Turkey - not just for Christmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey mince is unbelievably cheap at this time of year if you can find it, and jolly nice, to boot. Around £1.25 for 500g in the supermarkets at the moment, compared to about £3 for a similar amount of beef mince.

In a bolognese sauce, or in a lasagne base, turkey mince works really well, as a substitute for beef. I always seem to get beef mince wrong anyway, when I cook with it. It always comes out tasting, well, "meaty" - do I mean "fatty"? - whereas turkey mince seems to fry off nicely and tastes great.

Why isn't turkey produced more as an all-year-round product? Are all turkey farms simply geared up for producing one bumper crop of birds a year?

Oh God, I hear you say, not this again, but I can't help it. These are living sentient creatures. To see them described as 'product' enrages me as much as it depresses me.

Comment

Lyra and I disagree sharply on all this, of course, but from a Humane Rearing perspective (which I know she rejects), I would say cheap meat generally means miserable existences for animals. There's a reason they can make a profit on crazy prices like that.

It may well be that thinking in terms of "product" has to do with why we let them.

Comment

Working...
      X