Return of the night shift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So where do you stand on the salami issue? Yup or nope? I'm going to go with no, but only because I'm a dirty controversialist who likes to do as he pleases without considering reprisals.

I also leave out those fucking pickles.

Comment

I can think of several salami issues, especially in French - which did you have in mind?

One of my favourite sandwiches to make when I'm bored involves a lot of hot genoa salami. I need to find a good bun for it, maybe from the Portuguese bakery down the street. Then about 100 grams of the salami, some cappicollo, mayo, mustard, and as many kinds of cheeses as I have in the fridge (usually, some mix of cheddar, havarti and danish blue).

What really makes the Phil's sandwich is the sauce. They have two big containers of BBQ sauce at each table - sweet and hot. Take off the top piece of bread, cover the pork an inch thick in the stuff until its streaming down your wrist, replace bun then eat. You don't even really have to chew, it just sort of melts in your mouth.

Comment

Salami in a Cuban sandwich. Apparently it's de rigueur, or whatever the Spanish version of that is, in Tampa, where the Italian and Cuban communities lived side by side. In Miami, if you were to put salami in a Cuban sandwich, they'd drag you out back and cut you.

Comment

Cuban revolution uses salami, so I'm going to have to say yes. But I'm with you on the pickle front.

Comment

If somebody dragged you out back and cut you in Miami, how would you know it because of the sandwich? There are so many things that can get you cut there: expressing admiration for Hugo Chavez, giggling at the seemingly endless parade of hotchickswithdouchebags, etc.

Comment

The pickles are what make me never order a Cuban sandwich. There's a Cuban bakery in Glendale (a city NE of Downtown LA) called Porto's, and their Cuban sandwich is supposed to be great, but I'm afraid to order it asking for no pickles (I hate anything other than sweet pickles). I instead just fill up on their amazing cheese- and guava-filled pastries.

Just finished doing a load of laundry, and I shaved--I dislike shaving in the morning. Like to get it out of the way at night.

Comment

You'd better have an ulterior motive if you're stepping into this thread, dude.

Comment

Why can't you just take the pickles out by hand?

Comment

I eat pulled pork fairly often.

My favorite pulled pork sandwich.

Comment

You drive 3.5 hours for pulled pork? That's impressive.

Or is that not the specific pulled pork place you eat at fairly often?

Comment

The latter. That's not one I eat often. I haven't been to Pierces in about 10 years. That was the first place I ever had a really good one, however.

My college roomate and I are contemplating doing a Bourdain-like tour of all the great pig-out places around Williamsburg that we loved in college. Pierces would be the first stop.

Comment

What the hell is pulled pork?

Comment

Bodean's do a pretty good pulled pork sandwich. I hardly ever eat it, though, because where else are you going to get good ribs in London?

Comment

A recipe for pulled pork

It's barbecued (slow cooked) pork (I guess it's pork butt usually) that falls apart into shreads so to put it on a sandwich, you pull it apart until it's a pile o' pork. Depending on which part of the country you're from, the precise style of barbecuing and personal preference, the pork has a sauce or a rub on it to begin with or you put the sauce on it after it's done.

My mom makes a version in the crockpot with tenderloin and store-bought barbecue sauce. Not the best BBQ, but very good given how easy that is to do.

Comment

I watched a show on BBQ where guys cook the pork in a backyard pit over smoldering embers for a day or two. It's covered in sauce and tightly wrapped in foil and pretty much buried in an oxygen-starved mound. But man, does it fall apart easy and look damn good.

Comment

Urgh, the only time I tried that particular US speciality (in a Hard Rock Cafe, admittedly), it tasted like it had been marinated in motor-oil. Terrible stuff.

Not even the excitement of sitting underneath Janis Joplin's blouse could make up for it.

Comment

Antonio Gramsci wrote:
                                    Why can't you just take the pickles out by hand?
                                    Because the disgusting pickle juice has by then touched the meat and bread, and if I taste any hint of pickle in a bite, I can't appreciate the sandwich at all.

Comment

I love pickles.

I had the pulled-pork at one of the Hard Rock Cafes here once. I dont' recall which one - Washington, Baltimore, Boston, New York, whatever - and don't recall it being especially bad or especially good. Perhaps the one where Mitch tried it was just doing it wrong.

Comment

Would you expect to get anything really good at a Hard Rock Cafe, though? I mean, I don't think it would be terrible, but I don't think it would be the best representative of what you could get as far as one item is concerned.

Comment

It was more than 'doing it wrong' Reed; I don't think it was technically food.

But I still ate it obviously, and even said I really liked it when the waiter asked. But then, I do become a parody of an English tourist when I'm abroad...

I'd love to try a decent version of that recipe though.

Comment

Good barbecue joints are one of the handful of things that I try to think about whenever I start to despair about America, as I have been lately. Not only for the food but the atmosphere of a good place like that. They're one of the last American institutions that brings together people of all races and classes.

At the aforementioned Pierce's Pitt Barbecue near Williamsburg (it's not in the tourist part. It's in a random location in the woods off the access road off I 60, as I recall) is that you'd always see beat-up pick-up trucks next to new Mercedes in the parking lot.

The Food Network and The Travel Channel have done lots of shows about bbq. Diners, Drive-ins and Dives has gone to a lot of BBQ joints and there have been some shows on the big BBQ competitions. You could probably watch some of that stuff on the web.

Comment

Veering off topic for a moment, which is kind of the point of this thread, this club we're launching on Saturday is fucked all ready. If no one turns up we're fucked. If they do, we're fucked as nothing works. The last manager of this place really was quite something.

Comment

Club? You mean a football club? Another one?

Comment

Reed of the Valley People wrote:
                                                  Good barbecue joints are one of the handful of things that I try to think about whenever I start to despair about America, as I have been lately. Not only for the food but the atmosphere of a good place like that. They're one of the last American institutions that brings together people of all races and classes.

At the aforementioned Pierce's Pitt Barbecue near Williamsburg (it's not in the tourist part. It's in a random location in the woods off the access road off I 60, as I recall) is that you'd always see beat-up pick-up trucks next to new Mercedes in the parking lot.

The Food Network and The Travel Channel have done lots of shows about bbq. Diners, Drive-ins and Dives has gone to a lot of BBQ joints and there have been some shows on the big BBQ competitions. You could probably watch some of that stuff on the web.
                                                  Reed, you might be interested in reading this piece from the New Yorker last year about a barbecue placed outside of Austin named by Texas Monthly as the best barbecue spot in the state (they had never singled out one place as #1 before), when it was almost completely unkown. The place, Snow's is only open on Saturday mornings, starting at 8 am and until the meat runs out.

Comment

EIM, do one of those silent discos, where kids show up and dance to the music of their iPods. Then you just have to do a light show.

Or do a complete DIY disco, where they have to bring their own flashlights, etc, plus iPod. Then you can just hit them for three pounds for a bottle of water.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X