Field of Dreams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Field of Dreams

Not long ago I had a dream that I was driving in Germany (I was driving back to London for some reason, in my own car, never mind how I got my car to Europe or expected to get it back or why I'd drive from Germany to London). In my dream, I was driving through Frankfurt and saw a big stadium decided I wanted a football shirt as a souvenir so I pulled over and went in to find the club shop.

Out of curiosity, I looked up what the stadiums in Frankfurt actually look like. I've never been to Frankfurt, made any plans to go there care about any of their football clubs or knew what their ground looked like yet the real stadium where Eintract play (Commerzbank Arena) looks a hell of a lot like the stadium in my dream. A lot. My only connection whatsoever with the club or the city is seeing Eintract play on FSC on Saturday mornings when I used to get FSC on cable.

It's uncanny. Especially with the trees in the back and the way it has some sort of glass facade on the outside and not a lot of exposed scaffolding like most big outdoor stadiums I've been to. The only difference is that the stadium in my dream was a bit bigger (taller) and the dominant team color was red, not yellow.

So I went inside and it was like a big enclosed and carpeted atrium between the outside and the field. That's probably not how it really is. There were some older people hanging around at little tables set up sort of in the concourse, like a cafe. I somehow managed to ask, auf Deutsch, where the club shop was. It's remarkable that in my dream it occurred to me to use the term "club shop" because in the US it's usually called the "Team Store."

Weird.

Field of Dreams

Hmmmmm.

No carpet, but:

Comment

Field of Dreams

It was not unlike that. However, on the far side of those steps, there was a ramp going up to the next level.

I also just noticed that Eintracht's home shirts this year are the same colors as the dominant decorating scheme in my dream. I didn't know that before I just looked it up. I always get Eintrachy mixed up with Schalke.

Perhaps I dreamed a future more handicap accessible upgrade of the stadium.

Comment

Field of Dreams

The next level has the first set of executive boxes:

but I don't think that there is a ramp.

And the club shop is called the "Teamshop".

The especially weird thing for me is that you seem to somehow know this place better than I do, and I lived in FFM for three years (though they hadn't finished the rebuilding when we left).

Comment

Field of Dreams

That would explain why the woman I asked about the club shop was confused at first.

It is uncanny.

Comment

Working...
          X