OTF - Technical discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OTF - Technical discussion

For techie stuff. Mainly for reference and maybe to discuss potential options.

Current stats

Database is over 5Gb in size. It holds 1.8 million posts.

vBulletin is 90Mb of web space.

We have 1,827 members of which 219 are active (which I think means logged in in the last 30 days). As of five minutes ago, we have 427 people looking at the site in the last hour, of which 57 were members.

On Friday 12th February we had 2,000 unique IPs visiting, generating 2.2Gb of data traffic. The 2.2Gb figure equates to about 67Gb traffic per month. Bear in mind that that doesn't include uploaded images which come from Imgur.

The current server is a quad-core CPU with 4Gb RAM and a relatively new SSD hard disk.

Do we have any idea of who the 370 non members are? I mean are they actively using surfing the site or just in and out?

Comment

I’d need to download and write some scripts to find the addresses. Bear in mind search spiders count so that will be a chunk of it.

Comment

Search spiders? Are they like the ones in Minority Report?

Comment

I feel like Ralph Wiggum reading things like this.

Comment

Adding briefly to Snake's stats. 88 users have registered since 1/1/2019. 10 of them have posted at least 50 times (3 of whom were reviving similarly named accounts)

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
              I feel like Ralph Wiggum reading things like this.
              This.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                Adding briefly to Snake's stats. 88 users have registered since 1/1/2019. 10 of them have posted at least 50 times (3 of whom were reviving similarly named accounts)
                Did you post your yearly stats DG?

Comment

Search spiders

A Web crawler, sometimes called a spider or spiderbot and often shortened to crawler, is an Internet bot that systematically browses the World Wide Web, typically for the purpose of Web indexing (web spidering).
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_crawler

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

Did you post your yearly stats DG?
                    What they suggest (apart from my trivia fascination) is that any new model is unlikely to trigger a significant reduction in new members- because they're only a trickle anyway.

That's sad in a way, but on the other hand it focuses: we're a social group of a few hundred veterans who value that contact and will likely pay modestly to avoid losing it

Comment

This is going to sound weird but when I press unread posts my mobile freezes up and this website is impossible to access, sometimes to the point where I have to restart it.

This doesn't happen with the latest posts option.

Comment

I'm not sure what on earth OTF-related that could be.

Comment

Nor me...

Comment

Have you tried a different browser?

Comment

On the laptop it's fine. Not a major issue.

Comment

I meant a different browser on your phone

Comment

Yep. got that. Don't really want to change from Chrome, though.

Comment

I assume you are on an Android phone. I'd download Edge or Firefox just to check.

Comment

For info, clicking Unread Posts on Firefox - whether desktop or android - does freeze up for me too, and/or takes a long while to load. So I tend to use Today's Posts these days, which is no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by johnr View Post
                                        For info, clicking Unread Posts on Firefox - whether desktop or android - does freeze up for me too, and/or takes a long while to load. So I tend to use Today's Posts these days, which is no problem.
                                        Ta.

Comment

It wouldn't surprise me if that was related to broken search. (Which if not fixed when we move, will be shortly afterwards.)

Comment

Working...
                                          X