Glass Candy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glass Candy

Are playing London on Thursday. Don't think I can make it which is a shame because I've just got their new album "Beat Box" and it's a little disco gem

http://www.cargo-london.com/event.php?id=1113

08 05 08 : GLASS CANDY
    Nu-rave, no! Nu-Wave, nah... it's No-wave

Ever evolving, reinventing, ass shaking ushers of early death disko, Glass Candy have traveled from bare bones stripped down honky tonk disco rock to equal parts digital and analog, to synthesizer/drum machine heaven with a side of sexy bass and live drums. Always with a giant dose of visual stylized perfection. Born in Portland in the late late 90's, and taking over the world in the mid 2000's. Current line up is Ida No on vocals and barefoot dance, Johnny Jewel on sythns, guitar, and production, and Dusty Sparkles on drums.

Glass Candy

Hmmm...

No sooner thought about than (almost) made reality: I inwardly mused over confusion with Glass Shark, should they play London dates at around the same time ...and whadd'ya know! Still, they're both good.

Y'know, I'm actually tempted to go and see Glass Shark in their 'hood', down near/in Padstow, as I used to know the area very well. I appreciate the way they've scheduled most of their gigs for Fridays and Saturdays too.

Hell, they should tour together and call it the 'We Are Glass' tour! ;^)

Comment

Glass Candy

I imagine this would be very good. That Italians Do It Better CD is absolutely terrific, I recommend it unreservedly.

Comment

Glass Candy

Grosvenor (on the same bill, at the Cargo gig) is also very good.

Comment

Glass Candy

Glass Candy are great, should be a good gig.

I've no idea what "honky tonk disco rock" would sound like (Honky Tonk Women?), but Glass Candy sound pretty different on every track they've done. "I Always Say Yes" was like Sparks' "Tryouts For The Human Race" fronted by Debbie Harry; "Beat Box" is this gorgeous club track driven by gloopy synths; "Etheric Device" is dreamy drama pop built from a couple of synth tones and pizzicato-style guitar; they've even done one which re-works an old Geto Boys beat with Ida singing bits of Iko Iko on top.

It all ties up as a whole, though. Johnny Jewel's an unusual producer - there's just a few well-chosen elements on each track, but using a disco form allows him to join his ideas up really well. It might sound like a back-handed compliment, but he makes a little go a long way.

Comment

Working...
          X