Hofzinser is breathtakingly right.
    Yes. Yes he is.

He does that a lot, though.

Comment

Never mind 'Never Mind The Buzzcocks'

Some great points being made here.

Comment

I was a big fan of Amstell and welcomed his arrival on NMTB. Then I went to see his stand-up show with a couple of other people who also adored him. It was utter drivel. He apparently forgot to prepare anything funny and so resorted to little more than hilariously calling several members of the audience cunts. Now none of his can watch him on TV without getting very annoyed indeed. So it's good that he's gone, I think.

Comment

I didn't realise AMstell had left NMTB. Shame, he was just right for it (if that doesn't come across as a backhanded compliment).

A show like that benefits, I think, from consistency through identity, and in that respect, a succession of guest presenters isn't going to do it much good.

Comment

What's interesting about Lamarr and Amstell is that most accounts suggest the first is a lovely bloke and the second's a wanker, which isn't what you'd expect.

Comment

The Mighty Boosh is tedious rubbish.
              I'm nearly weeping for you here. Imagine living in a world where it's possible to be so completely and totally wrong. I pity you.

Comment

I daresay there's a phrase for that as well.

I thought NMTB this week was alright. But then I missed the first 20 minutes. Corden is a good guest in that he's got an infectious laugh, which means anyone being funny has to give him (and the audience) time to recover before the next gag, but as a host, he's not got the personality or the delivery.

Fielding and Miller were the only good panelists. Garofalo and Enemybloke were poor, Peaches Gaga (or whoever she's supposed to be impersonating) was embarrassing.

Comment

It's been a long time since NMTB was compulsive viewing for me.

Comment

Not sure this rotating hosts will work for Buzzcocks just because it worked for "HIGNFY" which is a different animal altogether.

Comment

I've never found Amstell funny - belittling z-list celebrities with open-goal one-liners is as conservative and predictable as comedy gets these days.

Comment

Well, I thought that was OK, but then again I've got Low Standards. The thing I never liked about NMTB was the nastiness, so I thought Corden was OK. Better than in that bloody awful sketch show he did with his mate, at any rate.

I can't get this hating of Phill Jupitus either. He's not the funniest man in the world by a long stretch, but he seems amiable enough and has made me chuckle on occasions.

Comment

hobbes, I love you man & all, but The Mighty Boosh is a sub-par Hoxtonite Vic Reeves' Big Night Out. It's shit, and only saved from being utterly irredeemable by Fielding's charm (I genuinely liked him on Never Mind The Buzzcocks before).

Jupitus is acceptable, but not great. Saw him once open for Lemon Jelly at Somerset House; just embarrassing - he was clearly wankered and not interested. Everything he's done since has, fairly or unfairly, been coloured by that for me.

(Amstell's not my favourite, but he was a good choice to succeed Lamarr if you're going for [as E10 puts it, succinctly] belittling z-list celebrities as your source of humour.)

Comment

Z-list celebs knew that if they went on Buzzcocks they would get the shit ripped out of them, and they still turn up, just to 'maintain the profile', so fuck 'em if they're happy being a target.
                            Corden wasn't half as bad as I expected him to be, though Lamaar and Amstell would have crucified Garafolo and this months Winehouse impersonator.

Comment

WhatPriceBiscuits wrote:
                              Not sure this rotating hosts will work for Buzzcocks just because it worked for "HIGNFY" which is a different animal altogether.
                              It hasn't worked for 'HIGNFY' though, it's destroyed it. The dynamic of the show has gone without a permanent host who Merton and Hislop can play off. Merson had been coasting in a Hansenesque manner for years even before Deayton's removal and his so-called "surreal" riffs are incredibly tired while Hislop is frequently on auto-pilot too. Isn't it the case that they were both part of the decision to get rid of Deayton despite his "scandal" not really damaging the show?

It's still intermittently funny but slipped from must watch TV status some time ago. Too many of the guest hosts are examples of stunt casting with no aptitude for the job and I anly make a point of watching when it's people who fit the role such as Whathisname Armstrong (of "...and Miller") who really should have got the gig full time.

Comment

Z-list celebs knew that if they went on Buzzcocks they would get the shit ripped out of them, and they still turn up, just to 'maintain the profile', so fuck 'em if they're happy being a target.
                                Oh I'm not particularly bothered about z-listers getting upset, I just think that basing your comedy around shooting at these comedic fish in a barrel is lazy and conservative.

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote:
                                  WhatPriceBiscuits wrote:
                                  It hasn't worked for 'HIGNFY' though, it's destroyed it.
                                  Don't agree with that. Merton and Hislop have preserved the show's continuity while giving us priceless moments like Brian Blessed and Boris Johnson. If Merton was on auto-pilot before Deayton's removal then the show would not be any better off now if Deayton was still there.

Alexander Armstrong is probably the obvious choice for the job full-time but, with a few exceptions, I've enjoyed watching the majority of guest presenters.

Having said all that, Merton does need a kick up the arse. His need to dominate the room is quite tedious,

Comment

Enjoyed tonight's episode, Rhod Gilbert was funny, though I generally find him so. Liked the Manchester v cancer joke. Not sure how Alex James will do next week though.

Comment

Merton does need a kick up the arse. His need to dominate the room is quite tedious,
                                      It's the rest of them that need a kick up the arse. The only reason he comes across as attention-hungry is that he comes out with 12 ideas to the average participant's one. Hislop is embarassingly slack.

Comment

Lucia Lanigan wrote:
                                        Merton does need a kick up the arse. His need to dominate the room is quite tedious,
                                        It's the rest of them that need a kick up the arse. The only reason he comes across as attention-hungry is that he comes out with 12 ideas to the average participant's one. Hislop is embarassingly slack.
                                        Sorry Lucia but from what I've heard (from people who've been on the show) it's much more of the former than the latter.

Merton is very funny but he is starting to think that it is HIS show, you can also hear this whenever he's on "Just a Minute" on Radio 4, where he again tries to dominate the proceedings.

Also whilst I still find him funny some of his schtick has lost it's lustre and when you start really listening to him it's amazing how much of his freewheeling improvisation is actually very formulaic and often recycled.

Comment

I think that any of these shows lose something when the nastiness overtakes the humour (as E10 points out with NMTB) and the regulars feel too powerful (as Merton and Hislop did after Deayton's scandal)

With NMTB, this was always the problem with Lamarr and Amstell. It was irritating watching Jupits and Lamarr trying to get one over on Bill Bailey who was, at the time, far more talented or picking on soft targets with the "fish in the barrel" z-list celebs.

HIGNFY still has its moments mainly because of the more talented guests they can attract, often who can blow away Hislop and even Merton if he is being too lazy. Reginald D Hunter springs to mind.

Mock the week and, to an extent, Would I lie to You are more successful as they don't neccesarily need the antagonistic edge that the others do. With Frankie Boyle now leaving, it will lose the possibilty of him dominating that in future series as well.

Comment

I would like to comment that tonight's Buzzcocks was one of the poorest I've yet seen. Dermot O'Leary was utter crap and the whole thing was just about kept afloat by Noel Fielding.

Also, they should cease booking these empty-headed members of boy-bands. Once upon a time it was worth them being there to be ripped apart by Amstell but they contribute fuck-all to the entertainment value now he's gone.

Comment

I've always found the bit where former, craggy-faced stars of bands from long ago are placed in a police-line-up so as to identify them a fucking bore. The 'Get A Move On Factor' is extremely high when both sides are busy taking the piss out of their not-too-dignified personas. 'Is that OAP who looks like a shrivelled dick the drummer in China Crisis?'

Torture.

Comment

To coin a phrase more commonly heard at Villa Park, O'Leary is a tosser. Some of the guest hosts have been suprisingly good, such as Frank Skinner and Rhod Gilbert. O'Leary is a a peak-time host of lightweight moron programmes. An ascerbic night time quiz is way out of his remit.

Comment

What I like about the line-up is the sad willingness of faded stars to use it as a publicity vehicle for new projects. Could there be a more desperate means of self-promotion?

"That was Frank Maudsley, bassist with A Flock Of Seagulls - now touring as Frank Maudsley's A Flock Of Seagulls..."

My heart goes out to them.

Comment

Going back to HIGNFY. I caught up with Friday's episode last night and Merton offered absolutely nothing at all to the show.

It might have been partly due to having stunt booking disaster of the decade Bob Crow next to him but that shouldn't be an excuse for a an experienced performer and it led to one "team" being an absolute comedy void.

Hislop, Carr and Armstrong tried to keep it going (the latter showing again he should have been made permanent host) but the show's tiredness echoed out again.

Conversely, I also watched the first of the new run of QI which I had been losing interest in over recent series but a top notch set of panelists (Mitchell, O'Briain & Brydon) made it an excellent return to form.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X