Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forgotten Britpop Bands

Anyone else remember Thurman?

They were good enough to break through, if a bit poppy, but never really did. Don't even have a Wikipedia page now.

Weren't they originally a metal band, then ditched their lead singer when they sniffed a bit of Britpop cash-in coin?

Comment

There was a band called Thrum around that time. Any relation?

Comment

I remember both, and no, there was no connection as far as I was aware. Thrum were pretty good when I saw them open for somebody-or-other back in 1995. Thurman were indeed heavier, methinks.

Failed Britpop-or-contemporary bands that may or may not ring a bell (alphabetical order only):

Flavour
        Jack
        Laxton's Superb
        Livingstone
        Minibar
        Molly Halfhead
        Moreau's Island
        Rivelino
        Robinson
        Root
        Smaller*
        Supermodel
        World Of Leather

Then again, I could just make up a load, for the difference it might make. (*Pretty sure that Smaller were the band fronted by Pete 'Digsy' Deary, out of Digsy's Dinner by Oasis.)
        Last edited by Jah Womble; 02-11-2018, 17:36. Reason: Alphabetical f***-up

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
          There was a band called Thrum around that time. Any relation?
          Thrum were good. Monica Queen had a terrific voice (see also Belle & Sebastian's Lazy Line Painter Jane).

Comment

Steadman

Comment

We've got a Thrum picture disc somewhere that Mrs Thistle bought back in uni days.

I'd not heard that about Thurman being originally metal.

Comment

Shed 7. Or were they a bit too well known for this thread?

There used to be a shop in Port Douglas, our favourite resort in the Queensland tropics called Shed 7.

Comment

I quite liked Tiger who had a run of three pretty decent singles (Race being the big one) and not much else.

I have a feeling it was around 1996 so were certainly on the arse end of Britpop.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                    I'd not heard that about Thurman being originally metal.
                    I think they were originally named 4 Real (sp?) and once supported Black Sabbath.

Comment

John Harris (for it is he) in The Last Party:

a transparently opportunistic trio called Thurman, whose debut single was entitled English Tea. "Oh, what a lavvly day, to drink some English tea," they sang, "and talk about the wevvah/Isn't it lahvly?" Rumours rapidly spread that mere months before, they had been a heavy metal group called To Die For.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                        Shed 7. Or were they a bit too well known for this thread?
                        Shed Seven scored three gold albums and fifteen (count them) Top 40 singles - so, yeah, a bit big for this, I think.

Comment

On "Shine Too" (remember those compilations?) there's a band called Gene who I can't say I recall at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                            Shed Seven scored three gold albums and fifteen (count them) Top 40 singles - so, yeah, a bit big for this, I think.
                            Also, within the last year they’ve played a tour of circa 2000 capacity venues culminating in a show at the 5000 capacity Brixton Academy so, for some unfathomable reason, they’re not forgotten either.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                              John Harris (for it is he) in The Last Party:
                              a transparently opportunistic trio called Thurman, whose debut single was entitled English Tea. "Oh, what a lavvly day, to drink some English tea," they sang, "and talk about the wevvah/Isn't it lahvly?" Rumours rapidly spread that mere months before, they had been a heavy metal group called To Die For.
                              Dunno how I got their metal name so wrong considering I've heard the same story from more than one source... but then, my memory has more holes than a block of Emmenthal.

Having just heard English Tea on YouTube, it is exactly the kind of song you'd expect a bunch of metalheads to record as a piss-take of Britpop.

Comment

So I've scored what used to be called an Epic Fail on Shed Seven then.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
                                  I quite liked Tiger who had a run of three pretty decent singles (Race being the big one) and not much else.

I have a feeling it was around 1996 so were certainly on the arse end of Britpop.
                                  They had mullets, didn't they? On purpose, as a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                    They had mullets, didn't they? On purpose, as a thing.
                                    They did. While the rest of the world were well into their fringes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                      On "Shine Too" (remember those compilations?) there's a band called Gene who I can't say I recall at all.

Gene were great, or at least the first album was.

They were always branded Smiths copyists which I never really got as they were far better. I realise I will be in a tiny minority with that opinion but I really hated The Smith.

Comment

I think everyone has at least one Smith they hate. Mine's the racist one with the flowers, he's a prick.

Comment

With ten Top 40 hits to their name, Gene are also too well-known for this. Agree with RdG that Olympian is definitely one of the better albums of that era.

Comment

I'd like to throw Bennet in here. "Mum's Gone To Iceland" is a distillation of what people who've heard about Britpop, and have taken against it without doing any research, think what Britpop sounds like.

The other week I was bored and put together a Spotify playlist of all the old Shine albums. (Don't judge me.) From that, can I also suggest:

Comfort
                                            Silver Sun
                                            Elcka

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                                              I think everyone has at least one Smith they hate. Mine's the racist one with the flowers, he's a prick.
                                              You said you liked those flowers!

Comment

I can confirm I did, indeed, like the flowers. The flowers were good.

Comment

<Gets out Toby [Heart Emoji] notebook> 'Note: Flowers good. Casual racism bad.'

Comment

Working...
                                                  X