No announcement yet.

Uploading images to your posts from your own computer/mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh and since we seem to be posting photos here, have one of Latrice.

IMG_20220210_213955295.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
      More excellent news. As an addendum to TonTon's very useful question and your reply, for reference roughly how many pixels wide does a forum post appear on a desktop? And will it resize things for mobile users automatically if we set our pictures to look nice at desktop size?
      I think all the forum skins are responsive so the image will resize automatically to fit if need be. There is a priority order, which on a non-mobile or tablet is:

1. Specific size set by uploader
      2. The width of a post (which by eye looks to be about 60-70% of the screen width on the default skin)
      3. Actual image size

However, because the screens on a mobile / tablet are smaller, the priority is

1.The width of a post (which by eye looks to be about 90% of the screen width on my phone)
      2.Specific size set by uploader
      3.Actual image size

Comment

That WSC that ursus arctos posted was the very first one that I bought. Haven't missed one since.

Comment

Splendid, thanks everyone!

Comment

Thanks for this which was helpful to me yesterday when the click-on-the-camera option wouldn't work, as it intermittently won't. However, when I looked back on my 'phone, where I'm not logged in (and I've forgotten my password), I could only see a link which I needed to log in to see. Looking back at this thread, almost all pictures are the same. So you need to be logged in to see pictures loaded this way. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious here (or if it's mentioned upthread and I've missed it) but I thought I'd report it anyway.

Comment

Hmm, good point. I'll look into that.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                Hmm, good point. I'll look into that.
                Did you ever ascertain why some uploaded pictures don't appear if you aren't logged in, Snake? It has happened to me today with a picture that I posted in the 'Garden' thread. It's the first time I've used that method of uploading a picture - previously I've used the camera icon and then either clicked within or dragged an image into the pane that it brings up. That now appears to work only intermittently - it was OK earlier in the week, but not this morning. All very odd.

Comment

I think that was because we were hosting some images elsewhere. There is an update coming which might remove the need for it.

Comment

I think that was because we were hosting some images elsewhere. There is an update coming which might remove the need for it.
                    Looking at the image properties of those pictures that I've previously posted which are visible to all and comparing them to the one this morning that can only be seen if you are logged in, I can see that the 'titles' are formatted differently. The former are all prefixed https://i.imgur.com/O9v4kF4.jpg (which I assume is the image hosting that you refer to), whereas this morning's is merely the .jpg name without the prefix. .

Comment

That's exactly it - because of the restrictions when WSC was hosting, we weren't allowed to upload files to the server. So I used a plugin to get them uploaded to Imgur.

Now we are independent, we can store them on the server. I'd like to move to local storage fully, but I'm not sure what happens to the old Imgur links.

Comment

That's exactly it - because of the restrictions when WSC was hosting, we weren't allowed to upload files to the server. So I used a plugin to get them uploaded to Imgur.

Now we are independent, we can store them on the server. I'd like to move to local storage fully, but I'm not sure what happens to the old Imgur links.
                        Ah, I see. Although I'm puzzled why the picture I posted only two days ago is on the imgur host, but this morning's wasn't. Is there something that I did differently? Sorry if I'm being a nuisance!

Comment

Actually i think i can partially answer that myself. Until today I have used the camera icon to post a picture, but that seems to have become a bit flakey. Sometimes you get the separate pane into which you can either post or drag your image (which works fine), or you get an option to either 'upload' or 'post from an album' which I can't get to work satisfactorily. So this morning i used the image option from the menu bar as you suggested upthread. I assume the former (when it works) links to imgur, but the latter doesn't, and requires users to be logged in to see the image.

Comment

Yes, the camera icon is Imgur, I think the drag and drop is too, the upload is to the server.

Comment

IMG-20220707-WA0016.jpg
                              Attached Files

Comment

I got it to work. That's my mum's dog after his recent trim.

Comment

I've uploaded a photo as per the instructions, it appears perfectly in the preview, then when I click to post, it tells me 'please upload at least one photo'. Very polite message, but annoying all the same.

Comment

Frankfurt 13.1.15.jpg

Comment

though it works on this thread, as seen by this not very exciting view from our balcony.

Comment

In the end I did it by just posting the photo, then adding the text as an edit. Am I doing something wrong?

Comment

I know that there's probably an easy solution, but could anyone explain why when I try and post one of my own camera images it now says that the file size is too big? I've not changed phones or anything, and it wasn't an issue until very recently. The images I've posted recently have been lifted from a mate's Facebook page, and there's no issue with those.

Comment

Comment

Is that visible to you?

Camera icon in the upper left of the reply box, then selected from the Photo Library on this device

"Attach File" hasn't worked for some time.

Comment

I can see yours, but I've just tried that and it still won't work, it says my pictures exceed the PHP file limit of 2.0mb , and this never used to happen *shrug emoji*

Comment

I’ll see if something changed in the recent upgrade.

Comment

What works for me: Click on camera icon. Click in box marked Drag your files here or click in this area. Desktop opens as source folder. Click on photo. Dragging doesn't work.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X