Tories deserving of respect: David Davis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think Clarke was intrinsically honest as such, he was just too lazy to bother lying. He was useful in that his blabbering provided a very small window on how things actually worked behind the scenes.

Incidentally SR, sorry to be a pedantic prick but Clark's diaries (the first volume, the really well-known one) came out in 1993, not the 1980s.

The second volume is pretty boring. Haven't read the third one.

Comment

His reputation for honesty comes from later admitting he was "economical with the actualite", a rather cool phrase
      His reputation for honesty comes from his having made up a phrase to get people to laugh about his lying?

Comment

Yes indeed, and calling Kenneth Clarke (not his father) a "pudgy puffball" and saying Thatcher was brought down by a "bolus of wankers".

He was so honest he got on well with Jonathan Aitken who he said was his partner in many a dirty trick.

It's amazing how being against hunting buys you leeway as well.

Comment

It doesn't surprise me at all that David Davis is the one to do this. It's not that long ago that he resigned his seat in protest at the 42 day detention without trial thing, taken together with all the police state policies of the Labour-run Home Office. He's a seriously principled politician with a strong focus on civil liberties and basic human rights.

It's pointless debating whether he is "good" or not in the context of the fundamentalist "right wing equals evil" philosophy which predominates on this board.

Comment

Yeah, we're all the same on here.

Comment

I am, anyway. Not sure everyone is, mind.

Comment

"all the same"? How on earth do you get to that interpretation from the word "pre-dominates"?

90 per cent plus of frequent posters on here (a proportion which bears out the word "pre-dominate" in my book) have views very substantially left of centre. I find it difficult to imagine anyone seriously contesting that proposition but you can always check the "political compass" stats from one of the many old threads which feature them.

Of course I don't think all OTFers are the same. A few are mildly left wing (even I am left of centre on that compass), most are strongly left wing and a fair number are extremely (by which I mean likely to be in or near the 1st percentile on the left/right spectrum of UK public opinion, i.e at the extreme end of that spectrum) left wing. Not a mix, overall, which could provide a reaonable or fair assessement of whether a Tory is "good" or not.

Comment

Not a mix, overall, which could provide a reaonable or fair assessement of whether a Tory is "good" or not.
                  How is this bit supposed to follow, assuming your premises are true?

Comment

Most people on OTF aren't meaningfully political at all, really. Those that talk about it are mostly but by no means all on the soft and liberal left, but not suffocatingly so.

Comment

What does meaningfully political mean?

Anyhow, check out the comments on the original article from the Mail about David Davis' allegations:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1198227/How-British-police-colluded-torture-terror-suspects.html

Comment

Active in either campaigns/organisations/unions/parties and stuff, broadly.

Comment

Ah so my Oxfam counts.

Comment

Working...
                          X