It's Flying Ants Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Flying Ants Day

Janik wrote: The scientists do not say "It's a myth". That is the BBC's contraction, which is actually not a contraction but a misrepresentation.
    What he actually says is "Although flying ant day across the country is a bit of a myth, actually there's a fairly tight window pretty much nationally when they're coming out". Which is far more equivocal than the headline makes it sound.

Typcial press problem of needing an event to have one single, simple explanation. They really cope badly with anything a little complex.
    "Typical Press"?

Nah. Typical BBC more like. Time to clip their wings, methinks. Something the government should be addressing!

Comment

It's Flying Ants Day

Plenty around when I got back to Bromley last night. No wings though, so it must have been a couple of hours earlier.

Comment

It's Flying Ants Day

Apparently it's their day in Pinner today. But I'm inside with the windows shut and the air-conditioning on, so I can't confirm it...

Comment

It's Flying Ants Day

We've got them here today as well.

Comment

It's Flying Ants Day

The little fuckers.

They aren't ants, though, the flying ones, are they?

Comment

It's Flying Ants Day

My spies tell me it is happening in York today.

Comment

It's Flying Ants Day

Between 6.30pm and 7.30pm they emerged en masse from beneath the paving stones in my back yard in Old Trafford last night. First evening in ages comfortable enough to sit outside and read the paper and the little bastards ruined it.

Comment

It's Flying Ants Day

We had a second flying ant day on Friday.
                  Never seen that before.

Comment

It's Flying Ants Day

Flying Ant Day in Alloa. Apparently it's the first day's sunshine for months...

Comment

It's Flying Ants Day

Happy Flying Ants Day 2016 to all.

Comment

It's Flying Ants Day

I'm guessing Chewsder round here.

Comment

It's Flying Ants Day

We had a half-hearted attempt yesterday. Only say about 3 of them, which given the number of ants that live in my back garden, is feeble at best.
                          I fully expect an anty deluge in the next couple of days.

Comment

Sounds like it's Flying Ant Day in SW19...

Comment

Yup, in North Surrey too, but all of the flyers seen to have gone now so I think that it's safe to re-open the windows and doors.

Comment

Blimey, it was 13C in Washington today, no hint of ants in the NE.

Comment

Yep, plenty down on the coast in Sussex too

Comment

Originally posted by SouthdownRebel View Post
                                    Yep, plenty down on the coast in Sussex too
                                    Indeed. One just landed in my pint in Brighton.

Comment

Most inconsiderate.

Comment

None yet in Dublin. Now there's a filthy tea drinker in the flat again, there's always effin sugar lying around the worktops, open kitchen window could create ant ground zero. Then murder will out.

Comment

Well it's 11 degrees here so not much risk. In fact, for those who believe Australia is jam packed with hostile fauna, I'm not sure there are any flying ants at all.

Maybe the spiders ate them all.

Comment

The seagulls were going mad for them this evening. They love the little buggers.

Comment

Quality avatar, sir

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
                                                The seagulls were going mad for them this evening. They love the little buggers.
                                                Jo Konta comes from Eastbourne. Jo Konta confessed on the BBC to having ingested some of the flying ants. Conclusion - Jo Konta is a secret seagull.

Comment

No such bird as the seagull...

I don't think flying ant day is a thing up north. Not seen one for years. Typical northern attitude, that. Get on with their ant job without fanfare while the southern lot demand a special day for just being a fucking ant.

Comment

And no such beast as a Pedantosaurus either.

I've genuinely never heard of Flying Ant Day before, either. Not even the OTF thread had made an impression. I've certainly never seen swarms of them around my neck of the woods. Which is in the south of England.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X