• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The terrible truth behind nursery rhymes

Ring around the Roses
    A pocket full of Posies
    etc.

Obviously a reference to the plague - yes ?

I'm having trouble finding a definitive source to reference and back this up. There seem to be as many unreliable sites that pish-posh the idea as unreliable ones that support it.

Anyone here have any insight on this (and other nursery rhymes), or information on where I can track down useful information on the matter ?

I'll hang up and listen to your response.

Obviously a reference to the plague - yes ?
    NATQI.

(Do you like it? It's my new acronym. Stands for "Not according to QI". It's not catching on so far, sadly.)

Comment

The Grand Old Duke Of York really was a notoriously promiscuous homosexual...

Comment

could you flesh out these replies please ?

Also, are we using the quick reply option or is the standard reply function the way to go ?

Comment

I don't think there's a policy.

Anyway, how much flesh do you want? QI said that Ring-a-Roses wasn't about the plague. I think Alan Davies probably lost ten points for saying it was, and then perhaps said something in a Mexican accent. But don't quote me on those.

Comment

Qi is not generally accepted as an authority.

However the Opieshttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-Dicti.../dp/0198600887 suggest it is unlikely as a throry for a number of reasons, including the first recorded appearance was in 1881 -

Snopes deals with it toohttp://www.snopes.com/language/literary/rosie.asp

Comment

QI said that Hitler's vegetarianism was a myth. However, recent correspondence in Private Eye, which cited some prima facie reputable sources, suggests that it's not a myth after all.

It's shaken my faith in the program.

Comment

yeah, but snopes, wiki, uncyclopoeidia (or however they're spelling that) and their ilk are hardly authoritative.

Comment

I think snopes is fairly authoritative. It does use citations for example.

Comment

I always use the standard reply, because that's the way things were back at the old place. The "Quick Reply" button, I think, replies to the particular post - this displays differently if you're using thr threaded view, which I don't like because I'm very old and set in my ways.

Comment

Yeah, all the kids are using threaded view, grandad.

Comment

Call that posting? I don't know. In my day you could read the words.

Comment

Humpty Dumpty was a cannon in Colchester, Essex. The Colchester Castle can tell you more on that one.

Twinkle Twinkle little star has a story too but I cannot recall it right now.

Comment

QI said that Hitler's vegetarianism was a myth. However, recent correspondence in Private Eye, which cited some prima facie reputable sources, suggests that it's not a myth after all.
                            A book I've got quoteds other sources saying he liked the odd sausage and a bit of Bavarian ham now and then, so myth rebutted again?

Comment

Eggchaser wrote:
                              A book I've got quoteds other sources saying he liked the odd sausage and a bit of Bavarian ham now and then, so myth rebutted again?
                              That had nowt to do with food...

Comment

That had nowt to do with food...
                                This joke was brought to you courtesy of ENSA.

Comment

Working...
                                X