I've just made chutney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just made chutney

Never thought I'd say that a few years ago, but I've really got into using fruit and veg that I've grown myself. This was made with the cooking apples that my mother gave me.
    It'll probably taste fucking awful, mind.

I've just made chutney

I was given some greengage and ginger chutney, recently, by a friend (at least, he used to be!).

I cant throw it out, but I will need to be hypnotised to try it. And I am usually brave about eating weird shit.

Sean: I hope you remembered the greaseproof circles on the top of the chutney!

Comment

I've just made chutney

Making chutney should be a euphemism.

Comment

I've just made chutney

Greengage and ginger chutney sounds interesting enough to at least give it a try.

Comment

I've just made chutney

It may well be the highlight of my evening: I will have a go.

Comment

I've just made chutney

It was ok actually... but not really spicy enough for my palate. I cant see anything I might eat it with. I will wait for my mate to come for dinner, and see if he eats it!

Comment

I've just made chutney

You can serve it with little crackers for an appetizer, no?

Comment

I've just made chutney

Its not that nice, bit bland.

I love the Sharwoods chutneys, and the stuff you can get in Indian restaurants (with a high 'blow your nuts off' factor).

Comment

I've just made chutney

My dad makes alot of chutney. He's the chutney king. Piccalilli, too. Anyone coming to the Kendal Beer Festival (14th - 17th October) will get the chance to taste just how good his chutney is.

Comment

I've just made chutney

I love a good chutney. I've always got a tomato one, and a mango one, in the fridge, to go with the curries I cook. I don't make my own chutneys though, I hasten to add, that's a proper cooking skill. Chutney is an Indian thing, isn't it? I always thought so. Fruit, vinegar and spices, and that.

Comment

I've just made chutney

Gerontophile wrote:

Sean: I hope you remembered the greaseproof circles on the top of the chutney!
                      What is the purpose of greaseproof circles?
                      It didn't mention them in the recipe, not that I followed it precisely. I used molasses sugar, and I didn't have pickling spice, so I used Chinese five spice, and I bunged in some chilli flakes and cumin seeds for good measure, to give it that kick that I too enjoy.
                      I've now got to wait for a couple of months for it to mature now, so if I remember, I'll let you know how it went.
                      Those of you who think it sounds difficult, it's not. The only downside is the house smells of sweet boiled vinegar, and has done all evening.

Comment

I've just made chutney

I have absolutely no idea about the circle thingies. Just that everytime I have seen homemade preserves (and ssome shop bought) they have been sat on top. Maybe they appear after a month or so?

Comment

I've just made chutney

I have absolutely no idea about the circle thingies
                          I think (though can't be sure) they are to stop the vinegars, etc in the chutney from reacting with the metal lids of the jars and making the chutney inedible...

Hope yours turn out OK Sean....

Comment

I've just made chutney

Ah, now then - chutney. Here I have to say that I have been known to make some very tasty stuff indeed - first the apricot one and then the plum. They're great with cheese or cold meat.

Still, my mum's green tomato chutney is without a doubt the greatest I've ever tasted. I recently finished off a jar that was made in 2006, and it was first-class.

Comment

I've just made chutney

EIM wrote:
                              Making chutney should be a euphemism.
                              I'm going to begin using it as an expression of distaste.

"I've just seen those anti-obama picket signs. I've just made chutney".

Or perhaps as an expression of fear.

"Look at the size of that spider! I've just made chutney".

(Incidentally, do I end a sentence with ". or ." ?)

Comment

I've just made chutney

Fairly sure it's (.").

Comment

I've just made chutney

There was a surfeit of pineapples and peaches here last week, so we made Punchy Pineapple Relish (v. hot with all those red chillies) and Sticky Peach Chutney (cheekily fruity with a hint of cinnamon and nutmeg). Chutney making is the new black...

Comment

I've just made chutney

Maybe it already is a euphemism. I once heard somebody referred to as a "chutney ferret". Don't know what it might have been a euphemism for though.

Comment

I've just made chutney

I've heard it before, I think it's a derogatory term for a homosexual.

Comment

I've just made chutney

People use derogatory terms for homosexuals? Well bugger me.

Comment

I've just made chutney

I tried it last night and have to say it was pretty good (well I would wouldn't I). I had it with some cheese and then with gammon. It's got a kick from the chilli plus the tang from the apples. It's encouraged me do try one with onions now.

Comment

I've just made chutney

My mum makes a lot of er preserves & relishes with spare stuff off the allotment. I feel I ought to try some now. Does anyone like jam? Does anyone want some jam? We have jam coming out of our ears. I can't look at it. Jaaaaaaam.

Wolf. Now. The punctuation of reported speech. As far as I'm aware, in British English if a full sentence is contained within the quotation marks then so is the full stop. eg I said, "Thank you for the gift of chutney." Likewise if a quotation was interrupted. "Thank you for the chutney, "I said, "it was delicious." If the quotation is not a full sentence, UK English would again put the punctuation where it logically belongs - this time, outside. She calls it "chutney", but that sounds odd.

Americans however almost always place the comma or full stop inside the quotation mark, even though this looks "dumb," see, and is "ugly." Like that.

Comment

I've just made chutney

Jam Circus?

Comment

I've just made chutney

Pump Up The Jam?

Comment

I've just made chutney

Jam On It?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X