Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ignore Poster function

This is a Public Service Announcement

To access the Ignore Poster function: 1) click on your user name at the top right; 2) select User Settings from the drop down menu; 3) click on the "Account" tab, one's Ignore List is at the bottom of that page.

Thanks Ursus - note I avoided the open goal. I remember now, when I try and save something in my settings I get an error about email addresses not matching, even though they do. Still, thanks anyway.

Comment

I had that too.

I believe that it is linked to one's browser trying to fill email fields automatically.

If you make sure that email field is not highlighted and that there is nothing in the "Enter New Email Address" box it should allow you to save changes.

Comment

Another point that may be of interest.

Under the original version of this board, one could see that an Ignored Poster had made a post, only its contents were blocked. Under the current version, one doesn't see any activity related to ignored posters and their posts do not show up in searches run through the site (I would think that they would show up in a Google Sight Search)

Comment

Doesn't the function make reading threads a bit odd, given that you'll sometimes be seeing responses to posts that you haven't seen?

Comment

Why would one ignore a poster? Is scrolling past them so burdensome?

Comment

Removes the temptation not to scroll past them.

Comment

Originally posted by johnr View Post
                Doesn't the function make reading threads a bit odd, given that you'll sometimes be seeing responses to posts that you haven't seen?
                It certainly can, but personally I sometimes find that a price worth paying.

YMMV

Comment

Not working - that is, when I click on "Account" it just takes me back to the forums. Same with "Notifications" and "Privacy".

HELP!

Comment

I'm on it.

Comment

Can you try it now? Seems to be working - the Account tab is greyed out but clickable.

Comment

Aces. Whatever you did, thanks.

Comment

If I've got someone on "Ignore Poster" can they still see my posts?

Comment

Yes. (Unless they have you on Ignore, obviously.)

Comment

So, I wonder if this has something to do with the Ignore Poster function: the Footballers and CoronaVirus

thread - I see it on the UA hack, but it isn't on the list of threads when I go to Football. Weird.

Comment

It will be.

Comment

Not sure whether this is relevant but threads started by posters that you have on Ignore do not appear.

Also: UA hack?

Comment

The way of getting a proper page of most recent topics posted on that ursus found (hence the UA hack).

(By ticking the box marked "since last visit" in the date range section of the advanced search page)

Comment

Oh, is this the Search thing?

Comment

Yeah, ua worked out a handy search thing, which is what I use mostly.

Comment

Ooh, so the thread appears on the front Forums page when it's the most recently added to thread. But not in the Football front page.

Comment

Yes, the front page list respects no poster settings - it appears to Guests as well.

Comment

Cool.

Comment

I genuinely always thought the "ignore poster function" was just a long-standing OTF joke. I am having to do a massive re-evaluation now that I discover this is a real thing! Do you get informed if someone adds you to their "ignore poster" list? Or do you just find that people stop responding to your posts? This is fascinating.

Comment

It was a long standing joke well before it became a real thing.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X