Copa Sudamericana 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copa Sudamericana 2017

This begins on Tuesday with the preliminary round first legs. Those will be played over the course of a week or so, with the second legs coming in... early-to-mid May, and in a couple of cases on the 1st of June.

No, me neither.

Copa Sudamericana 2017

Me neither.
    At least they've changed the format where Brazilian and Argentinian teams have a round knocking themselves out before facing foreign opponents.

I shall rejoin you round about the quarter finals.

Comment

Copa Sudamericana 2017

A bunch of results I'll stick up in half an hour or so when my girlfriend's asleep, but very quickly... Arsenal de Sarandí, who've scored six goals in seven or eight league matches since the turn of the year and are bottom of Argentina's thirty-team top flight, thrashed Juan Aurich of Peru 6-1 earlier to book their place in the second round.

And as if that weren't enough, Defensa y Justicia have just put São Paulo out on away goals! 1-1 in Brazil after a goalless draw in the first leg!

Comment

Copa Sudamericana 2017

Here we go then. Results so far: team listed first had the second leg at home, scores are listed in the same order as the teams (so the first leg score is given 'American style' away @ home). For clarity in case that's confusing, the team in bold are the team going through.

Sport Huancayo (PER) v Nacional Potosí (BOL) (1-3; 2-1)
        Sportivo Luqueño (PAR) v Deportivo Cali (COL) (0-1; 2-1)
        Caracas (VEN) v Cerro Porteño (PAR) (1-1; 1-2)
        Universidad de Chile (er, CHI) v Corinthans (BRA) (0-2; 1-2)
        Gimnasia y Esgrima La Plata (ARG) v Ponte Preta (BRA) (0-0; 1-1)
        Arsenal Fútbol Club (ARG) v Juan Aurich (PER) (2-0; 6-1)
        Atlético Venezuela (VEN) v Palestino (CHI) (1-0; 0-1: Palestino win 7-6 on kicks from the penalty spot)
        Danubio (URU) v Sport Recife (BRA) (0-3; 3-0: Sport win 4-2 on kicks from the penalty spot)
        Nacional (PAR) v Cruzeiro (BRA) (1-2; 2-1: Nacional win 3-2 on kicks from the penalty spot)
        São Paulo (BRA) v Defensa y Justicia (ARG) (0-0; 1-1)
        Liverpool (URU) v Fluminense (BRA) (0-2; 1-0)

Still to play, at the end of this month or the start of next month (first leg scores in brackets)
        Universidad Católica (ECU) v Petrolero (BOL) (3-1)
        Defensor Sporting (URU) v Liga Deportiva Universitaria de Quito (ECU) (2-2)
        Patriotas (COL) v Everton (CHI) (0-1)
        Sol de América (PAR) v Estudiantes SC (VEN) (3-2)
        Huracán (ARG) v Anzoátegui (VEN) (0-3)
        Deportivo Cuenca (ECU) v Oriente Petrolero (BOL) (1-1)
        Alianza Lima (PER) v Independiente (ARG) (0-0)
        Comerciantes Unidos (PER) v Boston River (URU) (1-3)
        Fuerza Amarilla (ECU) v O'Higgins (CHI) (0-1)
        Bolívar (BOL) v Tolima (COL) (1-2)
        Rionegro (COL) v Racing (ARG) (0-1)

Good grief, there are a lot of clubs in this competition I've never heard of - had to search for plenty of those. My favourite club name is Fuerza Amarilla ('Yellow Power' or 'Yellow Force') of Ecuador, whose nickname is la banana mecánica - 'the clockwork banana'. Also note there are two clubs called Petrolero, both from Bolivia: plain old Petrolero, who I'd never heard of, and the better-known (to me) Oriente Petrolero.

I didn't see any of it, but I'm still trying to get my head around the fact that a team managed to concede six goals against Arsenal de Sarandí. Arsenal are absolutely dreadful - so much so that there's a very good chance they'll be in Argentina's second division by the time the second stage of this competition rolls around.

Comment

Copa Sudamericana 2017

I know I said I'd only pay attention to this from the quarter finals onwards but I caught some highlights this morning and I was also intrigued by some of the teams. I'd never heard of the splendidly named Defensa y Justicia but they embarrassed São Paulo who have given Rogério Ceni the dreaded vote of confidence just two days before the start of the Brasileirão.

Another utterly pathetic Brazilian performance was by Sport who let a 3-0 first leg lead slip against Danúbio but were rescued by veteran keeper Magrão in the penalty shoot-out.

Comment

Copa Sudamericana 2017

Missed your post two weeks ago, cantagalo - I've found myself paying more attention to these early stages than normal as well, partly because of the surrealness of seeing DyJ in a continental competition (they hold the record for most seasons spent in Argentina's second tier), and partly because having the first round while the season is very much on really makes it feel like a bit more of an event.

Defensa y Justicia were set up by a local bus company in Florencio Varela, rather excellently.

Anyway, I pass this way to add to the thread that the Copa Libertadores group stage is now over, which means we know the identities of the eight third-placed teams who will be joining the Sudamericana at the next stage. I think this change will add a lot more interest in South America (where a lack of countries means participants end up coming from much further down the leagues in the secondary continental cup, making it seem like a real barrel-scraping exercise quality-wise in some cases; Cf. that Arsenal v Juan Aurich scoreline) than it does in Europe.

Anyway, those eight teams are:
            Estudiantes de La Plata (ARG)
            Independiente Santa Fe (COL)
            Deportivo Independiente Medellín (COL)
            Flamengo (BRA)
            Atlético Tucumán (ARG)
            Libertad (PAR)
            Chapecoense (BRA)
            Deportes Iquique (CHI)

Racing, Cerro Porteño, Corinthians and Nacional in particular will probably have something to say, as might Independiente (who were pretty bad in their first leg against Alianza Lima but have really played themselves into form since then), but I reckon the eventual winners will come from this group of eight.

Comment

Now it's time to revisit this thread. The final is set after some interesting 1/2 final second legs. Indpendiente has looked really good in the knockout rounds. Flamengo has been involved with some exciting matches since dropping from the Libertadores. The Junior-Flamengo match seemed to mirror the Lanus-Gremio final in many ways.

I'm hoping both teams continue with the attacking approaches.

Comment

Don’t know if you’re aware of the backstory behind Flamengo’s win at Júnior Barranquilla. Flamengo had a big goalkeeping crisis with Diego Alves having broken his shoulder. His replacement was to be Alex Muralha, despite having been called up to the Brazil squad last year has had the most wretched of seasons and has been the target of abuse and ridicule by Flamengo fans. He cam in for last Sunday’s game against Santos and again made two awful mistakes. He looked a broken fan and was in no fit psychological state to play on Thursday so Rueda gambled on third choice keeper César who hadn’t played a senior game for two years. And, as you know, he saved the penalty and will surely play in the final.

Flamengo are still missing the suspended Guerrero and are having to rely on two youngsters, Lucas Paquetá and Felipe Vizeu up front alongside the more experienced Everton Ribeiro. I have been less than impressed with Flamengo this season (along with their fans) so I wouldn’t be that confident about their chances in the final. If they do win though, it will mean no fewer than 9 Brazilian teams in next year’s Libertadores!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                  Missed your post two weeks ago, cantagalo - I've found myself paying more attention to these early stages than normal as well, partly because of the surrealness of seeing DyJ in a continental competition (they hold the record for most seasons spent in Argentina's second tier), and partly because having the first round while the season is very much on really makes it feel like a bit more of an event.

Defensa y Justicia were set up by a local bus company in Florencio Varela, rather excellently.

Anyway, I pass this way to add to the thread that the Copa Libertadores group stage is now over, which means we know the identities of the eight third-placed teams who will be joining the Sudamericana at the next stage. I think this change will add a lot more interest in South America (where a lack of countries means participants end up coming from much further down the leagues in the secondary continental cup, making it seem like a real barrel-scraping exercise quality-wise in some cases; Cf. that Arsenal v Juan Aurich scoreline) than it does in Europe.

Anyway, those eight teams are:
                  Estudiantes de La Plata (ARG)
                  Independiente Santa Fe (COL)
                  Deportivo Independiente Medellín (COL)
                  Flamengo (BRA)
                  Atlético Tucumán (ARG)
                  Libertad (PAR)
                  Chapecoense (BRA)
                  Deportes Iquique (CHI)

Racing, Cerro Porteño, Corinthians and Nacional in particular will probably have something to say, as might Independiente (who were pretty bad in their first leg against Alianza Lima but have really played themselves into form since then), but I reckon the eventual winners will come from this group of eight.
                  It's not over yet, of course, but given how unpredictable South American football is I'm going to give myself a pat on the back for this post, given that the final's going to be Independiente against Flamengo, with Independiente's defeated semi-final opponents Libertad having put Racing out in the quarters. Admittedly I wasn't sticking my neck out very far, though.

If I remember rightly, the first leg is in Avellaneda and the second in Rio - this Wednesday and next.

Comment

Anyone watching?

First thought is that the atmosphere is a lot more intense that at Lanús last week.

Comment

Rever with a towering header! Independiente 0 Flamengo 1. Unfortunately for Flamengo there’s no away goals rule in the final.

Comment

Very open match with lots of chances

Comment

1-1. Deserved equaliser. That’s really got the crowd going.

Comment

HT 1-1. Good game.

Comment

There’s a camera following the Flamengo players to their dressing room. It’s about a 3 minute walk!

Comment

Flamengo players have had to set out early for the second half. They’ll be knackered by the time they reach the pitch.

Comment

Superb goal by Meza. 2-1.

Comment

Diego almost emulates Meza with a similar move but his shot is blocked. Independente go straight down the other end and come close.

Comment

Impressed with the way Flamengo are continuing to attack. This is the best I’ve seen them play all season.

Comment

Could be interesting. Vinícius Jr coming on.

Comment

Finishes 2-1. Excellent game. Next week’s second leg should be well worth watching.

Comment

Yep, cracking stuff from both sides. I'd say Independiente just about deserve their lead, but might regret not having been able to extend it. Is Paolo Guerrero going to be back for the second leg, cantagalo? Bit odd how FIFA extended his ban by ten days at such short notice, which is why he missed this leg ...

Comment

It’s looking unlikely. The Brazilian press don’t sound optimistic. As you said, FIFA have extended the provisional 30 day suspension by 10 days (the President of the Peruvian Federation is saying it could be another 20 days), arguing that they need more time to analyse evidence provided by his defence. It all seems very arbitrary.

As well as Felipe Vizeu did last night, it’s undeniable that Guerrero would be a much greater goal threat at the Maracanã, providing he’s still match fit after more than a month out.
                                              Last edited by cantagalo; 07-12-2017, 09:28.

Comment

Should have mentioned earlier that I thought Independiente looked a very good team, particularly the 18 year old Barco. He compared very favourably with Vinicius Jr!

Comment

This was an exciting match. Both sides have tried to push forward in the knockout rounds (I didn't see any of Indepdendiente's earlier games and Flamengo were a jekyll and hyde side in the Libertadores group stage with a good approach at home and poor results on the road). I tend to agree with Sam that overall Independiente looked a touch better (possession stats were slightly in their favor as well) but they did seem to sit back after that second goal. I wonder if they had maintained the pressure in Flamengo's end (perhaps the parallel of forechecking in hockey terms) they could have added another goal. The second leg should be quite exciting.

@cantagalo: I don't know if you are in England or Rio now but do you know if the return leg will air in England? I will still be in Bolton that night so who knows if there will be a bar where I could watch or if the hotel TV will have the right channel but I figured you might know if it's on TV there.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X