Today's Telegraph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today's Telegraph

I see that today's Telegraph includes an 'eight-page souvenir' St. George's Day supplement.

Today's Telegraph

I've had an idea. Scrap St Georges Day, replace it with (insert name of your home town here) Day. I don't give a fuck about England, but would happily spend a day dressed as Su Pollard, eating peas and jumping up and down to Paper Lace.

Comment

Today's Telegraph

Christ! If I did that, I'd have to dress as William Cobbett, then wrap a car around a tree at high speed.

Comment

Today's Telegraph

Nishlord wrote:
        I've had an idea. Scrap St Georges Day, replace it with (insert name of your home town here) Day. I don't give a fuck about England, but would happily spend a day dressed as Su Pollard, eating peas and jumping up and down to Paper Lace.
        I won't lie to you, that sounds tidy.

Comment

Today's Telegraph

Would you be dressing up as Su Pollard circa Hi-De-Hi, or do you favour the short-hair, enormous glasses Starting Together period?

Comment

Today's Telegraph

I could do costume changes.

Comment

Today's Telegraph

In a desperate attempt to find some cultural gift that Lancaster has bestowed upon the world I consulted Wikipedia and discovered that the city's most famous living native seems to be James Beattie.

Comment

Today's Telegraph

Nish's idea is essentially what happens in Italy.

We get a public holiday for St. Ambrose's saint's day, whereas Spangles gets one for Sts. Peter and Paul (two saints, one day).

Comment

Today's Telegraph

I would be brandishing a Thermos in tribute to the old factory, shouting "You're fired" at Amstrad employees and formenting peasants' revolts. Possibly whilst training an elephant. But no one famous comes from my town (except me, obviously).

What's wrong with celebrating Englishness? Anything to wrest a sense of national identity back from the BNP and UKIP.

Comment

Today's Telegraph

I was out on a picnic with some Catholic mothers last week (It is a club I am subscribed to) and one of them was pregnant and said she wouldn;t mind a girl

One of the others said "Ooh there's a new saint, he's very good" and produced the saint's card which the other one then rubbed over her stomacg.

Leaving aside any theist/atheist debates about the inherent silliness about this and the odd thing that saints now havebusiness cards, I was also amazed that this saint, St Charles of Mount Argus dies only just over 100 years ago and there is a photograph of him

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_of_Mount_Argus

Admittedly, it is a great photograph but do the Catholics want to comment to me on how they are playing a bit fast and loose with their saints now. Even the miracle doesn't sound hugeley miraculous

I have to admit that I didn't halp the picnic debate about him being a bit too contemporary by referring to him as St Charles of Argos.

Am I right in saying there are no English saints?

Comment

Today's Telegraph

Thomas à Becket? Is he a saint?

Comment

Today's Telegraph

Cue pictures of Roger Moore, Ian St John etc.

Comment

Today's Telegraph

Surely there are loads of English saints. I was going to suggest St Hugh of Lincoln, but I've just found out that he was actually French.

Comment

Today's Telegraph

King Mob wrote:
                            Cue pictures of ... Ian St John
                            Aye, very English he is...

Comment

Today's Telegraph

Am I right in saying there are no English saints?
                              Not at all.

Comment

Today's Telegraph

Oops. Well, whatever, you get the gist.

Comment

Today's Telegraph

Fuck me! I never knew Jimmy Clitheroe, Nic Owen and Sir Roger N-word were all saints.

PS Forgive me for not celebrating St Jordi's day. Found out last night (polling card arriving) that the BNP are standing in my ward for the 1st time ever. Then today had their 'St George's day special' leaflet through the door.

Still, as long as it keeps Billy Bragg and Mark Perryman in work.

Comment

Today's Telegraph

To celebrate "Yateley Day" a la Nishlord's idea, I'd have to run 400 metres while singing Hands to Heaven before nailbombing a gay bar.
                                    I think I'll pass.

Comment

Today's Telegraph

Rotherham Day :

To me. To you.

Comment

Today's Telegraph

King Mob - just do what they do at the Lancaser maritime festival. Black yourself up, dress as a slave, and celebrate the city's rich maritime past.

Comment

Working...
                                        X