Which side are you on....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder what her favorables are in the United States. Pretty high I would guess.

Comment

In December 1990, it was announced that Denis Thatcher would be created a baronet[11] (the first since 1964). The award was gazetted in February 1991 as Sir Denis Thatcher, 1st Baronet, of Scotney in the County of Kent.[12] This meant that his wife was entitled to be called Lady Thatcher whilst retaining her seat in the House of Commons, and was also a hereditary title that was to be inherited by their son Mark after Denis's death. It was the last British hereditary honour to be granted to anyone outside the royal family. However, Sir Denis Thatcher's wife was created a life peeress as Baroness Thatcher in her own right in 1992 after her retirement from the House of Commons.
      From our favourite reference source.

Comment

TonTon wrote:
        In December 1990, it was announced that Denis Thatcher would be created a baronet[11] (the first since 1964). The award was gazetted in February 1991 as Sir Denis Thatcher, 1st Baronet, of Scotney in the County of Kent.[12] This meant that his wife was entitled to be called Lady Thatcher whilst retaining her seat in the House of Commons, and was also a hereditary title that was to be inherited by their son Mark after Denis's death. It was the last British hereditary honour to be granted to anyone outside the royal family. However, Sir Denis Thatcher's wife was created a life peeress as Baroness Thatcher in her own right in 1992 after her retirement from the House of Commons.
        From our favourite reference source.
        Couldn't Toro tell us himself?

Comment

So, if I'm reading that correctly, the sole reason Dennis received his title (and sonny-boy inherited it) was so his wife could be called Lady Thatcher while she was a sitting MP? Her hubris really knew no limits.

Comment

Like Bogie and the waters in Casablanca it seems Ive been misinformed. Never believe "the little people" behind the scenes at hospitals.
            As you were.

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote:
              So, if I'm reading that correctly, the sole reason Dennis received his title (and sonny-boy inherited it) was so his wife could be called Lady Thatcher while she was a sitting MP? Her hubris really knew no limits.
              Hmmm, I'm not convinced. As far as I remember, the reason Denis took that particular title was so that Mark would inherit it. He wasn't likely to get knighted in any other way.

Comment

The best thing ever would be for her death to come Farah Fawcett style 5 minutes after someone really big. Now that Jacko has gone though, I can't think who would knock off the front pages

Comment

Heh, I do remember that when Ayatollah Khomeini stiffed, it was only third in the news that day. Can't remember both of the main items, but the second one was a huge train crash in the USSR.

Comment

JD Salinger, leaving behind - for immediate publication - the other two parts of the Catcher Trilogy?

Comment

Well, that's twice in two threads, GO.

Comment

Tiananmen Square. I knew it was a biggie...

Comment

Ha. But Salinger wouldn't be that big in the UK...

Comment

Oh no, let her death be frontpage news, and let all those who have objections to her make their voices heard. Much better than Thatcher croaking when the damage she wrought will have faded almost entirely from the collective memory.

While I partly take hobbes' point, I think the sooner the better so that there might be enough people left to point out that she was a disaster.

Comment

I wished death on Thatcher for decades, but, you know, untimely death. I find there's no real joy in this for me. It's no vengeance. Everyone dies if they live long enough. I can't muster up any enthusiasm for "Ah ha ha, you right-wing cow, you failed to live for eternity!"
                              That makes sense.

I could never feel glad about somebody dying unless their death has really made the world better. Thatcher dying wouldn't make much difference at all at this point.

Her status in the USA is very high. Of course, there are a lot of people who agree with her politics, but there are also a lot of people who don't know much about her political record and just admire her as a woman who has accomplished big things.

She was honorary Chancellor at my college when I was there. I had no idea at the time what she was all about except the Faulklands and Mich Hucknall didn't like her, which I thought was in her favor. She gave a very nice speech. I think I've told that story.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote:
                                The best thing ever would be for her death to come Farah Fawcett style 5 minutes after someone really big. Now that Jacko has gone though, I can't think who would knock off the front pages
                                Farrah Fawcett died before Michael Jackson.

Like Reed said (and Bruno mused about), Thatcher is rather popular in the US. Buddies with Reagan, so that helps her. Like Reed said, I don't think most know about her politics, but even if they did, chances are she'd be more popular. Stick it to those unions! Lazy bastards.

Comment

So that's another reason to party when she dies.

Comment

Why will we cheer when she dies? Because it's the only justice we will ever know for what she inflicted on us.

Comment

Working...
                                    X