Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks all.

Comment

By the way, if someone on your ignore list sends you a PM, you won't get it. But if you then take them off ignore, the PM appears, as if new.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post

This. I have only ever put people on there who are negatively impacting my mental health.

I think they got kicked off in the end. They certainly aren't here any more anyway.
        No, I just don't post very often...

Comment

There's also a thing that happens where you can't remember why you put someone on ignore. I should make notes.

Comment

Is it possible to mute threads so you don't see them any more?

Comment

No. Only by muting the thread starter.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                There's also a thing that happens where you can't remember why you put someone on ignore. I should make notes.
                I know exactly why the people who are on my ignore list are there, and why they're staying there.

Comment

I feel a bit bad about the Mundane Photography thread, which I'm scared to go look at, but which isn't near the top of World, so maybe I killed the thread. I don't want to have spoiled the thread for everyone, but having my stalker in there is like having a tarantula in the corner of the room. I don't know what to do about it. Don't let me put anyone off posting their pictures. I just won't look at it. I don't know if I can hide threads - I'd have to put the person who started it on Ignore Poster. When I raised the issue before about this person having multiple IDs, and having posted disgusting things about me (now removed). I was told it was before Snake's time, and yeh, stalker isn't actually doing anything at the moment. However, his only motive in posting on here is to continue to put the shits up me. Which works - I wish I could avoid giving him the satisfaction, but I had a sleepless night and palpitations last week. (Tell me I'm being victimy when you've been stalked.)

Comment

I'm unsure of what is being asked of me.

Comment

Nothing, I know better than to expect any support of any kind. Just wanting to explain that I’m avoiding that thread and don’t want others to feel that they have to just because someone who stalked me and threatened me with violence is on it.

Comment

I was just wondering if there was a way to see if someone has me on ignore. According to this thread it wasn't possible a few years ago. I'm presuming it's still nor possible?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                          I was just wondering if there was a way to see if someone has me on ignore. According to this thread it wasn't possible a few years ago. I'm presuming it's still nor possible?
                          Who do you suspect, PT?

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post

Who do you suspect, PT?
                            Someone I think I pissed off a few months ago.

(It's fine if they have. I'd have probably put me on ignore too. I'm just curious)

Comment

Ah, so it wasn't me...

Comment

I keep thinking that, in some ways, it would be quite useful to know who's blocking you, if only from the perspective of politeness.

I don't have many individuals on my list and I was reluctant to use the function at all, but if I hadn't employed it I'd have possibly just left OTF. It's certainly made viewing the messageboard a much more enjoyable experience.

But I don't bear anyone any ill will and I'm a bit concerned that they are occasionally responding to one of my posts or asking a question and thinking me rude for not replying.

I suppose that if they did know that they were on my IP list we might even be able to discuss things and improve the relationship, but probably not.

Tricky one.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                  I keep thinking that, in some ways, it would be quite useful to know who's blocking you, if only from the perspective of politeness.

I don't have many individuals on my list and I was reluctant to use the function at all, but if I hadn't employed it I'd have possibly just left OTF. It's certainly made viewing the messageboard a much more enjoyable experience.

But I don't bear anyone any ill will and I'm a bit concerned that they are occasionally responding to one of my posts or asking a question and thinking me rude for not replying.

I suppose that if they did know that they were on my IP list we might even be able to discuss things and improve the relationship, but probably not.

Tricky one.
                                  It only works if it automatically blocks PMs, which I don’t know if it can. Just for harassment purposes.

Though I am still not sure it would be good for the harassed, particularly as some cases seem to get way weirder than I would care to think would on here.

I would argue I am not the best campaigner on this - I think I blocked one person (who is absolutely banned, probably the easiest in OTF history).

Anyway - blocked poster works weird, as it should, but hopefully effectively.

Comment

No, it is not possible.

Although there is an argument for seeing it - "I would like to know who I upset, and possibly make amends" - there is a strong anti-harassment argument against making such a thing visible. On a comparatively small community such as OTF, this (hopefully) never occurs, but vBulletin does handle forums numbering in the thousands so you can see the reasoning more clearly. I've switched off some of the post feedback options precisely because I've seen low-level harassment happening on other forums and I don't want it happening here. (e.g., the "Unlike" option).

Comment

I guess I could ask them.

Edit - and thanks Snake. I agree with not having an unlike button

Comment

I'm, not sure if anyone notices the likes, do they?

If you post a fair bit and a person who has you on ignore posts a fair bit, it gets pretty obvious pretty quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                          I'm, not sure if anyone notices the likes, do they?

If you post a fair bit and a person who has you on ignore posts a fair bit, it gets pretty obvious pretty quickly.
                                          I notice likes these days, didn’t used to.

Comment

Deciding you want to ignore someone isnt particularly polite. Dont think you can have it both ways.

would be interested in seeing who does like posts- what's the thinking there, Snake Plissken?

Comment

I use likes as a shorthand for either "I agree" or "I find this amusing".

Analogously, "in real life" I frequently nod or laugh to convey the same message, but wouldn't actually say something in response. I can be very non-verbal a lot of the time. It's probably part-laziness, part-shyness. Not sure what the percentage share is between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by lambers View Post
                                                I use likes as a shorthand for either "I agree" or "I find this amusing".

Analogously, "in real life" I frequently nod or laugh to convey the same message, but wouldn't actually say something in response. I can be very non-verbal a lot of the time. It's probably part-laziness, part-shyness. Not sure what the percentage share is between the two.
                                                I tend to do this also. I'm with PT on not wanting "unlike" buttons.

Nefertiti2 , you can set your notifications so you get an email when you get a like and it tells you who. I don't get so many this is an issue (though I guess I could set up a rule to filter them if I did), but it's useful in calibrating when you can't read the room so easily.

I have a very short ignore list. I couldn't be here otherwise, a revelation to which people will doubtless have different reactions. One poster wouldn't be surprised to know, if they haven't already guessed. The other probably isn't aware of my existence. Clearly, PT isn't either of these people.

As a crossover with another thread, I'm wondering about using them for temporary purposes. Just to get past particular events.

Sometimes I think I might be on someone's list, but then I realise some people post so much they'd probably not manage to directly acknowledge everyone who quoted or tagged them.

Comment

I have found the temporary Ignore to be quite useful, sometimes for as few as 24 hours.

I think this is particularly true for anyone using the "ursus hack" to browse the forum, given that one cannot avoid the opening lines of every post.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                    I have found the temporary Ignore to be quite useful, sometimes for as few as 24 hours.

I think this is particularly true for anyone using the "ursus hack" to browse the forum, given that one cannot avoid the opening lines of every post.
                                                    So that's why you don't respond to my vainglorious posts after a Madrid win in el clasico, ursus .

Comment

Working...
                                                    X