No announcement yet.

It's Flying Ants Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Thumbs Up for Greenlander's avatar.

I'd never known there was a flying ants day. But every time this thread cropped up on OTF, I'd either just been or just about to go outside (in London), and there were swarms of the little sods. And only when this thread was around. I'm not sure whether flying ants caused this thread to appear or this thread caused the ants to appear, but they were definitely correlated.

Comment

Just a sec, I appeared to have posted on this thread in the past. Weird.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
        No such bird as the seagull...

I don't think flying ant day is a thing up north. Not seen one for years. Typical northern attitude, that. Get on with their ant job without fanfare while the southern lot demand a special day for just being a fucking ant.
        It would have been flying ant day in Old Trafford yesterday if we hadn't just had new paving put down. A few managed to make out of the nest but I was pleased no end with the image of dozens more spending a frustrating day banging their annoying little heads on cement.

Comment

I don't think flying ant day is a thing up north. Not seen one for years. Typical northern attitude, that. Get on with their ant job without fanfare while the southern lot demand a special day for just being a fucking ant.
          I asked Pete on the gate, our resident twitcher, what they should be called and he just looked up from his Times crossword and told me to "fuck off". He's the hardest 60 year old in town so I didn't argue.

In other insect eating news our Parsons terrier has developed a penchant for catching and devouring flies.

Comment

You'd call it whichever type of Gull it is. I'd expect most people would think of a Herring Gull as a Seagull.

Comment

It's happening in Washington today.

Comment

What eat flying ants? Just I'm next to a wildfowl park, if they get out of their cages the birds could send the whole area into a dive-bombing frenzy.

Comment

They are out today round here. A bit early compared to some earlier years looking through the thread. Must be the weather.

Comment

Out in force in Deptford too.

Comment

Pinner : check
                      Harrow : check

Comment

City of London speeding back to N16. This lot don’t have a choice as they’re on the train, maybe they’ll end up going to Enfield.

Comment

They can fuck right off

Comment

Or get off in Stoke Newie?

Comment

Just seen this now. Manc must be too polluted with coke and self loathing/self-aggrandizement for the ants to do what ants do. My Maw’s garden would often get a swarm of the fuckers crawling out of the patio and the path to the tenement front door then taking flight on their shitty wings. Horrible shites. We were about the furthest north where any silly cunt has tried viniculture on Britain, so can’t be the latitude.
                              Last edited by Lang Spoon; 04-07-2018, 19:50.

Comment

Don’t tread on an ant, he’s done nothing to you.

Comment

wise words

Comment

It's swimming ant day over here.

Comment

Still don’t like em but, though won’t kill em on purpose.

Comment

Not had FAD here yet, but just enjoyed a re-read of the OP now I know Neil's voice from the podcast.

Comment

Not seen a single one here today, which is surprising as I get the impression sometimes that this borough is just a thin skim of concrete over a giant ants nest.

Comment

They made an appearance at Wimbledon, it got mentioned in commentary and the players in the game were said to be complaining about them.

Comment

Flying ant day isn't a thing

Comment

The ants of South Cambs agree with you, EIM. Of they didn't get the memo*, one of the two...

* - I wonder if anyone under the age of 20 knows what a memo is? This phrase is going to morph to 'didn't get a notification' in very short order, isn't it?

Comment

We get them in the "proper north"

None of your "made up for television Manchester north" here in Sheffield

(Haven't noticed ours this year yet though)

Comment

Flying ant day isn't a thing
                                                    Sir,

Don't be a cunt.

Regards,
                                                    C-d-f.

PS Depends where you live. I have so many spiders in my house that nothing under three feet is alive, and I worry about my morning hummingbirds. (That was not a euphemism.)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X