Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Applying & texting & interviewing & texting…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O tempora! O fucking mores!

Clever and newsworthy marketing idea. But completely useless for getting the right people for the job, I'd think.

Comment

Well, it's cheaper than advertising for the job in the national papers.

Comment

WornOldMotorbike wrote:
        Clever and newsworthy marketing idea. But completely useless for getting the right people for the job, I'd think.
        WOM, I know you think I'm out to get you, and I swear I'm really not, but, I mean, does that not strike you as nauseating in its meretriciousness and cynicism?

Comment

Why on Earth... wrote:
          WornOldMotorbike wrote:
          WOM, I know you think I'm out to get you, and I swear I'm really not, but, I mean, does that not strike you as nauseating in its meretriciousness and cynicism?
          I agree with him.

And if it means what I think it means; I'd be happy to claim my initial post as meretricious.

Comment

Not your post; the actions of this company.

Comment

Why on Earth... wrote:
              Not your post; the actions of this company.
              And I agree with that as well.

It doesn't mean that my actions were well intentioned either.

I hope the fuckers crash and burn, and that sort of attitude is never good for the soul.

Comment

Sorry - and no, I don't think you're out to get me - but did you mean that my response was cynical and meretricious or that the campaign was?

Comment

I'm just going to assume the latter, as it's clearly the most likely.

No, I don't think it is any more than any ad / PR campaign is. By which I mean that they all could be interpreted as such.

But if you're hiring in a bad market, it can be spun to mean you're doing something right and you're growing and hiring. I don't see the downside in garnering a few free column inches from that. And if it drums up a few good employees for few dollars, that's clever as well. I think if it's any kind of crime, it's clearly a victimless one.

Comment

My real objection was to this: "The company came up with the idea to sort out genuine contenders from those who are just looking for a job."

I can't see how this stunt would generate any more qualified applicants than the standard CV route would. If I had to sum up my qualifications for a similar job in 140 characters, I'd have to omit quite a few details that would likely clinch the deal in my favour. I don't see how this benefits the company.

But from a free publicity standpoint, I'd still say it's points in their favour.

Comment

I don't understand, and I think probably I never will.

Comment

What bothers you about it?

Comment

Working...
                        X