No announcement yet.

The Ignore Poster function

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd suspect I am/was the prime candidate in many of the aforementioned posts.

Hmm.

But fair enough I suppose.

Though the unwillingness of some to debate people with views they seem vehemently opposed to, is also a tad surprising.

In some circumstances.

Guess we're all made, very differently.

Comment

Originally posted by George C. View Post
      Though the unwillingness of some to debate people with views they seem vehemently opposed to, is also a tad surprising
      To paraphrase the creator of Mastodon when faced with this argument: “don’t even fucking start with this disingenuous bollocks”.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisJ View Post

I tend to do this also. I'm with PT on not wanting "unlike" buttons.

Nefertiti2 , you can set your notifications so you get an email when you get a like and it tells you who. I don't get so many this is an issue (though I guess I could set up a rule to filter them if I did), but it's useful in calibrating when you can't read the room so easily.

I have a very short ignore list. I couldn't be here otherwise, a revelation to which people will doubtless have different reactions. One poster wouldn't be surprised to know, if they haven't already guessed. The other probably isn't aware of my existence. Clearly, PT isn't either of these people.

As a crossover with another thread, I'm wondering about using them for temporary purposes. Just to get past particular events.

Sometimes I think I might be on someone's list, but then I realise some people post so much they'd probably not manage to directly acknowledge everyone who quoted or tagged them.
        Interesting, not that I'm particularly vain, but good to know I can discover who likes any given post.

Comment

It doesn't strike me as a vain thing in the slightest.

Comment

I can click the number and see it, that could be an admin thing though. When I get back I’ll see if that can be switched on for everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
              I can click the number and see it, that could be an admin thing though. When I get back I’ll see if that can be switched on for everybody.
              If I click it I see a message telling me I can't like my own posts. Feels as though it's set up just to fuel my self-loathing....

Comment

Yes, only admins can see it

Comment

Ignorance is bliss for me (though obviously that's personal choice, I'm not suggesting everyone else has to follow suit).

It's Schrodinger's Likes. If there's one, and I don't know who or want to, then it's anyone, therefore everyone. Result: warm fuzzies for all. I don't want to discover that the anonymous Valentine's card is from Gran.

In fact most of my "likes" for others are nods at the screen, not actually clicked, probably because I'm not on any social media or anywhere else with these options so not in the habit. (But please don't introduce "Dislikes", people on OTF are quite capable of putting a couple of words together to rebut).

Comment

I've had a few people on Ignore, not because I don't like them, but for anxiety reasons, particularly during Covid and the summer heatwave where it was counterproductive for me to read every bit of information about it. I now realise I've missed a few bits and bobs, including from people I actually don't have on ignore but I've maybe lost the thread of a topic.

Having a few people on Ignore has muddied the waters, inadvertently. Anyway, I'm going to tweak my settings, as it makes me feel bad if I've missed good stuff.

Comment

No. Only by muting the thread starter.
                      If this ever gets to be a feature, can you flag it up?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisJ View Post

If this ever gets to be a feature, can you flag it up?
                        I will, but I doubt it will happen any time soon. It would put some fairly high load onto the database for a start.

Comment

I will, but I doubt it will happen any time soon. It would put some fairly high load onto the database for a start.

Ah, ok, cheers.

Comment

Well, I've today made the unwelcome discovery that someone previously on my ignore list now appears not to be, and that the board software won't let me re-add them to my ignore list for whatever reason.

So that's nice.
                            Last edited by Toby Gymshorts; 13-03-2023, 12:01.

Comment

I'll send you a PM.

Comment

You don't need to, he can read your posts now.

Comment

Bumped as it may be of use to some posters

Comment

Still can't add Come along, Min to my ignore list.

Comment

Fuck. He was in mine (carried over from the old board) but when I saved my settings just now he has disappeared and there's no way to re-add him. I'm guessing it's the comma

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                        Still can't add Come along, Min to my ignore list.

Does this help?

Comment

Does the full user name not appear from the drop down when you type the first three or four letters?

Selecting it once it does should work.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                            Does the full user name not appear from the drop down when you type the first three or four letters?
                                            Yes, it does but the process doesn't work. Interesting. I came back to add "sorry," as that it doesn't work for me with that particular poster, although it works with others I randomly tested. When I click on 'Save Changes' the username disappears. It should stay there. Maybe the comma, as Ton Ton said.
                                            Last edited by ChrisJ; 27-08-2023, 21:55. Reason: said it wrong

Comment

When it was in my list before it disappeared, it actually showed as Come along [x] Min [x] like it was two separate people (but it did hide his posts) so it's almost certain that it's the comma tripping the software up as it thinks it's two separate usernames

Comment

What everyone said.

Comment

How about a Ban C*nt button? Once it's been hit by ten different posters, that's that.

Comment

*Registers 9 alt accounts, cackles*

Comment

Working...
                                                    X