Rockinnreelininaucklandnewzealand - Rugby 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, the Lions will visit Eden Park three times on the tour given Christchurch's unavailability so the title seemed apt.

Tuliagi won't be there though and while that's sad for the player I think it benefits the tourists and England as there are far better options out there.

More of a worry for the Lions (and Wales especially) is that Faletau injury problems have reoccurred.

Liam Williams will join Saracens in the summer leading to speculation that Llanelli Scarlets will challenge Cardiff Blues to take Halfpenny if the WRU can agree a central deal with him.

The weekend saw predictable chaos and confusion from the new year, mid-season introduction of the new stricter rules on high tackle/head injury-risk challenges.

Comment

Howley will announce his Six Nations squad after this weekend's round of European matches, I expect he'll continue to ignore Thomas Young and Owen Williams and continue with players such as Cuthbert and Anscombe.

Comment

Big but not unsurprising news is that Sam Warburton is relinquishing the Wales captaincy to concentrate on his own game. He's playing in a struggling Blues team and his rival for the 7 shirt is having another fantastic season.

AWJ is almost certain to take over as captain and perhaps seal the Lions captaincy race as well.

Comment

https://grabyo.com/g/v/HNn2BFwlgzp

Round five of the European games and all the talk from the Scarlets Saracens match has now moved to James Davies and his reaction to the slap from Will Skelton.

Comment

It shouldn't because, however embarrassing Cubby's reaction was, it was a great game even if the end was a sickener.

You know how we're all discussing what a "great footballer" Tipuric is...

Comment

Wales announce their 6N squad. As expected, AWJ replaces Warburton as captain. Owen Williams and Thomas Young are picked after impressing for English clubs. Fellow uncapped call ups are Hewitt, Cracknell, Thornton, Steffan Evans and Alex Davies.

Cuthbert's continued presence can perhaps he explained by Keelan Giles' injury at the weekend.

Wales 2017 Six Nations squad

Forwards: Scott Andrews (Cardiff Blues), Nicky Smith (Ospreys), Rob Evans (Scarlets), Rhodri Jones (Ospreys), Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Kristian Dacey (Cardiff Blues), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Scott Baldwin (Ospreys), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Rory Thornton (Ospreys), Luke Charteris (Bath Rugby), Cory Hill (Newport Gwent Dragons), James King (Ospreys), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Olly Cracknell (Ospreys), Ross Moriarty (Gloucester Rugby), Taulupe Faletau (Bath Rugby), Sam Warburton (Cardiff Blues), Thomas Young (Wasps).

Backs: Gareth Davies (Scarlets), Rhys Webb (Ospreys), Aled Davies (Scarlets), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Sam Davies (Ospreys), Owen Williams (Leicester Tigers), Jamie Roberts (Harlequins), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Ashton Hewitt (Newport Gwent Dragons), Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), Steffan Evans (Scarlets), George North (Northampton Saints), Liam Williams (Scarlets) Leigh Halfpenny (Toulon).

Comment

On the surface a huge coup for Wales who have recruited Ben Ryan as a performance consultant. No details of the contract length or his detailed role but it's a positive step forward.

Comment

Two very heavy defeats for England teams today.

Clermont were 34-0 up at half time to Exeter who did salvage some pride in the second half.

The big story is at Welford Road where after an hour it's Leicester 0 Glasgow 43.

Comment

Nadolo goes the full Lomu. He is one of my favourite players in world rugby right now.

Is it just me or has the "Heineken" Cup really failed to come alight in recent seasons? It just seems very repetitive and dull at the moment. It can't just be the lack of Welsh teams progressing that makes it seem dull for me as we've been rubbish in it for ages.

Comment

I sort of know what you mean Harry but this season has been much better with the PRO 12 sides making an impact.

Clermont vs Toulon is the only confirmed tie, if Connacht beat Toulouse in Toulouse tomorrow there will be four PRO 12 sides in the quarters. Last season there were none.

Surely the time has come to end the automatic place given to Italy.

Nandolo is immense, watching him yesterday was frightening.

Comment

The recent domination of the French and English sides has definitely been bad for entertainment value, with the semis tending to be particularly dire.

One hopes that a more diverse set of quarter finalists will help.

Comment

In the Challenge Cup a piece of European rugby history was made as the Ospreys became the first side to score maximum points from the pool games, they got six bonus point wins to finish on 30 points. No team has ever done this before in either the champions or challenge cup.

Sadly the winner of the Challenge Cup doesn't get the automatic place in the Champions Cup.

Comment

22 minutes gone and Zebre deservedly lead Wasps 10-3, how long before Wasps take the lead?

Comment

14 minutes

Comment

Connacht are 14-3 down at Toulouse at half time and could easily go from top of their group to out of their quarters.

Comment

Clermont v Toulon
                                  Munster v Toulouse
                                  Leinster v Wasps
                                  Saracens v Glasgow

Comment

London Welsh expelled from English Championship, effectively ending the professional club.

I presume they'll now have to focus long term on getting the amateur side up from their current level of the ninth tier, a la Richmond and London Scottish.

Comment

Wales and Ireland have both announced two injuries, Faletau and Charteris for Wales, Sexton and O'Mahony for Ireland. All are out of round one.

Kruis is apparently a doubt for England, they could end up with a pack with Marler, Hartley and Haskell having not played in weeks.

Are you going to any of the matches Harry or are you planning on avoiding the Millennium Stadium still?

Comment

Have they formally announced Faletau is out? Not that anybody thinks he'll play anyway.

I'm at the match against Italy this weekend (myself and the two mates I normally do trips with are taking our wives to Rome to celebrate completing the set of 6N venues) and definitely doing the England game, probably Scotland away and possibly Ireland at home too.

It could feel like a long tournament.

Comment

That sounds grand.

Have you been to the Olimpico before? I'm sure that Ms. de Galles will find the Fascist monuments interesting.

I understand why they moved, but the Flaminio was a better ground for rugby, as it has no running track, and the walk/march to the ground through the Piazza del Popolo was always a highlight (the piazza also provided a natural setting for celebrations on the few occasions when Italy won).

Comment

Announced yesterday, he's not ready. They've also said that an uncapped back rower will be on the bench, so that's either Thomas Young or Ollie Cracknell making the back row is Warburton, Tipuric and Moriarty.

Enjoy your trip to Rome, the others may not be quite as enjoyable.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: That sounds grand.

Have you been to the Olimpico before? I'm sure that Ms. de Galles will find the Fascist monuments interesting.

I understand why they moved, but the Flaminio was a better ground for rugby, as it has no running track, and the walk/march to the ground through the Piazza del Popolo was always a highlight (the piazza also provided a natural setting for celebrations on the few occasions when Italy won).
                                              Never been to the Olimpico before and my two previous visits to Rome have been the most flying of work trips so looking forward to having a wander about over the weekend. I'll check out the monuments, I'm a sucker for totalitarian architecture.

My Mum and Dad did the games at the Flaminio a couple of times and made similar comments to you about the walk to the ground, a pity I didn't get there sooner.

Comment

Antepli Ejderha wrote: Announced yesterday, he's not ready. They've also said that an uncapped back rower will be on the bench, so that's either Thomas Young or Ollie Cracknell making the back row is Warburton, Tipuric and Moriarty.

Enjoy your trip to Rome, the others may not be quite as enjoyable.
                                                Thanks, sure we will.

It'll be Young on the bench, surely? His kind of game I'd imagine. Faletau hasn't been formally ruled out yet, as far as I can see.

Are we all presuming his dad is the next Welsh coach btw, or do we think we'd struggle to get him away from Coventry Wanderers?

Comment

Totalitarian architecture?

You need to take the Metro out to EUR

Comment

Working...
                                                  X