October timewaster??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

October timewaster??

Sorry for blatant plug (esp given the terrible effort in Books today) but would anyone like to help beta test my friend's new online game?

http://echobazaar.failbettergames.com

It's a very casual game: pop in once or twice a day and play for a few minutes. It needs a Twitter account to play. If you have any kind of moral objection to Twitter, you can just create an account and never use it for any other purpose.

My friend asked if people could let me know if they are interested, then I can make sure he knows to activate your invite soonest, etc.

October timewaster??

Any chance we can find out what the game is about, what it's like, etc.?

Comment

October timewaster??

Yeah. I'd hate to get a freakin' Twitter account just to find out it's a first-person knitting game or something.

Comment

October timewaster??

I'll ask if there's anything extra to what's on the link... so far I've also been told it's "a cousin of all those Mafia and vampire things infesting the social networks, but with a dash more gameplay and substantially more flavour and story. And nothing to do with Mafia or vampires."

I like the atmosphere so far, subterranean dripping cellars, gaslight, guttering candles, orphans living in cemeteries, ravens, dead bodies, printing presses and all that. But I've no clue yet what your few minutes a day will actually involve.

Comment

October timewaster??

Eh, sorry...sounds too Victorian for me. Especially if it turns out to be steampunk in the slightest.

Comment

October timewaster??

Really? Those are exactly the reasons I'd want to get into it.

Comment

October timewaster??

I hate all that stuff. Just personal tastes.

Comment

October timewaster??

That's what I'm planning to do for Halloween this year.

Comment

October timewaster??

Just don't play croquet.

Comment

October timewaster??

Comment

October timewaster??

Oh man. I love Halloween so much.

Comment

October timewaster??

You know what? I used to hate hate hate hate hate hate hate getting done up for Halloween. Now I do it because my kids get a big kick out of it, and I don't mind it at all.

Comment

October timewaster??

I'm a grouch when it comes to Halloween. Though it's fun to watch my daughter dress up and have a good time. Basically, I only like Halloween for the candy.

Comment

October timewaster??

Uh, eerie double post there.

Comment

October timewaster??

See...we're not so different, you and I. Just the steampunk thing.

Comment

October timewaster??

I might have at one point liked steampunk. I really like the Brothers Quay movies. But for one thing, I hate the name. I also hate when people think that steampunk is a profound political statement, or talk about steampunk and "maker culture". Basically, Boing Boing has made me hate steampunk.

Comment

October timewaster??

I don't even know what Boing Boing is. And here I thought I was au courant with the youth of today.

Comment

October timewaster??

The Brothers Quay are fabulous!

Comment

October timewaster??

Boing Boing's an arts/craft/sci/tech/culture/media blog sorta thing. Not a bad RSS feed to have running in the background at work.

Comment

October timewaster??

http://boingboing.net/

Started as a zine, now a blog about tech, copyright, gadgets, and other stuff. There are a few core bloggers, one of whom is Cory Doctorow, who is always good for at least one post about steampunk jewelry or some steampunk comic or young adult novel every day.

On one post about a drawing of a steampunk butterfly, someone commented that he had been ripped off, linking to his own steampunk butterfly:

He did a few other drawings, all of which crack me up, especially his steam mouse:

Comment

October timewaster??

Anyway. So I'm playing this properly now and it's a lot of fun. So ner.

Comment

October timewaster??

It's back! They've added lots of new content and (sob) reset all of our characters back to zero (ie languishing in a dank prison and without all the trinkets, weapons, secrets, jewels and drugs we'd accumulated). So it's a very good time to start playing.

http://echobazaar.failbettergames.com/

Comment

October timewaster??

I know no one cares but here's an interview with the game's creators:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/interviews/7012-Horror-Meets-Shopping-at-the-Echo-Bazaar

Comment

Working...
                                              X