Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Airships, copper lamps, dissections and whatnot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know anything about this guy or his site other than I was looking for examples of copper-tube floor lamps (which I plan to make) and this guy has really nice ones, and about a hundred other really neat things.

Well worth the click-through.

Further digging reveals that he's a devotee of something called Steampunk, which seems to be a sci-fi subgenre regarding the Victorian steam era. That explains the Jules Verne/Thomas Dolby/League of Extraordinary Gentlemen type aesthetic that most of his stuff has. Some great links down the bottom, too.

Comment

Steampunk's big among the goths. There was a Steampunk happening in Brighton recently, and at (London goff venue) Electrowerkz.

I quite admire the aesthetic, but it looks too much like hard work, even for me.

Comment

Have you got a link to some pictures?

Comment

I quite admire the aesthetic

Me too, in a detached kind of way. I think it's where my affections for late Victorian/Edwardian fiction and alternate history intersect. China Miéville, Jules Verne, Harry Harrison, all great fantasy fodder.

Comment

Steampunk is basically a what if, what if charles babbage's analytical engine had been built and what would have been the social/economic ramifications of the British empire having a working computer throughout the 18th century. Plus how much more advanced would our technology? Since we didn't have a working computer until the 1930s-40s.

Anyway, most people just use it as excuse to make elaborates props out of brass and gears and have fancy dress parties.

Comment

Me too, in a detached way. I've long wanted to create a genre based on the styles of the 30s but can't think of a name.

Comment

decopunk?

Comment

I've found a review of the Electrawerkz event here, which - if you read the comments underneath - gives you a pretty good idea about what Steampunk's about, with stuff about bands, the goth and cosplay crossover, the fashion, and so on.

(I realise that 'Steampunk' has been a cult literature/comics genre for a much longer time, but it's only caught on as a subcultural tribe thing relatively recently...)

It's basically for Bizarre readers who want to pretend they're in A Series Of Unfortunate Events.

Comment

Damn!

I missed my cue on this thread really, didn't I?

Basically, what SR says: yes it looks great, but - like fetishism - I can't be arsed to spend all my disposable income on clothes when there's so much music out there to hear/consume.

Reed of the Valley People wrote:
                    Me too, in a detached way. I've long wanted to create a genre based on the styles of the 30s but can't think of a name.
                    Weimarpunk?

If it came to fruition, then Welle Erdball would surely be in its vanguard.

Their myspace page.

-

-

-

One of my favourite bands, In The Nursery, have already done an album (in 1996) called 'Deco'. It's not their best by a long way, but from it comes this track: 'Moreau' which, perhaps more than any of their tracks, leaves me stunned that they can't read music and have no formal training on any instrument(ation). (All power to them for that, though - I love it when 'untrained' people can make great music of whatever kind. That's the beauty of pop, though innit? But I digress...)

Comment

I think there is an art deco society.

Anyway, those suits are not 1930's in the least. The cut is all wrong and they're not wearing any sort of hat.

Comment

Any C&S of that Welle Erdball kicking around, Clive?

Comment

Anyway, those suits are not 1930's in the least.

Right, the women's look is late 50s shading early 60s, they look like extras from the first series of Mad Men. The men's shades and gloves provide the touch of Weimar I guess.

Comment

I wrote a long post about how awesome steampunk is as an aesthetic for art, but Firefox ate it. So I'll just list some great steampunk.

Films:
                            Steamboy
                            Metropolis (both the Lang film and the anime)
                            Howl's Moving Castle
                            City of Lost Children
                            Brazil

Games:
                            Arcanum
                            Skies of Arcadia
                            The Penny Arcade game
                            Bioshock (more Art Deco, but bits like the Big Daddies are definitely steampunk)

Comment

WornOldMotorbike wrote:
                              Any C&S of that Welle Erdball kicking around, Clive?
                              Yep...

Here, at Stigma Rest Room (There's a couple more links down the page.)

Here, at Der Likedeeler (although I think afew of those download links might be dead now.)

...And here, at Birthday Boy. (Note that there's a password to be able to unzip that download, though.)

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote:
                                Anyway, those suits are not 1930's in the least.

Right, the women's look is late 50s shading early 60s, they look like extras from the first series of Mad Men. The men's shades and gloves provide the touch of Weimar I guess.
                                It's true their styles are a bit all over the place, but they're going for the fun 'dress-up' vote, rather than 'Cash In The Attic'.

I suppose that long-lost John Foxx associates Eddie & Sunshine were more accurately 1920s/1930s in their dress:

-

-

Comment

I like the sort of fantasy fiction that kind of fits in too - China Mievile, GW Dahlqvist, Philip Pullman, etc.

And then you get the stuff that has a quite similar aesthetic but is a bit further removed - you know, like a kind of overlay on a more 'traditional' setting maybe.

Comment

Working...
                                  X