Is The Search Engine Even More Broken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is The Search Engine Even More Broken?

The search engine seems to throw up a lot more 2008-10 threads generally than anything from 2015-2020 in the searches I do recently.

For example, "Semenya" gives me 22 hits but only one is after 2011.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 31-08-2021, 19:20.

I have always understood that to be an indexing issue, with the indexing for threads before the Indonesian intrusion not having been compromised by the hack

Comment

I tried rebuilding the index but it looks to have been a little... quirky. There seems to be an odd thing where I can't just leave the reindex running, it has to be open on the page and my laptop not going onto any other page or into sleep mode for, like, four hours.

Comment

Crikey

Comment

On the back of the drinking in football stands thread I was reminded of a thread I started about being teetotal. But the search engine didn't find it.

Google did:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bein...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Comment

I just found a thread from several years back using the search engine and it worked fine.

Comment

The search seems to stop at about 2013

Comment

It is hot or miss, with the likelihood of the latter appearing to increase as the time since the thread in question decreases

Comment

Well now, ursus arctos , speaking of searching - I still use what I call "the ua hack" as my entry point, but it spoilers Wordle for me. I had a look, but couldn't see an obvious way of changing it to remove that thread. Any thoughts?

Comment

FWIW, I did rebuild the Search index fully and it seems to have helped a fair bit.

Comment

If you open the Advanced Search box used for the "hack", you can toggle on the specific boards you want it to search. Keeping "Games" off should solve the Wordle issue (while also obscuring other posts on that board).

Comment

Working...
                      X