Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2017 baseball thread

Jeffrey Loria is a perfect ambassador for Trumpistan

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18658184/what-does-jeffrey-loria-get-mishandling-miami-marlins-pure-profit

2017 baseball thread

Tigers and Red Wings owner Mike Illitch has passed on.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18661440/mike-ilitch-owner-detroit-tigers-red-wings-dies-age-87

Comment

2017 baseball thread

YAY beisbol.

Can't wait for the WBC. USA have Andrew whatsisname from Cleveland. So, that's his arm fucked for the year.

Comment

2017 baseball thread

And whilst Great Britain lost in the qualifiers, I will be supporting Taiwan in the tournament, for obvious reasons, but also it will be good to see Chien-Ming Wang pitch again.

Can't see anyone stopping the Dominican juggernaut. Their squad is loaded with both hitting and pitching.

Comment

2017 baseball thread

I was going to support Canada, but then Joey Votto dropped out.

Comment

2017 baseball thread

One little rule change for this year: The 4 ball walk has been scrapped in an effort to speed up the game. Now it will just be a signal from the bench, and the batter takes the base without any pitches being thrown.

This sucks for Gary Sanchez.

Comment

2017 baseball thread

My friend brought me a Mets sun hat back from New York last week. Very pleased, as their stuff isn't that easy to come by in the UK.

The Daniel Murphy Ayo figure is more of a mixed blessing.

Comment

2017 baseball thread

They were also going to raise the bottom of the strike zone - a move I support - but I guess the union said no to that.

They need to also speed up the game by dramatically cutting back the number of pitches relief pitchers get unless they're coming in for an injury. I'd also cut down the time between half-innings, but that would mean cutting ads and that's how TV and radio makes money and where so much of the teams' money comes from.

Comment

2017 baseball thread

Personally, and this goes against everything Americans believe in, I think the result should stand after 9 innings, except in the playoffs.

*Although this wouldn't really affect the average time of a game.

Comment

2017 baseball thread

There's no need for that. Extra innings aren't really a problem.

Comment

2017 baseball thread

Just noticed that the Opening Day has 3 games. Isn't that a bit weird? Especially since the Cubs play third (Yankees at Rays first).

Comment

2017 baseball thread

So I'm off to Florida with the family in May. It's their first time but my sixth visit (please don't judge me it's a relative thing) so after all the theme park madness I want to do a baseball game. I've never had the chance before mainly because it's been out of season.

Looking at the schedules I may have difficulty persuading them to catch the Rays as they play on our first couple of days of holiday, otherwise it'd have to be Miami and apart from the opprobrium they receive on here I'm not sure I fancy the trip from Orlando and back

However my relatives are in Daytona and Jacksonville and after a bit of research I find both have clubs at slightly different levels and the fixtures they are much more condusive to fitting in around our plans. I like the sound of the Daytona Tortugas and I've passed the ballpark a few times and it looks like a reasonable place to spend a few hours which I can't say about the rest of the town. Jacksonville are a Double-A team which I'm guessing is second tier after the majors so I presume a much better standard.

The big question - should I take the Family Greenlander to one of these. Any recommendations or hints most welcome.

Comment

2017 baseball thread

Orlando to Daytona isn't bad at all. Daytona is a really interesting spot - it has this wonderfully trashy seaside vibe.

Comment

2017 baseball thread

Greenlander wrote: Looking at the schedules I may have difficulty persuading them to catch the Rays as they play on our first couple of days of holiday
                            Bah. They'll love it. We have tickets to Jays vs Rays next Sunday in Port Charlotte. First day of our vacation, but the timing couldn't be helped.

Comment

2017 baseball thread

Go to Daytona.

The Jays in the Tropicana Dome are one of the worst in person experiences in baseball, and definitely the worst in the major leagues.

The Tortugas' ballpark is on the water, and there will be some kind of giveaway and lots to distract the kids. Daytona is Class A, Jacksonville is Class AA. MLB teams will put their best prospects in AA (even though the highest level is AAA), but the quality of play in Daytona's league isn't bad at all (several players will go to AA or higher during the course of the season).

Jacksonville isn't bad either, though I personally find their new "Jumbo Shrimp" identity cloying (they were the Suns for decades).

The Florida State League (in which the Tortugas play) also has teams in Merritt Island (Florida Fire Frogs), Lakeland (Flying Tigers), Tampa (Yankees), Clearwater (Threshers) and Dunedin (Blue Jays), all of which are closer to Orlando than Jacksonville.

Comment

2017 baseball thread

The Florida State League (in which the Tortugas play) also has teams in Merritt Island (Florida Fire Frogs), Lakeland (Flying Tigers), Tampa (Yankees), Clearwater (Threshers) and Dunedin (Blue Jays), all of which are closer to Orlando than Jacksonville.
                                Also Bradenton (Marauders) and Dunedin (Blue Jays). Close to St Pete.

They all play in the same stadiums as their respective affiliate's spring training games which draw big crowds of tourists from their home cities looking to see their team and enjoy Florida while its still cold up north. So the stadiums are relatively large but, maybe because of the heat/rain and size of the native population in the summer, the FSL generally gets small crowds. That might be bad for the atmosphere. I'm not sure. I've not been.

Jacksonville, previously called the Suns but now called the Jumbo Shrimp, are in the Southern League and get about 4,000 a game in a stadium for 11,000. So that's not so bad.

Comment

2017 baseball thread

WOM wrote:
                                  Originally posted by Greenlander
                                  Looking at the schedules I may have difficulty persuading them to catch the Rays as they play on our first couple of days of holiday
                                  Bah. They'll love it. We have tickets to Jays vs Rays next Sunday in Port Charlotte. First day of our vacation, but the timing couldn't be helped.
                                  Stop by on your way home if you're driving.

Comment

2017 baseball thread

Nah, it's just a March-break jaunt, so we're flying out of Dee-troy-it.

Comment

2017 baseball thread

MLB rule change might screw over the Padres' Carter Capps.

Comment

2017 baseball thread

Good

There's no way that delivery should be legal

Comment

2017 baseball thread

Meanwhile, repeatedly stepping out of the batter's box and interminably fucking around with your equipment goes unchecked. Seriously...pitch clock.

Comment

2017 baseball thread

It's like the pitching version of LeBron James' "crab dribble".

Comment

2017 baseball thread

WOM wrote: Meanwhile, repeatedly stepping out of the batter's box and interminably fucking around with your equipment goes unchecked. Seriously...pitch clock.
                                              I blame Nomar Garciaparra.

Comment

2017 baseball thread

It's nuts. Step in. Three, four lame 'practice' swings...step back out...adjust both gloves...pitcher steps down....back in...all over again. 8 second clock...done and done. Violation costs the batter a strike or the pitcher a ball.

Comment

2017 baseball thread

My son is starting T-ball this year through the city's little league. We did uniform pickup this past weekend, found out that his team is the Athletics. The league must have some licensing agreement with MLB, they use all real team names and logos. The uniforms are white pants and t-shirt jerseys that I guess would be the real teams' alternate uniforms--colored shirt with the chest logo. So for the A's, green t-shirt with the yellow script.

I'm glad that his team isn't the Yankees or the Red Sox. I found it interesting that they didn't have a Dodgers or Angels team, I don't know if they don't do local teams at all. I was really excited to see that there is an Expos team, with the classic tri-color cap.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X