Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why aren’t there many movies done in Middle East?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or produced with money from the Middle East, because they do have money?

Or is it I simply talking out my arse here and there is, only me not having found where to look?

Most films I’ve seen from Islamic countries tend to be North African, and there have been some brilliant. Film is a powerful medium, so you’d imagine there be an interest in spreading your national poetry and book treasures through the silver screen.

Well, Israel has a decent film industry, as does Iran. But obviously cultural, political, legal and, well, warfare considerations have put a bit of a damper on production in places like Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Lebanon and the Gaza Strip. I wouldn't be surprised if Dubai or some other emirate were to try to build its own version of Hollywood, but I'd have thought most of the interesting stories to tell wouldn't reflect very well on the state.

I don't really know anything about Jordan's film industry, which is odd. Of all the Arab countries you'd expect it to be most likely to produce films that might get watched in the West.

Comment

Yeah, ganja, really you should look at some Iranian films if you don't know them. Kiarostami, the Makhmalbaf family, Panahi, Jalili. So many.

Comment

I actually forgot to mention Iran, I've seen plenty good films from there.

I guess what I tried to say was that when I think about it, it's surprising they haven't established some sort of film industry there.

They buy football clubs and build 7 star hotels. Along those lines.

Comment

Black Hawk Down?

Comment

Life Of Brian?

Comment

The new Flinstones film was doing to be made in Saudia Arabia but the people of Jeddah didn't like Fred. So it was moved to the UAE because the people of Abu Dhabi do.

Comment

There are a lot of qualtiy films out of Iran and Turkey. Some gems from Lebanon and Morocco as well. The Egyptian film industry is huge, but it's along the lines of Bollywood, mostly for domestic consumption with a few exceptions like "The Yacoubian Building".

One of the predicament of the middle east (partly because of colonial interference -see Irak- ) is that the Arab countries with the most money (gulf countries, Libya) are the most culturally sterile and least open, which is not condusive to fostering a domestic film industry.

Comment

I doubt Saudi have ever had a film industry of any kind to begin with. Besides, there only just getting around to having cinemas.

Comment

Working...
                  X