One Touch Saturday night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One Touch Saturday night

I hate my job with a passion, I'm increasingly nervous about getting wed in 11 weeks' time, my fiancee's away for the weekend, it's Saturday night and I'm on my own.

But:

The screaming gang hanging round the boarded up shop on the corner have finally shut up, I have a decent bottle of wine, mineral water, and Match Of The Day. Oldham won 2-1, Farnborough lost but are guaranteed promotion as champions anyway. I've done all me chores, had a pint and finished reading a good book over a hot and sunny pub lunch, and am thoroughly enjoying a quiet weekend by myself. Tomorrow I'll be up at a reasonable time, not hungover, maybe wander round Regent's Park, maybe just soak in the bath. Ain't life grand in these small moments? Anyone else feeling unaccountably, well, good?

One Touch Saturday night

I woke up at 5am this morning for some reason and couldn't get back to sleep. For about 3 hours the world seemed pretty much mine and I could see it was going to be a beautifull day.

Did a few chores, surfed the net, went to the pub to watch the footie / rugby. Had a snooze and am now enjoying a couple of beers before bed and then Everton v Villa tomorrow with GT in the pub.

Got Monday off.

Comment

One Touch Saturday night

Fitting two three by five fence sections in the back garden tomorow. Like a pig in shit, I am.

Comment

One Touch Saturday night

Please see my 'sheer, blinding agony' thread for the backstory. But after spending Tuesday and Wednesday passing a kidney stone, I became horribly backed-up due to the Percoset I was on for the pain.
        Friday started off uncomfortably. Got awful. Then became flat-out painful as my gut became more and more solid and a pain-pinch in my back became near-intolerable. Had my third trip to the ER at 8:30 last night. Was finally seen at midnight and was promptly administered a full-on pre-op enema package followed by an industrial-strength laxative. Thirty minutes later, we had lift-off.
        Consequently, the combination of sleep deprivation, emotional exhaustion, poor eating and muscle spasms saw me wake up with a migraine this morning. I've spent the entire, glorious Saturday day in bed. Now at 10:30 PM, my kids and wife gone to bed, I'm finally feeling more human than I have for 5 full days. I'm going for a walk around the block for some air. Fingers crossed for Sunday being pain-free. It is true indeed that if you don't have your health, you have nothing.

Comment

One Touch Saturday night

$hit, WOM! Watch your diet, dude...

I went "sugaring off" this morning. It's a Quebecois tradition which consists of spending a good part of the day eating, drinking and listening to live folk music with a bunch of people in a big shack by a maple grove during the sap season. It's a bit of Oktoberfest and the vendange mixed together, a celebration of Spring's arrival and of the harvesting and processing of the maple sap.

I was supposed to go out to a friend of a friend's DJ night at one of the better small venues in Montreal but instead I made myself a canned salmon sandwich (a spoonful of mustard, dollop of balsamic vinegar, lemon squeeze, fennel seeds, herbs, arugula and tomatoes in lightly toasted baguette, with some local white beer) and watched the Habs lose to Philladelphia, I guess that counts as a small moment.

Comment

One Touch Saturday night

I've spent much of the day trying to learn US federal election law for a potential job. Fortunately, that boredom was offset by a terrifying amount of televised sport watching. As my girlfriend is up in Poughkeepsie, NY for the weekend, I was supposed to have a bit of a guy's drink fest night, but two of my friends got the rug pulled out by their significant others, and I ended up watching the same hockey game as linus and quite enjoyed the result.

While today won't go down in the pantheon of great ones, I do get to shuffle off to bed tonight happily contemplating my trip to San Francisco next weekend and the wilds of Maine the weekend after.

Comment

One Touch Saturday night

Crusoe, that sounds like a brilliant weekend you've got on the go. I really envied you that hot and sunny pub lunch.

When you get past, ooh...28, you realise that less is in fact more and that weekends spent reading, doing a bit of housework, cooking, sleeping in front of a nice film and having a couple of cheeky beers and maybe opening a bottle while enjoying that sensation of time stretching out in front of you are what make life great.

I had to work yesterday morning, but it was lovely and sunny, and walking home I stopped at a bar to have a cold beer and read the paper on the terrace. A nice lunch at home with Mrs. Ant preceded her departure for work and my removal to the sofa for Chelsea - Man U. Went upstairs for a bit of a read (Black Dogs - Ian McEwan), but fell asleep ten minutes in. I managed to wake up and get up just as half-time whistles were blowing so had a cup of tea while following the football on internet. Put on a t-shirt and shorts (yes) and went for a stroll, stopping off at the supermarket to get some provisions in, then back home to prepare dinner, i.e. marinade some pork ribs prior to roasting. Final preparations were made listening to The Fall in the kitchen with a couple of beers, and dinner itself, served with jacket potatoes (see thread) and a rocket and tomato salad, was hastened down with a couple of glasses of a perky red in front of Murcia - Sevilla on the telly. Was in bed by 11.30, and asleep by 11.35.

This morning is bright and sunny and I'm off for my Sunday long run, part of my Marathon training. I had more alcohol than usual yesterday, but I'm feeling good - and I have all today to myself, as well.

I love weekends, me.

Comment

One Touch Saturday night

I went out round Cambridge dressed up as a woman and got punched in the eye. Really hard.

Other than that, I had a great night.

Comment

One Touch Saturday night

I hate my job with a passion,
                  Do you process the intestines of slaughtered pigs?

Comment

One Touch Saturday night

I hate weekends. I'm glad it's nearly over.

Comment

One Touch Saturday night

What was that all about, Trouser tips?!

Gyuri, are you from Philly, or just a Flyers fan? Let me know if you need any SF travel tips in case you're not familiar with the Bay Area.

Comment

One Touch Saturday night

its Monday morning... I am (differently) hungover after pretending that I am young. I have to go to Tesco (no, I HAVE to... monthly shopping stuff, and there is only one alternative, and that is a topic for another thread), and the Resolve has worked but my headache is caused by another thing.

I would give my middle nut to look forward to creosoting a fence. Even with the smell. I'd be good at it, too. And not smug, like that twat on the advert. But, I digress... fuck off everyone, and especially the topic owner. Actually, fuck off gerontophile, you know-nothing tosspot.

As a quick aside, does anyone know that the capital of Bolivia is (possibly) La Paz?

Comment

One Touch Saturday night

Actually Bolivia is one of the few countries in the world that has two capitals, La Paz and Sucre.

Comment

One Touch Saturday night

dont call me sugar, just because you beat me at Scrabulous, and have that whole exotic Romanian thing going on.

Comment

One Touch Saturday night

linus wrote:
                              What was that all about, Trouser tips?!
                              I was out with a few friends (one of them had just had a baby boy and we were doing the traditional wetting the baby's head thing). We were all dressed as women.

Some fucking moronic pond-life types didn't get the joke and it started kicking off. Caught in the cross-fire and WHACK - one cut, bruised and bloodshot eye.

Going to the doctors this afternoon to get it checked.

It's a shame as it was a bloody brilliant evening other than that.

I've only been hit/beaten up twice in my life and they've both been in Cambridge. I usually run away but I was trying to extract my friends from the scene and you can'y really run/perform evasive manoeuvres in a dress and cheap flip-flops.

Comment

One Touch Saturday night

ah shit CTT, sorry about that.

If its any consolation, I only ever get beaten up, when I am stopping others getting hit. Thats a good thing.

Sorry again.

Comment

One Touch Saturday night

Sorry to hear that, CTT (and I hope your Sunday was pain-free, WOM). Sometimes the outside world can be a right arse.

Comment

One Touch Saturday night

Lyra wrote:
                                    I hate weekends.
                                    Why?

Comment

One Touch Saturday night

Oh well because things are still really bad at home and weekends means more time for the same old arguments going round and round in circles, etc.

Comment

One Touch Saturday night

Ah, sorry. Didn't mean to pry.

Comment

One Touch Saturday night

Oh gosh no, you didn't, I really don't mind talking about it, in fact, I think I tend to go on about it far too much, and so I worry about boring people.

Comment

Working...
                                          X