No announcement yet.

The Ignore Poster function

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But one has to consider different poster's sensitivities and vulnerabilities.

But hobbes you're not on mine either FWIW

Comment

Who is hobbes ? Only kidding - nobody is on mine either and Hobbes most certainly wouldn't be.

Comment

To be fair, I am a small child, and also not as capable as some of the greats as far as "just ignoring" is concerned. I'm kinda grateful to be allowed to share a board with such grown-ups and proficient self-ignorers.

But hobbes there's no way you'd get anywhere near my list, even if you tried. I'd be surprised if you got anywhere near anyone's, not that I'd know. I'd happily have the thing as open, shared info. but that doesn't happen anywhere I go.

Comment

Yeah, fuck "just ignore it". Sometimes you need to not see people's posts to protect your own mental health, frankly, especially when you have a particular sad act who likes to try and push your buttons by posting egregious shite that could have easily seen them banned.

FWIW I have three people on my block list. hobbes most assuredly isn't one of them.

Comment

Again, thanks all for your kindness. I know it's a situational thing and I shall pull myself the fuck together.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
              Yeah, fuck "just ignore it". Sometimes you need to not see people's posts to protect your own mental health, frankly, especially when you have a particular sad act who likes to try and push your buttons by posting egregious shite that could have easily seen them banned.

FWIW I have three people on my block list. hobbes most assuredly isn't one of them.
              This. I have only ever put people on there who are negatively impacting my mental health.

I think they got kicked off in the end. They certainly aren't here any more anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                Again, thanks all for your kindness. I know it's a situational thing and I shall pull myself the fuck together.
                hobbes, you are always on my 'don't ignore' list! I'm very sorry this feature has caused you anxiety, not least because it is absolutely necessary on any social media platform imo (I have one poster on 'ignore', for posting anti-trans bullshit at me).

Comment

Everyone will take a different view of this, but to me the ignore poster function does help facilitate happier and healthier engagement with the forum.

But never mind about that <drum roll> <licks lips>... who's this hobbes bloke you're all talking about?

Comment

Ooh! Ooh! Furtho must have Uncle Ethan on his ignore list!

Having read the thoughts on this page I now appreciate the need for the function. There have been a couple of times down the years when exchanges on OTF have got to me too - I ended up pretty much avoiding 'World' for about the past decade to avoid them (why is there no 'Ignore Forum' function?), but things seem considerably calmer there nowadays .

Comment

Of course, although nothing could be further from the truth, someone's now going to say that Uncle Ethan is on my ignore poster list, etc. etc.

Comment

I really thought there would have been some posts in this thread by now.

Comment

On the motorsport forum I used to frequent I'd got up to 60+ on my "add foe" list (essentially the same as ignore poster) before I finally gave up and left. I guess that just shows how many motorsport people are terrible right wing racist arsehole trolls.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post

hobbes, you are always on my 'don't ignore' list! I'm very sorry this feature has caused you anxiety, not least because it is absolutely necessary on any social media platform imo (I have one poster on 'ignore', for posting anti-trans bullshit at me).
                            Oh totally, DM. I can completely see the use of it.
                            It just took me off guard at a moment when I was feeling off balance anyway. People's emotional safety is obviously far more important than my temporary paranoia.

Comment

Hmm if I had put hobbes on my ignore list then I wouldn't have agreed with him the other day, which ultimately led to another poster weirdly challenging me to name the feat of strength to compete in. And it's not even Festivus.

Comment

Not that I have anyone listed as an Ignore Poster - I just think this site is great and expect different opinions so long as they don't become abusive or intolerant - but if someone who you have set to Ignore starts a new thread, does that mean you won't be able to see it all?

Sorry if this is a daft question or has already been answered.

Comment

I can tell you, as this is a current issue for me, the Football & Corona virus thread, or whatever it's called.

I don't see the thread, except when I do.

Hope that helps.

(I'll try to remember how it works)

Comment

Yes, if a poster that you have on Ignore starts a thread, then you won't see that thread in the list of thread in a subforum.

The thread is still visible at other points, which I think are the "Latest threads" table on the forum home page and the "Last updated threads" on the same. I don't know what happens if you are using a search of the latest posts (aka the Ursus Hack).

Comment

I see it on the UA hack, but it isn't on the list of threads when I go to Football. It appears on the front Forums page when it's the most recently added to thread.

That is how it works.

Comment

Yes, I suspected the search functionality doesn't respect the Ignore Poster rule for an individual.

Which, given I tried to work out how I would implement it in the normal forum view (as an intellectual exercise - my PHP skills aren't good enough to do it for real), I ended up in recursive loops that would have brought a far more powerful server to a crawl.

Comment

I can't see threads started by my ignored posters when I sign in. Have to sign out then back in. Any other solution?

Comment

No, unfortunately.

As mentioned above, I actually tried to work out how to do this on paper and disappeared into a forest of recursion. I have nowhere near the required skills to code it and anyway, to implement it would potentially place a massive strain on the database.

Comment

As Snake noted, another alternative is to look for posts, not threads, via Recent Posts, Today's Posts or the "ursus hack".

Subsequent posts on threads started by someone one has ignore will appear normally on each of those (though the original post will of course not)

Comment

Open an alternative browser, and look at otf while logged out on that?

Comment

Or even another tab of the same browser, I'd think. As long as one is logged out.

Comment

Another tab won't work. A private tab would.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X