Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick question for Londoners with a love of...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

... Unquestionably overpriced drink.

I'm going on a blind date tomorrow night, and meeting the poor girl at Victoria - anyone know any nice enough, relaxed bars that around that area?

No points for recommending Wetherspoons.

Only been the once but from memory this place was alright.

Comment

Yeah, it's not bad, is it Hof? Went there a few times with Vic.

Comment

5.7 out of 10, though? I'd want 7.5 or higher for a first date.

Comment

Mind you, she's blind, so it might not matter if the decor's a bit tatty.

Comment

It will be overpriced amd have one too many gaggles of office workers just about anywhere you go around there, but this place would probably be the most date-friendly environment (it's low-lit and quite nice inside).

Comment

If you're after something not too pubby there's not a lot I know of in the area, although if you trudge down Buckingham Palace Road The Ebury serves decent mojitos and is definitely bar rather than pub - it also does food which I've never tried. You're also near some excellent, insanely priced restaurants there, although they're better saved until you know her better and decide she's worth the money.

Comment

The Plumbers Arms, Lower Belgrave Street.
                Nice little boozer, clean, chance of seeing Sean Connery, Jose Mourinio or David Dein popping into the corner shop opposite, tables outside in the sun.
                Its two mins from Victoria Station and is the pub that Lord Lucan's wife ran to after he allegedly attacked her and killed the nanny by mistake. Dissapearing act followed.
                Their house is/was a few doors along and the pub has a print of the E.S. front page concerned hanging up opposite the bar (last time I was in it did anyway).
                Do a bit of internet research and you could happily entertain her with the tale if the conversation flags!. Wimmen just love a bit of celebrity murder/conspiracy theorism on a first date.
                You know it makes sense.

Comment

Comment

Broken Clock wrote:
                    Wimmen just love a bit of celebrity murder/conspiracy theorism on a first date.
                    Even better, if you hint at having a "black museum" at home, she'll be helping you into your coat before you can down your second pint.

Comment

Try The Cardinal at the back of Southwark Cathedral. It's only about ten minutes walk from Victoria but is a Samuel Smiths pub and really quite cheap.

Comment

I got spiked with rohypnol by some utter Dickensian cunt in that pub. I was ill for about three weeks afterwards.

Comment

Southwark Cathedral is NOT ten minutes walk from Victoria, Paul. Your railway credibility is severely compromised when you don't know where London termini are.

Comment

It's a 15 min walk but The Nags Head is a really lovely pub http://www.panoramio.com/photo/15240108 hidden away off behind Knightsbridge in a quiet mews. It's especially well suited if the weather is good. Not too crowded.

http://www.fancyapint.com/pubs/pub385.html

For something closer and a bit more swanky (read expensive) http://www.mangotree.org.uk/ has a small but quiet bar

Or try any of the decent hotel bars in the area

Comment

Southwark Cathedral is NOT ten minutes walk from Victoria
                              You're quite right. I meant Westminster Cathedral - the catholic one made out of brick.

I got spiked with rohypnol by some utter Dickensian cunt in that pub. I was ill for about three weeks afterwards.
                              Bloody hell! Sounds like your worst nightmare! How long ago did that happen?

Comment

Three years ago. Happened to me and my girlfriend. I'm asthmatic and susceptible to lung infections and this floored me. I thought I had TB.

It's upsetting retracing your steps. I'd only had half a glass of wine to drink and I phoned my mate apparently distressed and unable to speak. It took me about four hours to get home according to things like cash withdrawals and receipts. I must have realised what was happening because I got out of the pub before we got robbed but I don't remember anything about it.

Two rat faced fuckers in shell suits causing a massive ruckus at a table; trying to start a fight with me. So we went to sit somewhere else and I carried the bags over to the new table and went back to get the drinks.

Miserable subhuman fucking scum. They could have killed my girlfriend.

Comment

Fucking hell....

Comment

Although I'd never go back there. It is a lovely pub but probably too busy for a first date.

If you're near Victoria/Green Park and you want to make an impression, you should go to a hotel bar up Park Lane/Mayfair. The Red Room, Windows even Trader Vics . . .

After a Samoan Fog Cutter you'll probably wake up married.

Comment

Carcass- you looked well rough after that date-rape drug incident.

Did you report it to the police? I mean they'd probably have said you were 'asking for it', but still.

Comment

LOLZ!

I did phone up a local police station saying 'Look I know this is probably no use to you but . . .' And they were nice about it but said there wasn't much they could do.

The recollection thing is similar to waking up after the drunkest you've ever been.

I didn't even realise what had happened for about a day and a half.

Comment

God, that sounds bloody awful.

Comment

Goodness sorry about that.
                                            In other news - I decided on the Ebury and she didn't turn up...

Comment

I feel I need to offer an apology. You should have taken one of the other peoples' recommendations.

Comment

Maybe she did...

Comment

Her guide dog probably got directions from Paul S.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X