Unpleasant commutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unpleasant commutes

Riding the bus down Shoreditch High Street this morning, to my left is an array of UKIP billboards and bus stop posters. On my right: the Christian Party campaign bus.

Unpleasant commutes

I drove to Bampton (West Oxfordshire) on Monday to see the Morris festival. On the way I counted 3 UKIP, 5 Conservative, 1 Lib Dem and 1 Green.

Comment

Unpleasant commutes

Ah, yes. I saw my first election campaign poster yesterday, opposite Worthing station. For bloody UKIP.

Comment

Unpleasant commutes

I have to travel past posters of Bernd Posselt of the CSU, who apart from being very right-wing, looks like Oliver Hardy with a combover.

Comment

Unpleasant commutes

Kent where I went for the weekend full of UKIP posters too. (Churchill stopping immigration.) . Some Tory landowners displayed te canddiates name along their vinyards. London is full of the Christians. Haven't seen a Labour poster in London- or even a poster in anyone's window. Or a Green.

The Labour party will be trashed.

Comment

Unpleasant commutes

Cycling from Wandsworth Common to Euston I didn't see a single political poster anywhere. I did, though, get rained on. And had my usual disagreement with a bendy bus. And almost got run over by a car coming the wrong way down a one way street. And got clogged up in Marylebone/Fitzrovia where they seem to have dug up about half the roads.

Frankly, if the worst of it was seeing some UKIP posters, it would be a pretty good commute.

Comment

Unpleasant commutes

The last time I got on a bus, I ended up sat next to a chap I knew from school who has blossomed into one of the few remaining Stalinists you will find in the wild.

Over the course of an excruciating 15 minute journey, I had to listen to him loudly claiming that all the reports of famine etc. coming out of North Korea are propaganda, as is the notion that the Gulag existed.

Comment

Unpleasant commutes

I'd never heard of the Christian Party until their leaflet popped through the door the other day.

They've got a lot of deeply unpleasant policies (teaching of ID in all schools, pro-life fundamentalism, compulsory curfews for kids under a certain age) but by far the most batshit-crazy is their proposal to make the St.Davids cross the national flag of Wales because - get this - the current red dragon is an instrument of the devil.

Nutters.

Comment

Unpleasant commutes

blameless wrote:
                  They've got a lot of deeply unpleasant policies (teaching of ID in all schools)
                  What, the film? I liked that. They've got my vote.

Comment

Unpleasant commutes

good god stumpy, he looks like spode.

Comment

Unpleasant commutes

Directly opposite my front door is a poster of Birgit Schnieber-Jastram, one of the CDU candidates for the Euro elections.

The pleasure I derive from reading her name out loud and then chuckling quietly to myself is negated by the fact that she looks like Joachim Löw trying to do an impersonation of my late Uncle Cyril.

Comment

Unpleasant commutes

Would it be cruel to suggest that that isn't the most flattering photo ever, and reminds me a little of Emil's death scene in Robocop?

Comment

Unpleasant commutes

The Mighty Kubelgog!!! wrote:
                          good god stumpy, he looks like spode.
                          Roderick Spode, later to become Lord Sidcup? Or another Spode?

Comment

Unpleasant commutes

While in Portugal there are flags eveywhere for the elections, one of the most prominent being for a coalition that includes the communists. It's a bit odd seeing the hammer and sickle displayed on glossy flags rather than amateur graffiti.

Comment

Unpleasant commutes

blameless wrote:
                              I'd never heard of the Christian Party until their leaflet popped through the door the other day.

They've got a lot of deeply unpleasant policies (teaching of ID in all schools, pro-life fundamentalism, compulsory curfews for kids under a certain age) but by far the most batshit-crazy is their proposal to make the St.Davids cross the national flag of Wales because - get this - the current red dragon is an instrument of the devil.

Nutters.
                              Just be thankful you live in a country where such views consign you to a marginal party. Here in Texas our governor and the head of the State Board of Education promote similar things.

/Not sure what their position on Y Ddraig Goch is, but I wouldn't be surprised if they thought it was evil.

Comment

Unpleasant commutes

Reasonably big detached house here in Alcester, Warwickshire with a Range Rover and a Mazda-MX5 parked outside inhabited by a couple in their 40s = Labour sign hammered into the grass near the hedge.

Comment

Working...
                                X