£14,000 logo in 'wank' shock

Oh dear...

(logo as it is intended to be seen)

(logo rotated through 90 degrees)

Reminds me of the Atherton Car Centre:

Comment

See 'Spring!' thread and one before that.

*although the thread is worth it for that car centre thing alone... I first thought it was a wheelchair.

Comment

God, I needed a chuckle. That'll do me. Ta, SR.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Applause for Number 4 up there. Literally crying with laughter.

Comment

No.5 on Clive's montage took me ages to work out. I was looking at it thinking "Um, so?" then it clicked.

Actually, it has to be deliberate, doesn't it? If so, it's very clever.

Comment

Oi!

Comment

evilC wrote:
                      Ah, memories of 'FLICKERS' hairdressers in Camden...

Comment

Btw - just google 'bad logos' and the no.1 result should be the site where I nicked all those from, complete with explanations. EvilC - your totally transparent internet leech!

No.1 in that montage just stunned me! I can just see the hastily-typed signs in the window a week later: "Pediatric centre closed for re-branding".

Comment

14000 quid is pretty cheap though, especially for a London agency. I'm not sure we could do it for that price, though of course much depends on just how disfunctional the client is.

Comment

What goes into the fee though, TPC?

To the uneducated layman, £14,000 to write your name in a particular typeface and colour seems like money for old rope; now while I'm sure there's more to it than that, what is the breakdown of what that kind of fee would comprise?

Comment

I notice on the original link, that the 11th comment is made by someone called 'Sharpshooter'. I wonder...

Comment

Crusoe wrote:

To the uneducated layman, £14,000 to write your name in a particular typeface and colour seems like money for old rope; now while I'm sure there's more to it than that, what is the breakdown of what that kind of fee would comprise?
                                A former employee of one of the major record labels recently told me of the accounting euphemism 'fruit & flowers' which, when entered by an A&R department in the ledger for a particular artist, basically means the cocaine budget.

I dare say a large portion of £14,000 for three letters in a particular font goes on fruit & flowers.

Comment

Ah, memories of 'FLICKERS' hairdressers in Camden...

And the serif-free nametag that the BBC knocked up for a chap called CLINT on an episode of Valerie Singleton-hosted quiz show Backdate some years ago.

Comment

There's a lot — often a awful lot — of back and forth. Preliminary meetings to discuss current and desired ID, presentation of rough ideas, responses, more roughs, (this can go on for a while) finally a comp, changes to comp, client sign off on basic idea. Production of colour breaks, registration of basic mark in relevant jurisdictions. Finally — and this can be incredibly time consuming depending on the size and type of organisation — creation of graphic standards, ie: how the mark is going to be reproduced in every conceivable circumstance, on every piece of stationery, signage, truck fleets and so on. A comprehensive graphic standards manual can run over a hundred pages.

Comment

Thanks Amor. What's a comp? A final draft?

Comment

Sorry, comp = comprehensive. Yes, final draft is a good way to describe it. It's the point where the pure design part ends and the process shifts toward production and implementation.

The money/contractual side of ID is sometimes complex and often varies from place to place. For example I've heard that in Japan clients apply a substantial financial hold-back — a year or so — until after the mark has been fully implemented, to make sure it's "successful." Nothing like that takes place here, I don't see how it could do anything except make lawyers rich.

Comment

Comment

"There's a lot — often a awful lot — of back and forth."

Yes, this is what I meant by "it depends on how dissfunctional the client is."

In a lot of client organizations people are scared to make a big decision. So e-v-e-r-y-b-o-d-y has to be consulted on every aspect of the design, from the head of marketing to the c.e.o. to the bloke who cleans the toilets. This can be incredibly time consuming of your designers who we are charging out at €95 per hour.

"I dare say a large portion of £14,000 for three letters in a particular font goes on fruit & flowers."

20 or 30 years ago I'm sure this would have been true, but the industry has changed out of all recognition. Clients now treat advertising like a comodity to be bought in as cheap as possible, like toilet-roll or selotape. So their main concentration is now on driving the price down.

Consequently, agencies that once worked on profit margins of 40% or more, now have to get by on 3%. So the days of sponsored cocaine-binging parties or three hour lunch-breaks (or any kind of a lunch-break come to that) are a dim and distant memory.

Comment

Nah.

It cost a lot because it was government work. It doesn't matter how well done or thoroughly researched it was.

Comment

I'm afraid I don't get it - what's it supposed to look like on its side?

Comment

The 'O' is a head, the 'C' is two legs. 'G' is, well, I won't spoil your fun.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X