Red-faced over blackface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red-faced over blackface

This was on a very high-profile prime time show in Australia last night.

I was amazed when I saw it and it seems like it was only Harry Connick Jnr's understandable reaction has made it in to big news here.

Red-faced over blackface

There are constantly times on TV and movies where black ppl "white up" to portray white ppl, eg. White Chicks. So why is it such a big deal when ppl "black up" on TV. Australia does not have a history of being racist against African Americans so it should not be considered racist at all to black face. Being accused of racism by one of the most, if not the most racist country in the world; is the definition of hypocracy.
    I mean, I know it's a YouTube comment, what do you expect but seriously? I basically fell off my chair at the "Australia does not have a history of being racist against African Americans" line.

Comment

Red-faced over blackface

I watched this open mouthed - my Aussie gf Enjoyed it -I think she like the Broadcaster was blinded by nostalgia (The 'blacked up' performers were winners of a similar show 20 years before)
      Funniest thing is that the networks here are blaming connick jr for being sensitive not that blacking up is not really the done thing anymore (if it ever was.....)

Comment

Red-faced over blackface

A stunning apology by Daryl Fucking Somers making it look like it was a problem with Harry Connick Jr or 'your country' rather than realising it was inappropriate and wrong, even if the whole thing was out of ignorance.

However, the performers' front man admitting he wouldn't have done the act in the US means we can say ignorance wasn't a factor.

As for channel 9 themselves, Australian commercial TV has a sense of morals exactly the same size and shape as an AC Nielsen meter.

An absolute embarrassment to this nation - channel 9, the performers and the cunts filling opinion pages with "PCGM".

Comment

Red-faced over blackface

Nine is a disgrace. The same thing happened a couple of years ago on the Footy Show and the buffoon who did it has since simulated sex with a blow up doll which had the picture of a prominent female sports journalist stuck on it. He still has his job. Nine loves the publicity.

A former cricketer still gets paid serious money to go on radio stations and do a faus "paki" accent.

The problem is some people here just don't get why this stuff is offensive.

It is hardly surprising that 90 per cent of the recommendations of the Bringing them Home inquiry into forced separation of indigenous kids from their families have not been acted upon after a decade.

This country has a really serious issue with racism and just will not confront it.

Comment

Red-faced over blackface

What is the relevance of the "where's Kamahl?" cartoon that flashes up?

Comment

Red-faced over blackface

Ah, sorry I should have mentioned this dogbeak, Kamahl is an Australian crooner/entertainer from the 70s/80s who was born in Malaysia of Tamil heritage.

He's abit dark, see, hence the contribution from Hey Hey's cartoonist.

This bit in wiki with reference to the very well known Kamahl quote:

He arrived in Adelaide, South Australia in 1953 to receive a higher education at King's College (now Pembroke School), however, his arrival was not without prejudice on the part of an Australia still influenced by the White Australia Policy. This experience gave bite to his well-known quote: "Why are people so unkind?"

...helps illustrate that the cartoonist can join the list of shame here, possibly right at the front.

Comment

Red-faced over blackface

Rory Bunk wrote:
                Ah, sorry I should have mentioned this dogbeak, Kamahl is an Australian crooner/entertainer from the 70s/80s who was born in Malaysia of Tamil heritage.
                Kamahl's a dude - he's sung with The Wiggles.

Comment

Red-faced over blackface

Channel 9 did give us the "I can't take my sunglasses off - they're famous" guy.

Comment

Red-faced over blackface

Etienne wrote:
                    There are constantly times on TV and movies where black ppl "white up" to portray white ppl, eg. White Chicks. So why is it such a big deal when ppl "black up" on TV. Australia does not have a history of being racist against African Americans so it should not be considered racist at all to black face. Being accused of racism by one of the most, if not the most racist country in the world; is the definition of hypocracy.
                    I mean, I know it's a YouTube comment, what do you expect but seriously? I basically fell off my chair at the "Australia does not have a history of being racist against African Americans" line.
                    Who was the US TV presenter woman who was ranting about calling black people "black" a couple of years ago, and when asked how she would refer to black africans said "African African-Americans"?

Edit: this may be apocryphal

This is fucked up, obviously, but not unexpected from Oz.

Comment

Red-faced over blackface

To be fairer than they probably deserve the blacking up is a joke about Jackson whiting up. but that isnt v funny either.

Comment

Red-faced over blackface

Anyone see the Michael Jackson comedy tribute show on Channel 4 from that Bo Selecta twat the other day? It was easily worse than this.

Comment

Red-faced over blackface

Family entertainment show in race row

Comment

Red-faced over blackface

That wasn't on air though, was it.

I thought Harry Connick Jr handled it pretty well all things considered.

Comment

Red-faced over blackface

nefertiti wrote:
                              That wasn't on air though, was it.
                              I'm sorry, you're right, it was completely irrelevant and I shouldn't have posted it.

Comment

Red-faced over blackface

The Aussies I've spoken to have hardened in their race stance if anything. This is just another example of the one rule for them and one shit rule for us that the overly political correct era has brought with it.

Seriously, going on about Australia's shame and so on just hardens the siege mentality, perhaps going beyond the knee jerks and perhaps a little thought into why that mentality is still there might be a bit more constructive.

Just saying, like.

Comment

Red-faced over blackface

And that fat one off Kath & Kim had hers coming. You couldn't move for her milking her tears of outrage for about a week afterwards here. I'd have stuck her in a sodding concentration camp to shut the silly cow up.

Comment

Red-faced over blackface

Alessandro Nesta Mahdi wrote:
                                    Anyone see the Michael Jackson comedy tribute show on Channel 4 from that Bo Selecta twat the other day? It was easily worse than this.
                                    Bo Selecta! was comfortably worse than most things though, even when Jackson was alive.

Comment

Red-faced over blackface

And that fat one off Kath & Kim had hers coming. You couldn't move for her milking her tears of outrage for about a week afterwards here.
                                      I think this one passed us by. What happened?

Comment

Red-faced over blackface

Here's the story, GY

Comment

Red-faced over blackface

The fact that this Australian "entertainer" is currently touring the UK probably doesn't help their cause much

Comment

Red-faced over blackface

I am trying to think of a way of putting it, Max but can't think of anything other than you are being a cunt here.

This is just another example of the one rule for them and one shit rule for us that the overly political correct era has brought with it.
                                            Would you like to give us a working definition of the bold

And that fat one off Kath & Kim had hers coming. You couldn't move for her milking her tears of outrage for about a week afterwards here. I'd have stuck her in a sodding concentration camp to shut the silly cow up.
                                            and what's this about? She has been quite unmartyr-ish in saying it is the concentration camps she is felling are being belittled rather than her.

I agree with you about Bo Selecta and also noticed that Harry Enfild and Paul Whitehouse appear to have gone back to their Stavros transgressions

Comment

Red-faced over blackface

Boy, that is shit! That stuff belongs back in the 1910s. Fucking ignorant cunts!

Respect to Harry Connick, though. I would have been tempted to storm out, but he stuck around to put his point across, at least ...and in a less angry or patronising way than I would have been able to.

I kept expecting that presenter bloke to transmogrify into Krusty The Klown, so low was the tone of that programme.

In summation... Wow!

Comment

Red-faced over blackface

Well I guess that's me off your Christmas present list BOE. What with you having to bring out the 4 letter words and all.

Magda has made a lot of those smug ads on the TV and hasn't done too badly out of the fuss over this Concentration Camp. She has, in my opinion, milked it for personal gain.

anyway, get you. In an issue about race you're making an awful lot of assumptions. Okay, I'll bite. The remark about the Overly Political Correct era in bold is my way of saying that the current discussion on race is one sided, unfair and inflammatory (This bullshit positive discrimination - there's fuck all positive about it). Naive people think the issue is being moved forward. It isn't. It's just going underground and getting bottled up, not going away. So call me racist, call me cunt call me what you like it's just a label and we never have to meet or exchange christmas presents. Deal?

Comment

Red-faced over blackface

Max Payne wrote:
                                                  ... the current discussion on race is one sided, unfair and inflammatory...
                                                  I'm afraid I for one am not with you yet. Can you enlarge on the above?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X