Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lambers
    replied
    I'd be happy to set up a regular payment too, but agree that it shouldn't be mandatory, nor connected to any kind of board privileges. We shouldn't be in a position that someone comes in as a subscriber that can't be banned even if they are an aggressive racist.

I have some specific technical knowledge, but not sure whether it'd be useful as I don't know what language(s) the board uses. If the database is SQL based, definitely. I also have some rusty HTML and Java skills that could be brushed off if required (and others aren't able to help with that).

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    If we have more than we need, we should invest it all in Dogecoin.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    I say if we have more than we need we pay Snake

Leave a comment:

• Lang Spoon
    replied
    He'd stick it all under his mattress.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
    If we raise more money than we need, who is going to be in charge of investing it?
    I say ad hoc

Leave a comment:

• caja-dglh
    replied
    If we raise more money than we need, who is going to be in charge of investing it?

Leave a comment:

• Vicarious Thrillseeker
    replied
    I'm doing okay at the mo, but others aren't. I'd be happy to pay a voluntary amount and keep the board free for those that can't afford to subscribe for whatever reason.

Leave a comment:

• Third rate Leszno
    replied
    I said I'd donate last time and ended up doing the patron thing for the mag instead. I'm happy to chip in a few bob towards keeping OTF going too, though. Definitely agree that mandatory subs would be a bad idea though.

While completely understanding that WSC no longer want to fund or manage OTF, I think it would be very sad if the link was broken altogether and we became 'just another messageboard'. But would WSC want to have their name and branding on something independent that they had no control over? It might be ok now, but over time the user base, admins and culture could change and become something they wanted nothing to do with.

Leave a comment:

• Wouter D
    replied
    Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    But, I don't know how it would be possible to have subs and open access. If there was a dispute between posters and one was paying and one wasn't then that would be problematic. Also if people pay subs there would have to be much clearer processes around bans for bad behaviour and stuff. We end up in contract territory. That's not necessarily a bad thing.
    This is a good point. We need separate branches of government: the judicial committee should be disjoint from the budget committee. If people can assume roles on multiple branches within separate parts of their brain, I'm fine with that too.

I wonder if the football forum could be kept open access and the other areas restricted to paying members. That would mean people could have a taste of the action before deciding to pay for full access.
    If we go for restricted access, something like this sounds like a good idea to me.

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    That's a good point Wouter D as we've got many non UK based posters.

Patreon advertised on the podcast was giving amounts in dollars iirc.

Leave a comment:

• Wouter D
    replied
    Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
    I'm shocked how little we've raised in donations, a minimum monthly donation is 2 pounds which suggests under a dozen people are paying that.
    Anecdotally, when the donation options appeared on the current version of the board, it was impossible to set up a recurring donation in currencies other than GBP. Since I can be self-defeatingly neurotic sometimes, I did not want to put a monthly donation on my personal budget that would require me to monitor the GBP/EUR exchange rate, so I did nothing and promptly conveniently forgot about it ever since.

At current rates, I will gladly throw in about 100 GBP per year. Is Patreon able to handle euros? Otherwise I'll just get over myself and dunk in a GBP amount.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    There's also some stuff on here that's valuable social history. We have a contemporary view of the 2020 pandemic that runs to 1000s of posts and captures the responses of real people in real time to a global catastrophe. I've thought before how it would make the good basis to a book. I'd hope we could find a way to archive that if it was going to be switched off.

Leave a comment:

• Etienne
    replied
    I wouldn't have joined the board if it had required a subscription then or later. But perhaps a Wikipedia style request for donations would work? I didn't donate last time mainly due to it being PayPal, but knowing the costs makes it more likely to donate in future. I'd be happy to sign up to a recurring donation scheme.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    I'd have no problem with a monthly sub of a few quid. It has value to me.

But, I don't know how it would be possible to have subs and open access. If there was a dispute between posters and one was paying and one wasn't then that would be problematic. Also if people pay subs there would have to be much clearer processes around bans for bad behaviour and stuff. We end up in contract territory. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

I wonder if the football forum could be kept open access and the other areas restricted to paying members. That would mean people could have a taste of the action before deciding to pay for full access.

Leave a comment:

• Snake Plissken
    replied
    I would prefer OTF to always be free at the point of use and donations to be entirely voluntary.

Leave a comment:

• Gert from the Well
    replied
    To encourage new posters maybe you could have free access for a few months or use is free if you only post occasionally?

I'll help with the admin as well, despite being a software tester I know very little about computering! Will do any non-technical shitwork
    Last edited by Gert from the Well; 12-02-2021, 15:49.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Agreed on non mandatory subs. If we can lock in a guaranteed sum from long term members who can afford it, and make the board available for free for others (and of course welcome contributions as and when) that would be the ideal.

Leave a comment:

• delicatemoth
    replied
    Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
    Finally, and I don't know how it would work, I'm nervous about a subscription model that prevents new blood coming in and contributing. Posters fall by the wayside for whatever reasons, and it would be sad for it to be a permanently shrinking pool of contributors here.
    This would be my main concern.

Edit - like others, I simply haven't really noticed the 'donate' button. A monthly thing like the WSC Patreon would definitely address this.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    I don't mind taking on a moderator role, if it's just policing dodgy posts and deleting spam. Can't do anything technical

Leave a comment:

• Snake Plissken
    replied
    I don’t think making a sub mandatory is the way to go. Well, I’m utterly convinced that it isn’t. And I’m not going to even suggest it. Same with ads.

For me it is about balancing cost against quality of technical service.

Leave a comment:

• Lang Spoon
    replied
    Webby stuff is the devil's work so I'm definitely not volunteering for an admin/mod role though.

Leave a comment:

• Gert from the Well
    replied
    I'm quite happy to pay ?30 a year.

Leave a comment:

• Lang Spoon
    replied
    Rather than making a sub manadatory to post, could we just create a patreon account and hope enough of us old lags set up a monthly donation? I think I gave two only one-offs to the pay pal link for this board, so another vote for a regular payment rather than easy forgot one-offs.
    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 12-02-2021, 15:43.

Leave a comment:

• Lang Spoon
    replied
    I'm Patreoning WSC though it's many a year since I read it, and Chart Music too though I've completely lost interest in that. I'll be more than happy to pay a regular sum for something I'll actually use.
    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 12-02-2021, 15:43.

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    I'm one of those people who said they'd pay, last time, but failed for whatever reasons. This time I'll cough up. Honest.

Also, even if the magazine - reasonably - wants nothing to do with us, I think it would be kinda nice if they kept their imprint on it somehow, maybe just linking to the standalone board.

Finally, and I don't know how it would work, I'm nervous about a subscription model that prevents new blood coming in and contributing. Posters fall by the wayside for whatever reasons, and it would be sad for it to be a permanently shrinking pool of contributors here.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X