This is why I have a Wii.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally, someone creates a game that caters to my needs.

Words fail me.

Comment

Its beauty lies in its simplicity. Like all the very greatest games you're left asking yourself "why didn't I think of that?"

Comment

Ah, excellent timing. I finally splurged for one this morning. Wal-Mart had them on for cheap. It came with Sport, and I also got MarioParty 8 for the kids and the extra controller.

So, I'm not into shoot-em-up or sports, so what games should I look to get next?

Comment

Go in the Wii Shop and get Bomberman and World Of Goo.

Comment

Is that game "Bring on the Wall" in another guise?

Best WII game I've played (I like 'em easy-paced) is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boom_Blox.

Comment

I've mentioned it before, but if you're willing, it really is worth hacking your Wii to install the homebrew channel. Having MPlayer on your Wii is just excellent for playing just about any media file. On top of that, WiiEarth and WiiRadio are two apps I really couldn't live without. There are loads of games available to download to the homebrew channel, but by and large they're sh1te.

This site gives you all the info you need:
              http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Main_Page

And this youtube vid is a pretty convincing argument in favour of homebrew:

Comment

Wot he said - I love the fact I can stream videos from my NAS directly to my Wii

This is the app I couldn't live without.

Comment

The Wii remake of Punch Out! has just been released and is by all accounts superb.

Comment

I probably actually use my Wii more as a media player than anything else, but for that use alone it's worth having. I haven't got a NAS set up as yet but am intending to do it next month.

It's really frustrating the huge amount of opportunities Nintendo are missing with the Wii, with regards to it's power as a streaming media player, it's ability to run a Linux operating system and the fact that they have yet to create a game that takes fully use of the sensors in the WiiRemote. I mean, just look at this youtube video (probably everyone already has)

Comment

Presumably the Wii can't output streamed video in HD, though. Which means if you have an HD TV, you're much better off streaming through a PS3 or Xbox, which also have streaming support built in.

Comment

"Nice Muscle" as new Gen Y texting compliment in 3...2..

Comment

Picked up a discount-bin copy of Kawasaki Jet Ski at Wal-Mart t'other day. One of the options has me racing around the warm, crystal-clear waters of the Thames, in the shadow of the Parliament buildings.

Spent most of the game trying to explain to my daughter that the London Eye, while not a Ferris wheels, was like one, but much bigger and slower and not a 'thrill ride' in the usual sense.

Comment

Um, it is a ferris wheel, isn't it? And ferris wheels have never exactly been thrill rides. Except in 1941, of course.

Comment

Well, it's like the Ferris wheels she's been on. But certainly not the same. The one of her limited experience went fast as hell and certainly thrilled her. It certainly disquieted my father-in-law.

(Either way, when she asks me stuff, I try to answer her as truthfully as possible. I don't just say 'yeah, it's a ferris wheel' and let it go at that. It's a practice that's often gotten me into some awkward spots, but that's really the risk.)

Comment

Either way, when she asks me stuff, I try to answer her as truthfully as possible. I don't just say 'yeah, it's a ferris wheel' and let it go at that.
                                Yeah, but you could say: "It's a really, really big ferris wheel. And slow."

Comment

I can't believe we're quibbling over this, but is that significantly different from 'it's like a Ferris wheel' when her only point of reference is, really, one Ferris wheel at a small-town fair?

Comment

stev(e x 9):

The Motion Plus controller is what I'm waiting for - Tiger Woods 10 and Grand Slam Tennis should be awesome if that thing works as well as they describe it to.

Comment

Oh, and two thumbs up for Mario Kart. Great game, that.

Comment

It's no big deal, obviously. It just struck me as rather odd to describe it as like a ferris wheel when it actually is one. I mean, you wouldn't say the Empire State Building is like a building.

Comment

Sure, but to a six-year old, a Ferris wheel is very specifically a fast-moving fair ride to provide a certain type of thrill.
                                          The London Eye is a giant, slow-moving sight-seeing device that is like a Ferris wheel in shape only.

Comment

I thought that a Ferris wheel was one where the seats were fixed, so you went at angles and upside down and that, whereas on a big wheel you're always the right way up. As such the London Eye is technically not a ferris wheel, but quite like one (unless you do actually get to go upside down in it, in which case it's a lot cooler than I ever gave it credit for).

Comment

I might have to get myself a Wii if this is shipping with MotionPlus.

Comment

Another couple of suggestions for Wii owners: Bit Trip Beat, a Wii Ware game which is basically Pong meets Rez, and Ghostbusters, which is out in June, features the original cast, and looks awesome.

Comment

hobbes wrote:
                                                  I might have to get myself a Wii if this is shipping with MotionPlus.
                                                  Still not allowed on the real courses since 'the unpleasantness'*, then, Hobbes?

(* - fiction, of course. I'm sure Hobbes is an angel when he's on the fairways ...unless it's in a motorised golf cart, of course.)

Comment

Working...
                                                  X