They do do God

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They do do God

Apologies if this has been covered already but I was quite surprised by this poster at my trains station yesterday;

detail here;

I was especially surprised when on checking them out I saw this poster on their website;

They also appear to be linked to some campaign against "mega mosques".

It would appear they are both taking on the BNP for the "Christian vote" (following this poster);

and simultaneously claiming they are the only people who can "Stop the BNP".

Weird, eh?

They do do God

Well, I, for one, am won over

What worries me is that they have had to CGI Max Headroom-style the black model in the picture

Comment

They do do God

Do you really say 'trains station' or is that a typo? ie, Lake District = one lake; trains station = many trains?

Comment

They do do God

Bored of Education wrote:

What worries me is that they have had to CGI Max Headroom-style the black model in the picture
        Er, I think he's one of the party's leaders.

Comment

They do do God

WornOldMotorbike wrote:
          Do you really say 'trains station' or is that a typo? ie, Lake District = one lake; trains station = many trains?
          Typo, I was going to go back and change it but thought "Hey, what am I doing? Who's going to pick up on it?"

Comment

They do do God

Ah, okay. I wasn't trying to be a dick about it, either. I just wondered if that was what one said over yonder and I hadn't picked up on it yet.

Comment

They do do God

S'alright, no problem.

I have to say that the typo seems to have caused far more interest than this weird party and their weird posters.

Comment

They do do God

"What would Jesus do?"

I'm not sure Jesus had much luck, in the end, when asking for the popular vote.

Do candidates at this level of election still lose their deposit if unelected, and how much is that, nowadays? I remember it used to be quite a financial barrier to people standing as candidates for "other" parties - didn't "Lord" Sutch lose something like £20,000, over the years, standing for his Monster Raving Loonies in by-elections?

Comment

They do do God

"Railway station", we say. Or used to.

Comment

They do do God

Oddly, we refer to it by whatever brand of train you're taking. If you're going from Toronto to Montreal, you're taking the VIA. From your house to downtown, you're taking the GO. Locally, you take the TTC. But then, we don't do trains particularly well over here.

Comment

They do do God

Not a time to be flippant about the far-right, but that 'What would Jesus do? Vote BNP' poster cracks me up.

Comment

They do do God

What I find funny about the BNP poster is that I don't think it actually exists. Every single pic of it on the net is the same as the one above and it looks like a mock-up to me.

I think the four goons have simply stood in front of a poster site and then the image has been inserted later. I suppose it's quite a clever cheap way of getting the coverage which is obviously the aim of it.

Actually, I wonder if Clear Channel know about it, even given their politics they might object.

Comment

They do do God

What would Jesus do? He would lose and be hanged. That settles that.

Comment

They do do God

Er, I think he's one of the party's leaders.
                            They are led by a CGI-generated black man? Wow

I love the thought of your particular leafy part of Surrey being the scene of a political turf war between Christians and Nazis

I expect no-one complains until the trains run late

Comment

They do do God

WornOldMotorbike wrote:
                              I am impressed by this knowledge.

Back on topic, the "what would Jesus do?" poster is bloody hilarious, fake or not.

Comment

They do do God

Why on Earth... wrote:
                                "Railway station", we say. Or used to.
                                Some of us still do.

Comment

They do do God

The gist of the Christian Party anti-BNP thing is that the PR system will give the BNP seats unless one of the smaller parties behind overtakes them. Since they were the next ones behind, they're best placed to do that; whereas voting for bigger parties than the BNP won't help exclude them by bumping them down the PR queue, since they're already behind those.

It seems perfectly plausible.

Comment

They do do God

Why is the Christian party given the number "2" position on the ballot on one poster, but "1" on the other. Wouldn't their ballot position be the same across England (or Britain...I'm not sure which one applies here)?

Comment

They do do God

That would require each party to run a candidate in every MEP constituency, which I don't think is at all the case for minor parties.

Comment

They do do God

Also Sprach Zaratoro wrote:
                                        The gist of the Christian Party anti-BNP thing is that the PR system will give the BNP seats unless one of the smaller parties behind overtakes them. Since they were the next ones behind, they're best placed to do that; whereas voting for bigger parties than the BNP won't help exclude them by bumping them down the PR queue, since they're already behind those.

It seems perfectly plausible.
                                        A tactical anti-BNP vote for a party that trumpets it's desire to "Keep Britain Christian" and it's opposition to "megamosques" is jumping out of the frying pan in to a tiny bit of a fire though, isn't it?

Comment

They do do God

Also, doesn't the PR system have a %age threshold? If a high enough %age voted for the "major" parties then the BNP wouldn't reach it and gain a seat, no?

Comment

They do do God

Here's a video of theirs about the Olympic mosque

I wonder if they call St Paul's a "megachurch"?

That sounds like a Monster Magent album

Comment

They do do God

There are many aspects to the adoption of Jesus as a symbol of what the BNP stand for that goes against their stance on other issues.
                                              Firstly they claim to be a Christian party, but although Jesus is the central focus of the Christian church and is seen as the son of God for many, he is in fact a Jew, and worshipped as such his entire life. In fact he and his disciples would probably insist on a mega-temple being built for the 2012 games.
                                              Secondly Jesus is thought to have been Arabic or possibly even black, hardly the type of person to be represented by a far right Aryan party. Promoting a black or Arabic man as a symbol of a political party's manifesto would surely be seen as positive discrimination toward foreigners and minorities, extremely unlikely to be a BNP policy. I mean, fuckin' hell, let one of 'em in and soon the whole party will be over-run with darkies, puffs and lezzers.
                                              Finally Jesus is a foreigner, and possibly has connections with movements such as the "People's Front of Judea", or the "Campaign for Free Galilee", which could obviously be construed as terrorism, hardly the sort of person to be welcome in the BNP's cosy white Utopia. Should they gain power I'm sure Jesus and the rest of his bloody sandal wearing followers be be on the first bloody banana boat back to where they bloody well came from.
                                              In answer to the question what would Jesus do, I reckon he would be getting in touch with his lawyers about the use of his image without permission on extremist political literature. He certainly wouldn't be voting BNP in the next election.

Comment

They do do God

ha ha!

Jesus was also into stoner rock, liked hanging with prostitutes and was a dipsomaniac.

Comment

They do do God

Yeah, very funny - and probably true, Sean!

Comment

Working...
                                                  X