland 2, Italy 2. So, Andy Townsend, what do you think? Could England have beaten these?"

"Oh absolutely Steve, the Wayne Rooneys and Stevie Gerrards of this world will be sat at home watching this and they'll be so frustrated... I honestly think that if England had qualified there'd be nothing for them to fear here, I think they'd have a good chance of winning the whole thing...."

"OK Andy, thanks for your views. Now here's a 10-minute short film about the 1966 World Cup to tide us over until the second half."

They've signed up Steve McClaren as a pundit, apparently. It just doesn't get any better than that.

There was a terrible article in the Guardian on Monday (media section, not sport) expressing astonishment that BBC and ITV were being forced to alter the scheduling of soaps in order to show football matches without England in them. Suggested that the whole "crown jewels" thing was stupid, largely because if England don't qualify, who gives a shit? And besides, UEFA should obviously start flogging some of these games to non-terrestrial, subscription-only channels because otherwise they're just missing out on a load of money, aren't they? The fucking Guardian. Christ almighty.

Comment

Thanks for that Taylor (and I agree with every word, btw). If you don't mind, I'm going to clip and save that for use this summer, whenever it's suggested that only ABEs notice how shit/one-eyed the coverage in this country is.

ITV should be allowed to show Poland vs Austria on a delayed broadcast on a digital channel at 2 in the morning, just so long as they're forced to move their Manuchelsealiverpoolarsenal games in next season's CL to the exact same slot...

Comment

If it was down to me, we'd be back to an hour of highlights on Sunday afternoons, and that would be it.

Comment

I'm looking forward to it quite a bit actually. Most of the games should be on ESPN in the US, which is normal, but I've got my work computer picking up ESPN 360 now, which makes the timing of these games 'almost' perfect.

I don't even care who wins... as long as its not Italy. If it is Italy, then just not Totti. If it is Totti, then he better play magnificently.

I'd probably be okay with any of Czech Rep, Germany, Spain, or Netherlands. I probably wouldn't even mind if Portugal won it.

Switzerland and Austria are pretty much assured of being the worst teams though, aren't they?

Comment

I can't decide who to support; France (due to my love of Platini and cheese) or Austria (due to my love of the Third man and Viennese Football) ?

Comment

Totti won't be in the Italian squad. He's retired from the national team and Donadoni's attempts to convince him to come back have not been successful.

Comment

Obviously I'll be supporting Deutschland.

But I'd be very happy for Spain to win something at last. Always like the Czechs and Portugal, and since the 2000 final, I like Italy as well. But not so much that I want them to win.

Austria winning it would be hilarious.

The teams I really don't want to see winning this thing are France, Holland and Russia. I'm not a great fan of Croatia either, though I like them much better since they knocked out England.

Comment

As a quarter Greek, my right leg is demanding a Hellenic victory. The rest of me just wants a bit of spectacle, and not too many penalty shoot outs.

Comment

It'll probably end up being France, because it's the only blood in me which is anything like foreign (and even that is about four generations removed, or something).

here's the referee's guide. Peter Frojlfeldt looks delighted to be going.

Comment

Got a free Panini Euro 2008 album with one of the papers. At 36 am I too old to start collecting the stickers?

Always follow Italy as second team but will give them my full support in the absence of England. First round exit for the Azzurri then..

Comment

I'm invoking the Polish grandfather clause and rooting for them.

Comment

I will be supporting Germany, following my experiences in Dortmund, in the last World Cup. There you are, I've said it.

Just please, god. Let Holland get knocked out early.

I'm really pissed off I couldn't get any tickets this time.

Comment

I'm falling in love with German football, actually. There's so much about it that's right.

Comment

Thanks for that Taylor (and I agree with every word, btw). If you don't mind, I'm going to clip and save that for use this summer, whenever it's suggested that only ABEs notice how shit/one-eyed the coverage in this country is.
                                      I don't think anyone has suggested that, have they?

Comment

Botd: not on the new board so far, no. But it always happened at least once during the 2002 and 2006 World Cups, and the 2004 Euros.

On a different subject, what's with all of this support for Spain all of a sudden? They stunk the place out in the qualifiers, scarcely deserve to be at Euro 2008 and worse, Luis Aragones is still an unapologetic racist.

Comment

Oh right, I misread your post as to thinking it as rife.

I always admire a lot of England supporters on here for seeing the myopic press coverage for what it is.

THey don't have the inherited bitterness of us Celtic ABEs, of course, but they try

Comment

I suppose it'll have to be Sweden. no reason apart from proximity and the fact that i might well be on holiday there when they games are played.

Comment

Haven't got a clue who I'm going to support yet.

Not the Czech Republic ... boring
                                              Not Germany ... too easy
                                              Not Italy ... Milan 2003
                                              Not Portugal ... Ronaldo

hmmmmm ... have to have a think.

Comment

I want both Croatia and Spain to excel. Croatia because I think they play the best football in Europe at the moment, and Spain because Croatia won't win the thing, and I don't want Italy, France or Germany to win it. I'd have a softish spot for Holland but actually I think it will be funnier to watch them go out on penalties yet again.

Comment

Have the kit fetishists amongst us seen this - it's not a massive archive but it's pretty neat.

Comment

Oranje's chances of progressing rest largely on Marco's capricious, and seemingly willfully unfathomable selection policy.

He seems to revel in confusing and annoying football journalists and TV pundits.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X