Web-browsing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web-browsing question

Which web-browser is the best for allowing you to browse with 'images turned off'? (Or animations or whatever.)

By this, I mean I'm sure that all web-browsers must have a 'turn images off' function, but which browser leaves your web-browsing experience as un-fucked-up as possible? (I.e. leaves the layout of the page almost as it should be, rather than making the page shift around.)

It's just that I'm getting thoroughly fucked off with ever-more-complex ads of various formats sometimes significantly slowing down page loading and refresh times. (Though this mostly affects me at home.) I never pay much attention to the ads anyway - I reckon I could survive without them, therefore.

Currently I use Internet Explorer, just because it's simple since it's the default. It'd be nice if it turned out to be okay for this, but I have a nasty feeling it's not going to be.

Any ideas/advice, OTF?

Web-browsing question

I'm interested in this one too. I've switched to a mobile broadband gizmo, which is tear-jerkingly slow at the best of times, but what's worse is that I'm paying a tenner for a gig a month.

This lunchtime I'd gone onto the BBC's Wimbledon tennis page to read the text commentary. There in the background I could hear mutterings - a police radio, perhaps? I leaned out of my window to see if there was something going down only to realise some minutes later I had the Wimbledon live video stream on my PC, eating up my download limit.

Comment

Web-browsing question

That Beeb thing of automatically starting their video on the same page is the text updates is a real bugger, isn't it.

Comment

Web-browsing question

evilc, you might want to try out Firefox 3.5, which just came out earlier this week.

Not only is is very customisable, but the Ad Block Plus extension is good at eliminating a lot of those ads entirely, and it also has a built-in open source player that loads and plays video you want to see more quickly.

Free from here.

Comment

Web-browsing question

For Macs, Safari with the adblock widget is supremely quick, and way faster than using firefox (I think someone recommended as such on here).

Downside is that for some reason it seems insistent that it won't remember the password for here, or the username. But it doesn't have the talking ads either.

Comment

Working...
          X