No announcement yet.

Bug reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been meaning to post this for absolutely ages, but kept forgetting. A post by Sporting on the WTF Thread just jogged my memory.

Lots of characters don't get shown for me. Letters and numbers are fine, as are £ signs, but most other stuff – the end dash I used just there, for example, or speech marks, or too many other things to remember – just show up as white boxes. They show up fine when I'm writing the post, but once I click 'Reply', or if I'm reading a post someone else has written, I just see white boxes.

No idea whether it matters, but I'm on up-to-date Windows 10, and using Vivaldi 2.2.1388.37 (which I've just discovered isn't the latest version, but this problem has been happening since the upgrade to v5 of the forum, so I doubt it's to do with my browser being out of date).

Comment

I'm sometimes seeing white boxes in my own posts but not in anyone else's.

Comment

This is a fun one.

It comes down to a combination of the browser, the OS and whatever web proxy your ISP is using. For instance, I can post from my work machine, through the work network and see the messed up characters. Then I pick up my phone and use the mobile network and it displays perfectly.

There is a fix that helps slightly on iOS | Settings | General | Keyboard | turn Smart Punctuation off but that doesn't help for Android devices.

It's completely maddening.

Comment

Yeah. I dream of the day when I'll get 'em' and 'en' dashes back [sigh!]

Comment

Right now, I can see my post above perfectly. Right after I wrote it, the en dashes and quote marks/apostrophes were all whited out. I did upgrade to the latest version of Vivaldi right after making the above post, but at the time that didn't appear to fix it. The only other variable is (presumably) the ISP's proxy. How infuriating.

Comment

Tell me about it...

Comment

Today's Posts not showing the last (real) poster and acting a bit weirdly at times.

Comment

I just added "" in my favourite biscuit, and it seems to have come out as ""

Comment

Oh, that's annoying. It converts it to code on the way in but not on the way out. Maybe renter it, but instead of " put " in instead.

Comment

I'll try that, ta.

Comment

That doesn't seem to have worked well...

Comment

(As of today) On the mobile version, when I click to go to page two of a forum or of the most recent topics page, nothing happens. Works on the laptop, where you get an arrow to click on rather than a number.

Comment

On it. Which forum style are you using?

Comment

Default vB5 (though that's something that has switched without my intervention. i had chosen a style at one point, though i can't remember which one)

Comment

OK, is it still happening. (I've checked it on my iPhone, seems OK.)

Comment

It’s OK for me this evening on my i-Items (was doing what ad hoc describes this morning).

Comment

Seems OK now. Sorry for the late reply my phone was on charge in another room

Comment

I had the same problem yesterday as well. Fine now.

Comment

OK, what I think happened was I was mucking around last night with a bit of Javascript to remove the auto ticked "Retrieve remote file" when uploading an image. Despite have absolutely nothing to do with anything on the page apart from the editor used to add replies, it seemed to have knocked something awry.

Comment

The "Notifications" thingy up top has become "Messages", but still actually shows notifications.

Comment

Hmm

I still have a Notifications Tab to the immediate left of the Messages Tab (in Default vb5 on iOS)

Do you have two Messages tabs?

Comment

Comment

That word "Messages" next to "TonTon", top right, used to say "Notifications".

Comment

I haven't changed anything....

Comment

It lit up earlier, and I thought I had a message, but no, I had a notification.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X