Return of the night shift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's half past three, the rain is battering the roof, and my five quid bedside lamp is doing the best it can to illuminate my oddly unwelcoming room.

I've got to get up in five hours to blanket flyer Lancaster. I've been made Entertainments Manager for a horrendous nightclub in town. It sounds a cushy number, but really it isn't. But it involves me earning enough money to both live and eat. So for that I'm grateful.

To my right is a duck and Eric Cantona. They're not helping matters. Nor is Football Manger, and my sudden addiction to downloading hundreds of albums I'll never, ever, listen to.

No one is going to turn up to opening night next week, and it'll all be the duck's fault. I hope he's happy.

Could be worse?

Get down to The Giant Axe for the next home game and, er, double your crowd?

Comment

Its 11:02pm where I am.

I'm now heading off to bed as I have to be at work at half seven in the morning. The life of an IT drone is one that is filled with adventure...

Comment

11:12 PM now. Warm out. My son turned 4 today. They're all up north again, and now I'm back in the city and working tomorrow. Watching the new Mad Men at the moment, then off to bed.

The cat got skunked Thursday night, so now he's wailing to get out and I'm under strict orders to not let him. It's a lovely sound.

Comment

There's a clock on the far wall in my room. I don't pay much heed to it usually, as time isn't a major concern of mine.

I'm paying attention to it tonight as I've just realised it only tics and tocs when the second hand is between 12 and 6. Between 6 and 12, the thing is silent.

It's highly disconcerting.

Comment

11:28 and I'm just taking a look at the board for the first time today, having written a mammoth book review for Pitch Invasion and (almost) finished a chapter for a report I'm writing.

I've missed the night shift, EIM. Selfish of me to say so, I know, but there we are.

Comment

The letter isn't going so well. I can't decide how to start it. It needs to be tongue in cheek familiar, but cheesily over-familiar. It needs to be warmly witty, but not annoyingly zany. It needs to be inconsequential without being irrelevant. I think I'll just go with "Hello."

Football Manager is going a lot better. And I'm about to start watching the director's cut of Watchmen. I don't imagine I'll make it much past the first ten minutes or so, but if memory serves, that was the best bit anyway.

I'm hungry.

Comment

Have some duck, EIM.

Comment

EIM - your first line is very similar to the first line of Jesse Colin Young's 'Four in the Morning' - ok, that's an hour later.

It gets a bit grimmer for him later in the song. Hope you had a nicer day.

Comment

OH GOD I'M TIRED.

The flyers have arrived, but my boss hasn't. He's got a Mai Tai hangover. And anyone who has ever had a Mai Tai hangover will know exactly why he can't move. Last time I drank Mai Tais, I could only communicate through blinking for three days afterwards.

Still. Not to worry. I'll face the combined forces of the Lancaster and Morecambe press on my own. And as soon as he can feel his legs once more, he can walk round town handing out horrible, horrible flyers.

Comment

I did leafletting once. It was crap.

On the bright side, at least you can console yourself with the knowledge that your job is not quite as pointless as mine. I am now in my fifth week of opening a library every morning that I know will not have a single visitor. But, if your employers give you a contract whereby you have to work school holidays even though your library is in a school, and therefore no one comes in, then you have to turn up.

Comment

That sounds like my ideal job. Pointlessness is my preferred bedfellow.

Comment

I've got a minging headache. It's a mixture of afternoon/early evening drinking, and the excitement of coming back from 4-1 down to draw 4-4 in the Champions League quarter final second leg. A last minute goal from John Carew sealed a 7-6 aggregate win.

I'm not in work until 1pm today. I'm not sure what it is that I'll be doing exactly, but I'm certain it's going to involve me traipsing. I do a lot of traipsing.

IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE?

It doesn't matter what time I get in bed, the minute I do, it starts raining. Odd, that.

Comment

I take it you're no longer managing FCUM in this game.

Comment

Different game. I was playing two player co-op with my Villa supporting flatmate on Pro Ev.

The FCUM game on FM09 is going well. A thorough overhaul of the squad has left me feeling moderately confident of improving on my 9th place in the Conference finish from last season.

Comment

EIM wrote:
                                It doesn't matter what time I get in bed, the minute I do, it starts raining. Odd, that.
                                You are Rob McKenna , AICMFP

Comment

I hate rain. All those bastards with umbrellas.

Comment

pebblethefish wrote:
                                    if your employers give you a contract whereby you have to work school holidays even though your library is in a school, and therefore no one comes in, then you have to turn up
                                    The hours must race by. How do you while them away, pebblethefish?

Comment

Playing corridor cricket against the lab technicians of course. Isn't that how everyone passes the time?

Comment

I'm still hungry, but it's not raining.

Do you think if I wrote to Cuba, c/o Raul Castro, he'd send me some posters for the bar? I don't see why not.

Also, I'm bored. I'm thinking of getting a unit in the indoor market, and opening a bookshop. Which is an idea doomed to failure, but fuck it eh? At least I'd be failing on my terms.

All this talk of Cuba has made me want to watch Che. But, you know, it's a bit long. It's also made me want to eat some sort of pork based sandwich, which brings me back to my opening sentence.

Comment

My eyes itch.

Comment

Mine do too. In fact, the last few search terms in my google search box have been about itchy eyes. I just took a shower to try and clean them, and it has worked a little. At least now I can open my eyes. And they've stopped streaming.

Comment

Visine. Works wonders. Or the business end of a fork.

Comment

EIM has me thinking of pork sandwiches now. I have two favourite pork sandwiches. The first is the pulled pork sandwich at Phil's BBQ at the corner of College and Ossington. Mmmm.

Now, as far as specifically Cuban sandwiches go, the ones at Cuban Revolution in Providence, Rhode Island are fucking spectacular.

Now I'm hungry and all I have in the house is some bread to toast, some carrots, hummous and a lonely tin of tuna. What can I make out of that?

Comment

Something fucking horrible.

The pulled pork butty is a thing of rare beauty. Sadly, they;re not at all common over here. Same goes for a Cuban sarnie, obviously. I tried making my own one the other week, but it's dead hard getting the bread right.

I couldn't get Che working - no subtitles. I'm watching Pirates of the Caribbean in an attempt to make me sleep. It's not working.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X