3. Ashley Cole
    4. Steven Gerrard
    5. Rio Ferdinand
    6. John Terry
    7. Aaron Lennon
    8. Frank Lampard
    9. Peter Crouch
    10. Wayne Rooney

didn't see who got number 11, think it was Joe Cole.

The FA have apparently said the squad numbers mean little, they simply correspond to what room numbers the players have in their hotel in Rustenburg. Seems a little unlikely that the apparent first team just got the first 11 rooms at random, and in that order, though.

England's squad numbers

The squad numbers have been revealed in a series of ads by Umbro where a player's number has been painted on a wall in their place of birth with no name but the slogan 'Tailored by (town name here)'

It is, frankly, ace.

Joe Cole is indeed number 11. Warnock wears 13 which leaves me uneasy.

Comment

England's squad numbers

Why?

Comment

England's squad numbers

Why does Warnock's 13 leave me uneasy or why is the Umbro campaign ace?

If you're questioning the former I refer you to 'Squad numbers I feel comfortable with'.

I put the England squad in to PES 10 on Tuesday night and had a guess at the squad numbers and got 13 out of 23 right, not a bad result.

Comment

England's squad numbers

The ad does sound great. But does make me a little sad that Owen Hargreaves isn't in the squad.

Comment

England's squad numbers

I know there's all sorts of good administrative reasons why squad numbers are set and used throughout the tournament, but it does seem a shame that teams don't go out onto the pitch numbered 1-11 game by game, ideally with shirt numbers corresponding to "traditional" positions on the pitch. In that respect here,for example, surely Rio should be number 4 and Gerrard number 5, but maybe that's just because in my mind that's the way Liverpool used to do it (Lawrenson and Hansen were 4 and 6 respectively while Ronnie Whelan was number 5).

Wasn't it Argentina in 1982 who started with doing away with "traditional" shirt numbers, when they had them assigned alphabetically so Ossie Ardiles improbably had number 1 on his back?

Comment

England's squad numbers

"The ad does sound great. But does make me a little sad that Owen Hargreaves isn't in the squad."

Or someone like Rob Jones.

The ad did set me wondering how rare (or not) a completely English born squad was and how many other WC squads will be solely composed of players born in that nation.

Comment

England's squad numbers

I think you can discount Germany's.

Comment

England's squad numbers

Rogins Drift wrote:
                  I know there's all sorts of good administrative reasons why squad numbers are set and used throughout the tournament, but it does seem a shame that teams don't go out onto the pitch numbered 1-11 game by game, ideally with shirt numbers corresponding to "traditional" positions on the pitch..
                  Fuck off, grandad.

Comment

England's squad numbers

Maybe squad numbers could be set by how many of their WAGS John Terry's tried to chat up.

Comment

England's squad numbers

It's made the news in Portugal that Rooney has been given the number 10 shirt.

http://www.abola.pt/nnh/ver.aspx?id=208378

It just doesn't have the same mystique in England, the No.10. I'll be honest, I never knew how important it was until I moved away from England, the No.7 shirt always being the biggun in the UK.

Comment

England's squad numbers

Bollocks, the 9 shirt is the symbolic one in the UK. Roy Race, innit.

Comment

England's squad numbers

But 7 was the number most associated with the creative player in English teams, innit? The equivalent of the continental #10.

Comment

England's squad numbers

Certainly at English club football level.

George Best, Bryan Robson, Eric Cantona.

Kevin Keegan, Kenny Dalglish, er, Steve McManaman.

John Barnes was probably the first Liverpool player revered as a continental-style number 10 playmaker (with all due respect to Terry McDermott).

Comment

England's squad numbers

But we still all love a big centre forward over any nancy boy flash Harry on the wing. Twinkletoes' sole job is to provide an endless supply of balls into the mixer for our mighty thighed heros to thrust their foreheads at.

Comment

England's squad numbers

Wasn't it Argentina in 1982 who started with doing away with "traditional" shirt numbers, when they had them assigned alphabetically so Ossie Ardiles improbably had number 1 on his back?
                                It was. Ardiles had the number 2 shirt in 1978 and the number 1 shirt in 1982. This carried on to 1990 where they had an unusual hybrid due to new FIFA rules and pandering to certain egos. So Pumpido started against Cameroon in the number 1 jersey, Burruchaga had 7 and Maradona had 10. The rest were a bit of a bix, part alphabetic, part not.

In Argentina the number 10 is of course a massively important number like many European countries, the number 5 is also a very significant and honorable shirt for an Argentine to wear. The role is usually the defensive midfielder, a Mascherano type of player who screens the defence and sometimes is a more creative playmaker too.

Almeyda, Redondo, Cambiasso are past holders of this shirt.

Comment

England's squad numbers

But we still all love a big centre forward over any nancy boy flash Harry on the wing. Twinkletoes' sole job is to provide an endless supply of balls into the mixer for our mighty thighed heros to thrust their foreheads at.
                                  Stereotypical crap, these days especially. The creative players are much more likely to be the fans' favourites than a big lummox of a centre forward.

Comment

England's squad numbers

The classic English number 9 seems to have died out with Shearer.
                                    Certainly while Crouch and Heskey have something of the physique you expect from a big centre forward, neither has the personality nor the aggression to come anywhere near doing it justice.

When you think about it the demands of what constituted a good number 9 were quite onerous. You had to be big, aggressive, strong in the air, somewhere near competent on the ground, hard working, a bit dirty and someone who would always be a handful for opposition defences even if the ball was somewhere else.

I suppose Rooney has developed into someone who could pass for this role but that's not his forte to be honest. It's ironic that in Torres and especially Drogba you have a couple of foreign players who have mastered this most English of roles better than any English player aside from the aforementioned Shearer in the modern era.

Comment

England's squad numbers

Nocturnal Submission wrote:
                                      The creative players are much more likely to be the fans' favourites than a big lummox of a centre forward.
                                      Rooney, Torres and (to a lesser extent) Drogba are still huge "fans' favourites" and the most central forward though.

I think you underestimate the popularity that still surrounds the team's main goalscorers.

Comment

England's squad numbers

Main goalscorers certainly but Eggy was referring specifically to some sort of Tommy Lawton figure, "thrusting his forehead" at high balls into the box, which isn't held in particularly high regard these days, I'd say.

From my own club, I'd say that the Cooke had as many admirers as Ossie, Nevin as Dixon and Zola a lot more than Vialli, JFH or Gudjohnsen.

Comment

England's squad numbers

From the picture of SWP arriving at Johannesburg you wonder if he had to have the pillow to sit on to raise him up high enough to be able to use the seat belt safely...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football

Comment

England's squad numbers

Harrie van Timmerman wrote:
                                            "The ad does sound great. But does make me a little sad that Owen Hargreaves isn't in the squad."

Or someone like Rob Jones.

The ad did set me wondering how rare (or not) a completely English born squad was and how many other WC squads will be solely composed of players born in that nation.
                                            Well from Italia '90 England's Brave Terry Butcher was born in Singapore and, of course, John Barnes birthplace was Kingston, Jamaica.

Comment

England's squad numbers

Wiki has a list of foreign born English players (which is a hell of a lot shorter than it's cricket equivalent would be!).

Tony Dorigo in 1990 is one. Le Saux from Jersy, if you count that. None of the others immediately strike me as having been in WC squads other than those already mentioned.

Comment

England's squad numbers

Owen Hargreaves was born in Bolton wasn't he?

Edit: Well, according to my dad; not according to Wikipedia.

Comment

England's squad numbers

I think his father was.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X