Norn Irish here and their ”had a tough life” act

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

During the past couple of years I’ve happened to get to know several blokes from Northern Ireland who live here in Gothenburg.

One of them, Ivan, who is unemployed, I arranged for him to come see about a job at a house of a bloke who I know, which he did. I went with him to check it out (constructing some stairs outdoors), and then we headed back to my local.
    Upon arriving there, I go sit a bit from the bar because I have some other business to tend to, and he walks up to the bar where I hear him order a beer and tell the barman to put it on me. The barman, who knows me very well, comes around and asks whether that’s OK, and I say that of course it’s not.
    I mean, would this Ivan have asked me if I could get him a pint, I would, but not in this manner.

Then he comes sits with me to talk about the job and starts to pull all kind of crap. Demanding how much to be paid an hour, demanding that I guarantee his tools will be safe, and says that I’ve promised to pick him up and drive him from and to work.
    I can’t believe what I hear.
    When I tell him that I’ve made no bloody promise of driving him like I’m some fucking school bus, he starts to make a scene in front of everybody, claiming that I have indeed made a promise.
    Then I pull him up on what the fuck he’s doing ordering beer in my name, he blurts out:
    - Oi, I’ve done you a favour coming over here, so….
    Where I interrupt him and ask what the fuck he’s on about.

I can’t believe what I hear. He’s unemployed, I had a few leads for some work, I think of him and call him, and I’m doing him a favour?

Anyway, when I told him to just not talk to me about the job anymore, that I wanted nothing to do with it and he could most likely forget it, he pulls the “Oi, don’t fuck with me, I’m Northern Irish, where I come from it was tough as….”

I had it, I told him to bugger off and I not being interested.

That’s far from the first time I’ve heard one of these Northern Irish blokes bring up how tough life in Northern Ireland was or is or whatever, and how that’s supposed to make them tough.
    This time, I was so bloody close to tell that “I’m bloody Croatian, and at least we liberated our fucking country, because we had both brains and balls”, just to piss him off.

It’s weird, even the Welsh, Scottish and English from time to time mention Northern Irish blokes and how tough blab la yada yada

You never hear an Albanian, Romanian or even some Eritrean pull that pathetic one of how tough life was back home which should be evidence of how tough he is and use that as some sort of threat.

This time, I was so bloody close to tell that “I’m bloody Croatian, and at least we liberated our fucking country, because we had both brains and balls”, just to piss him off.
    Yes, it's just as well you kept that to yourself and didn't, say, post it on the internet.

Well, he sounds like a twat, but I don't think there's any specific point you can draw about the entire population of Northern Ireland based on one twat. This sounds an obvious point, but...

Comment

Amazing Inflatable Dog wrote:
      Well, he sounds like a twat, but I don't think there's any specific point you can draw about the entire population of Northern Ireland based on one twat. This sounds an obvious point, but...
      Nah, I don't think that, it's only that this bunch of expats keep banging on about it, while I've never heard the expats I know from Kosovo, or Eritrea, or other places where it wasn't the easiest life, to feel the urge to mention it at all, let alone as often as these blokes do.

Comment

Why not go there sometime and find out if Ivan 'the terrible' is atypical??

Sounds as if he is also, slightly, "pulling your chain".

Comment

Offer him some potatoes.

Comment

I'm mostly curious as to which is your local. P liked the snooker club, but was a bit snooty about everywhere else round there, and the Bosnian place would not serve me beer (if that's the place, maybe the Norn Iron guy felt he had to mention you to get served at all?). I did not go to the sports bar in the shopping precinct.

Comment

I know one or two nordies who are like that some of the time, It's just that the guy you're talking about is a dickhead, whose dickheadedness is manifesting itself in a culturally specific kind of way. The major form of political discourse in NI over the centuries has been wheedling Grievance

Comment

Working...
              X