Using Real Names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Real Names

I feel there needs to be a formal prohibition of using real first names of posters, if they differ from the username. See A Well Regulated Militia thread.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 01-08-2019, 15:25.

Sure, Dave*

(* I have no idea if your name is Dave)

Comment

If people want to make it a formal rule, then feel free. I can't really police it either way.

I certainly would prefer the convention of referring to other users by their usernames unless the poster has clearly stated that they don't mind - or even stuck their real name as their username.

If the users involved want me to edit the posts to remove it, then I will do.

Comment

Balderdasha posted this on another thread.

For the record, anyone who knows my real name, I do not want it ever mentioned on this forum. My first name and surname are both extremely identifiable.
        It is a typically eloquent illustration of why this should never be done without permission.

Snake can't police this, and it would be a very sad day for OTF if we can't just be decent to each other.

Comment

I agree with Ursus. And Ermintrude.

Comment

We* have to police it collectively or we will lose people like Balderdasha who make OTF as strong as it is

*regular posters

Comment

Agree with all the above. The citing of Hot Pepsi's real name, though, would seem to be an exception to the rule, unless I've misread something.

Comment

IIRC he used it in a previous username

Comment

He did, but I think we should be consistent. I've used HP's name before and I shouldn't have. A lot of other posters have previously used their real names (me included) but I figure if they stopped using that name they'd rather not have it used by others. There are still a couple of posters who use their actual names, but those should be the exception.

Comment

It's just courtesy isn't it?

I've decided to use a name so as to be relatively anonymous on here but will sign my PMs with my real name. Others don't and that's there choice which I fully respect. To post someone's real name is, unless they explicitly say call me x, is just disrespectful.

Please can we self regulate otherwise we could lose excellent posters.

Comment

I find it pretty weird that this is any kind of a thing, really. If you fuck up and get called out on it, just delete, apologise and don't do it again. Don't make some kind of ridiculous drama out of it.

And yeah, obviously don't do it.
                      Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 04-08-2019, 11:26.

Comment

I’ve used FF’s initial and evilC’s name in the past, and will make sure I don’t use those or any others from now on.

Comment

The EvilC one by multiple posters is quite recent so perhaps Snake can fix that, unless C is OK with it?

https://www.onetouchfootball.com/for...-slight-return

Comment

I am pretty sure EvilC is fine with it, given that he has explained his username previously.

Comment

OK

Comment

Working...
                              X