The official OTF Euro 2008 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Based on my new WSC Euro 2008 wallchart, and the fact my tickets for Holland v France arrived yesterday, I think it's time to officially open the OTF thread on this one.

And I have already had a few people at my work say "what's the point?" about the wallchart.

Very parochial attitude I must say.

I will kick off the "incisive analysis" by noting that there are a very large number of teams wearing red in this year's tournament. Eight out of sixteen, I think it is, including all four countries in Group A.

I still haven't decided who I want to win, yet.

Comment

I've been saying it for months, I'm looking forward to Euro 08 more than I might have been precisely because England aren't there. I'm sure there will be one or two games that can reach the levels of tedium normally reserved for Frank Lampard and Ashley Cole passing the ball back and forward to each other for eighty minutes - Austria-Poland, and Switzerland-Turkey, for instance, may not get me breathless with anticipation - but at least the tournament won't be played out to a backdrop of shrieking morons wearing St.George's Cross bowler hats.

Comment

Looking at the kick-off times, it appears likely that I will be able to see more of this tournament than I was expecting to.

Comment

Of course (of course? Really?) as an Englishman I wanted England to be there, but there was always that lurking suspicion that I would enjoy the tournament so much more if they didn't qualify. So there it is, I'm going to be like a pig in shit during Euro 2008.

And yet...there are complications. I am half Dutch, I have adopted Spain as my footballing country. Disappointment may be just around the corner...

Comment

Based on the qualifying rounds, Romania vs Holland will be one to miss, if you need to take a match off to visit non-football-supporting family members or something.

Comment

Sound advice, but that game is on at the same time as France vs Italy, which is surely unmissable!

Comment

What's a good site for the schedule? And for an OTF pool? I remember we had a great contest here 8 years ago.

Comment

More to the point, will there be a separate Euro 2008 forum, like on the old board? We can't just have one thread for the whole tournament (sorry, PBF, but it would become impossible to follow as soon as Ronaldo dives to win his first penalty).

Comment

Very good point, I think at the very least we will need separate threads per game. I think this will do for the build up to the event though

The official Euro 2008 (predictably) has a nice layout for the tournament

http://www.euro2008.uefa.com/tournament/index.html

And here's the all important split of the games between BBC and ITV

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2008/01_january/25/euro2008.shtml

Comment

Although be careful on the ITV games, as they have been pushing it as part of the great sport on ITV4 this summer.

Comment

Yeah, I'm fearful of this as well. Any game featuring less than five players from the Premier League (or, at the very least, either Ronaldo or Torres) is likely to be shunted off to some digital channel, isn't it? Which isn't a problem, I guess, the games'll still be on, but it still makes me bristle with indignation that it's another indication of how little the majority of "football fans" in this country actually give a shit about the football, and how much it's really just about being tribal and having the chance to wave your little red cross around and get pissed for an afternoon.

It's going to be the same with the FA Cup Final. I've only missed one in my life - the afternoon my first daughter was born (still haven't forgiven her for that). And I'm looking forward to this year's more than any in ages. Especially if God plays. But I know, in my heart of hearts, that it'll only be me and my mate Sean watching the game alone up one end of the village pub, while several other people mutter about putting the horse racing on instead.

Comment

I don't believe ITV or BBC are allowed to show any of the games (apart from simultaneous kick-offs for the final group games) on non-terrestrial channels. The entire tournament is part of the "crown jewels" agreement.

The once dropped the second half of a WC game for build-up to an England game and got a rap across the knuckles for it.

Comment

I fell asleep fifteen minutes into last year's FA Cup final and woke up just after the presentation.

It's true that the overwhelming majority of football supporters won't give a toss about Euro 2008. I Don't worry about it much, though - I would have to be pretty desperate to watch any football in the pub these days.

Comment

There's no way I'm going to be allowed to watch this. I can't be arsed toe explain to the missus how there's football on when I'd 'promised the season had finished'.

As it was I struggled to explain how come FC United had games left after we'd won the cup.

It's all so difficult.

Comment

Just tell her that it's the start of the new season.

"Yes dear, the close season gets shorter and shorter every year".

Comment

That's why it's called 'close' I guess.

Comment

Anyone know the schedule of friendlies beforehand?

No matter, got the one I wanted: Netherlands v Wales, Sunday 1st June in Rotterdam.

Comment

I'm supporting Italy. Just to be a contrary bastard.

Comment

I have to try out my new identity as an Italia fan this summer. It could be tough.

I'm practicing the hand gestures, though, and I think I'm getting pretty good.

I don't think I can do Fratelli d'Italia, though. The lyrics make La marseillaie seem moderate in the bombastic nationalist rhetoric department.

Comment

Funnily enough, Marley and I were discussing this on the way to school this morning. I am supporting Croatia as the ABE team but, more importantly, through PPV's generosity. It's the least I can do. I also think they will do well.

Marley is supporting Italy.

I am surprised that PBF is adept in multi-tasking enough to start this thread. I thought everyone else would have a two week start on us.

One of our 1927 colleagues is considering having a car flag made up with "Where's all your England flags now then?" on

Comment

Not knowing the words to Fratelli d'Italia will make you fit right in with the squad, Gramsci.

I somehow doubt that the Oranje's Nassau Blue socks and change kit will change their tournament fortunes. If they manage to make it out of the group, they will surely go out on penalties before the final.

Domenech said today that he expects to win it, btw.

Comment

What is the point of an anthem if it doesn't have a certain amount of "bombastic nationalist rhetoric"? It's like saying a country's flag is too colour-based.

Watch 'Casablanca' then talk to me about La Marseillaise, son.

Edit: apologies, I thught AG's post was by BotD, my tone (and the 'Casablanca' comment) would have been much different otherwise.

Comment

Harry, I'm from the NPS. Our anthem is about how big the freakin country is and how we'll stand on guard, stand on guard, etc etc. All this shit about wearing Scipio's helmet and dying for the country... it all seems a bit over the top.

The lyrics to La Marseillaise are over the top too, but its redeemed by having the most stirring chorus ever.

Aux armes, citoyens!
                                                Formez vos bataillons!
                                                Marchons, marchons!
                                                Qu'un sang impur
                                                Abreuve nos sillons!

How can you not love that? The music, if not the words...

Comment

No, I love 'La Marseillaise'. I think anthems are meant to be bombastic, that's their job.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X