Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very important news

'Unsinkable' biscuit made from sweet potato

Dunking biscuits in your tea is to become a less soggy experience, with the launch of the first "unsinkable" biscuit.

By Matthew Moore

Published: 1:18PM BST 02 Sep 2009

A chef claims to have created a snack that can be dipped in tea for up to two minutes without breaking, meaning drinkers will no longer have to fish sodden lumps from the bottom of their mugs.

The biscuit owes its strength to a special ingredient, sweet potato, according to Felice Tocchini of the Fusion Brasserie restaurant in Worcester.

He has declined to disclose the recipe but says that slivers of the vegetable are mixed in with layers of oat and flour doughs to help resist the ravages of dunking. Each biscuit is then finished with an egg-based glaze.

While most digestives will begin to crumble after around 10 seconds in a hot drink, Mr Tocchini claims that his Worcester Feast Dunker regularly lasts for 60 seconds and can go for double that time.

"We tried a lot of different mixtures trying to make sure the biscuit wouldn't break up and die in the cup – it's virtually unsinkable," the 44-year-old said.

"I'm very pleased with the result and they taste lovely. I'm keeping the recipe quiet."

He added: "The trouble with ordinary biscuits is that they were never designed to be dunked – a few seconds in hot tea or coffee and they simply disintegrate."

The biscuits, which come in several flavours including ginger and lavender, and cinnamon and ginger, will be unveiled at the Worcester Feast food festival on Friday, although there are currently no plans for them to be sold nationwide
    "Ginger and lavender"?

Very important news

Dunking biscuits in tea ruins the tea, and should only be practised by people who drink bad tea.

Comment

Very important news

Why would anybody want to hold a biscuit in their tea for two minutes? If it doesn't fall apart, the biscuit will be three times the size and you'll have no drink left.

Comment

Very important news

I like dunking chocolate biccies in tea.

But then I am a slob.

Comment

Very important news

If "bad tea" is PG Tips/Twining's Breakfast Tea with milk & sugar then I don't want to be right and a biscuit dunked in it is lovely.

I'm still processing the "ginger and lavender" news, I think the reason it may not disintegrate in tea is because it's actually potpourri.

Comment

Very important news

With lavender flavoured biscuits, I reckon this bloke is the original creator of Parma Violets, just trying another sneaky way of getting floral perfume flavoured snacks onto our shelves.

Not that I've ever understood the concept of biscuit dunking. Makes the biscuit too soggy and the drink too bitty.

Comment

Very important news

Harry Truscott wrote:
              'Unsinkable' biscuit made from sweet potato

Dunking biscuits in your tea is to become a less soggy experience, with the launch of the first "unsinkable" biscuit.

By Matthew Moore

Published: 1:18PM BST 02 Sep 2009

A chef claims to have created a snack that can be dipped in tea for up to two minutes without breaking, meaning drinkers will no longer have to fish sodden lumps from the bottom of their mugs.

The biscuit owes its strength to a special ingredient, sweet potato, according to Felice Tocchini of the Fusion Brasserie restaurant in Worcester.

He has declined to disclose the recipe but says that slivers of the vegetable are mixed in with layers of oat and flour doughs to help resist the ravages of dunking. Each biscuit is then finished with an egg-based glaze.

While most digestives will begin to crumble after around 10 seconds in a hot drink, Mr Tocchini claims that his Worcester Feast Dunker regularly lasts for 60 seconds and can go for double that time.

"We tried a lot of different mixtures trying to make sure the biscuit wouldn't break up and die in the cup – it's virtually unsinkable," the 44-year-old said.

"I'm very pleased with the result and they taste lovely. I'm keeping the recipe quiet."

He added: "The trouble with ordinary biscuits is that they were never designed to be dunked – a few seconds in hot tea or coffee and they simply disintegrate."

The biscuits, which come in several flavours including ginger and lavender, and cinnamon and ginger, will be unveiled at the Worcester Feast food festival on Friday, although there are currently no plans for them to be sold nationwide
              "Ginger and lavender"?
              You need to buy a dictionary and look up the meanings of the words "very", "important", and "news".

In any case, the whole point is that the biscuit does go soggy - to a lesser or greater degree - it then becomes an issue of skill and taste on behalf of the dunker just how "firm" (or otherwise) they want the dunkee to be.

Comment

Very important news

If "bad tea" is PG Tips/Twining's Breakfast Tea with milk & sugar then I don't want to be right and a biscuit dunked in it is lovely.
                Count me in with HT, although Yorkshire Tea Hardwater Blend is the King of Tea.
                Surely this is the definition of Very important news?

Comment

Very important news

Villain wrote:

But then I am a slob.
                  Please tell me you don't drink your tea out of the saucer?

Comment

Very important news

This is preposterous and infuriating.

Comment

Very important news

Guy Potger wrote:
                      Villain wrote:

But then I am a slob.
                      Please tell me you don't drink your tea out of the saucer?
                      That would involve using a teacup, and I can assure you nothing so twee exists in this house.

Comment

Very important news

The whole concept of drinking "tea" is almost like putting a poster up in your front window proclaiming "I wish the British Empire still ruled India, and could carry on virtually enslaving all its people to grow pleasant but almost useless drugs for my pleasure instead of basic foodstuffs for their own children".

That might need a snappier catchphrase, admittedly. And it's just me trying out a Frankie Boyle "exasperated" line.

Comment

Very important news

Do you want a fight?

Comment

Very important news

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote:
                            The whole concept of drinking "tea" is almost like putting a poster up in your front window proclaiming "I wish the British Empire still ruled India, and could carry on virtually enslaving all its people to grow pleasant but almost useless drugs for my pleasure instead of basic foodstuffs for their own children".

That might need a snappier catchphrase, admittedly. And it's just me trying out a Frankie Boyle "exasperated" line.
                            Rogin, that's only half the picture. Don't forget about forcing people to buy highly addictive drugs so that we can have a better selection of tea.

Comment

Very important news

But beware the real dangers of tea and biscuits.

Comment

Working...
                              X