Ill Advised Remakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ill Advised Remakes

Edge Of Darkness starring.... Mel Gibson.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04...e_of_darkness/

What is Martin Campbell thinking of?

Ill Advised Remakes

I have no idea what Edge of Darkness is, but if we are going to make a list, I'd like to get in Psycho early.

Comment

Ill Advised Remakes

Isn't the answer to this virtually all of them?

I've nothing against remakes in principle, but surely the best premise for a remake is to redo a rubbish film that had some good ideas in it. Instead they generally redo good stuff and make it worse.

The only worthy exceptions that spring to mind are the two remakes of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, both of which I quite liked. Especially the Donald Sutherland one.

Comment

Ill Advised Remakes

Breathless, featuring Richard Gere. What a load of old cock.

Comment

Ill Advised Remakes

Yeah, the instinctive answer is "all of them", but that would include His Girl Friday and The Maltese Falcon.

All of them since 1960?

Comment

Ill Advised Remakes

I have no idea what Edge of Darkness is
            Seek out the DVD - it is quite brilliant.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090424/

Comment

Ill Advised Remakes

Day of the Jackal. The first was brilliant, the second unutterably awful.

Comment

Ill Advised Remakes

The Thing From Another World and The Thing.

Both great films, just different approaches.

I really like the remakes of Assault on Precinct 13 and Dawn of the Dead, as well.

Comment

Ill Advised Remakes

Ill-advised remake: The Italian Job

Well-advised remake: Ocean's 11.

Ill-advised sequal: Ocean's 12.

Comment

Ill Advised Remakes

King On The Rye wrote:
                    Breathless, featuring Richard Gere. What a load of old cock.
                    I had this film on VHS when I was a teenager, I never watched the whole film but there were two or three scenes that were practically worn out through constant rewinding and freeze framing.

Mmmmm...Valérie Kaprisky...

Comment

Ill Advised Remakes

Anything European nicked by Hollywood, notably the superb The Vanishing ... director, of both, George Sluizer's fault.

Comment

Ill Advised Remakes

The Fly is a bloody good remake.

A couple years ago Fox sanctioned another remake of The Fly. I can only assume that the project has been shelved.

Comment

Ill Advised Remakes

Have I mentioned before how much I hate Paul Schrader's remake of Cat People? Well I'm doing it again.

Comment

Ill Advised Remakes

May I mention "City of Angels". Nicholas Cage. I cannot say more.

Comment

Ill Advised Remakes

Worst. Actor. Ever.

Except for Cuba Gooding Jr in 'A Murder of Crows'. A case of 'first mate not ready to be captain' if ever there was one.

Comment

Ill Advised Remakes

The Thing From Another World and The Thing.

Both great films, just different approaches.

I really like the remakes of Assault on Precinct 13 and Dawn of the Dead, as well.

All very good remakes, as is the '78 version of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (it's on again next week - lovely jubbly!). Actually, the more I watch it, the more I think it's a fucking great film.

If you get a few cans of alcoholic libation, a lazy night with nothing on telly and an 'I'll Watch Anything' mood simmering within you, then Tim Burton's Planet Of The Apes remake is just the ticket.

As sober, essential viewing, it's a mess. A good-looking mess, but a mess, nontheless.

Comment

Ill Advised Remakes

I really like the remakes of Assault on Precinct 13

Well Maria Bello is very good, and Laurence Fishburne is plenty watchable, but Ethan Hawke was a plank of wood in this and the ending? WTF was that all about?

I'm shocked at you lot - 15 posts on a "bad remakes" thread and nobody's mentioned the Sly Stallone Get Carter yet.

Comment

Ill Advised Remakes

George Sluizer's own remake of The Vanishing. Just a slight U-turn on the ending there, no problem eh George.

Comment

Ill Advised Remakes

Sleuth (2007)- what where they thinking?

Comment

Ill Advised Remakes

The Wicker Man. I'd love to know how that production meeting went.

"Okay, we'll got Nicolas Cage to take the Edward Woodward role."
                                        "But Cage is a sex symbol, no-one will believe that he's a virgin. We'll have to tweak the plot a bit."
                                        "Good thought. I know, let's make him scared of bees."

Comment

Ill Advised Remakes

can we please have a worst actor thread? please? please?

Comment

Ill Advised Remakes

He should have followed Fafblog's emergency flowchart:
                                            in case of emergency
                                            1. Is there an emergency?
                                            a. Yes!
                                            - Quick! Break glass in case of emergency.
                                            - Oh no, now I'm all cut and bleeding on this broken glass!
                                            - Sounds like an emergency! Quick, break more glass.
                                            - Okay, I broke the glass! Now what?
                                            - Oh no, what'd you do that for! You needed that glass for the emergency!
                                            - Oh, what do I do now!
                                            - Quick, glue your glass back together while there's still time! Then break it. Hurry, it's an emergency!
                                            b. Why no, everything's fine.
                                            - Are you sure?
                                            - Well... not that sure...
                                            - Just to be on the safe side, better panic. In case there's an emergency!
                                            - Sure I'm sure! Just checked this morning. No emergencies here!
                                            - Are you sure you're sure you're sure? 'Cause those emergencies, they're pretty tricky.
                                            - Yep! We got the emergency alarm and the emergency detector and all the emergency traps and there isn't a single little emergency.
                                            - Well now that's pretty suspicious. 'Cause if I were an emergency I'd go around disguising myself as a complete lack of emergencies.
                                            - Ohmigod - that's what I've got right now! What do I do!
                                            - First, get some glass. And quick! It's an emergency!

2. What's the emergency?
                                            a. Bees
                                            b. Angry bees
                                            c. Giant killer angry bees
                                            d. Fire!
                                            - Started by bees?
                                            - Yes! Those are some crafty, crafty bees.
                                            - Yes! I didn't think so at first but the more I look at the evidence the more convincing this bee theory sounds.
                                            - I want to say no but there's just no way you can rule out bees!
                                            e. Other
                                            - Probably bees

3. Emergency Bee Response Action Plan (EBRAP)
                                            a. Negotiated settlement
                                            - Too soft
                                            - Appeasing the bees will only embolden future bees
                                            b. Retaliatory air strike against the bee homeland
                                            - Too risky
                                            - Ensuing drop in global honey production would alienate key allies like the Hundred Acre Woods and Candyland
                                            - Further violence only perpetuates the cycle of mistrust and misunderstanding between man and bee
                                            c. Ritual hand-to-hand combat with bee champion
                                            - Too difficult
                                            - You have the weight advantage but the bee wants it more
                                            - Biased bee referees will always rule in favor of the bee
                                            d. Escape
                                            - Recommended!
                                            - You will need:
                                            - Feet (two)
                                            - Bee costume (for camouflage)
                                            - Secret map of the Bee Kingdom (with marked escape routes)
                                            - Hidden cyanide capsule (better to die on your feet than to live with the bees)
                                            - Escape Plan
                                            - First, Create A Distraction
                                            - What kind of distraction?
                                            - You know, anything likely to get a bee's attention - loud noises, fire, spraying lots of bee spray
                                            - Oh no, now I'm being stung by lots of bees!
                                            - Oh, how did that happen! Quick, go back to Step One. It sounds like an emergency!

Comment

Working...
                                            X