X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bush is the most unpopular president in history

That is all.

And quite deserving, too. Though I imagine if there was sophisticated polling going further back than it does, there may have been other candidates for the title.

Comment

The president understands war and the slowdown in the economy weigh down public opinion
      Is that true? I'd bet that wars, as a rule, make the country much more likely to get behind a president. It's the gross incompetence of its execution that's the problem - not the fact of being at war.

Comment

I find it amusing that the Bushies are in a state of panic over the possibility that Jimmy Carter might actually be the one to broker peace between Israel and Palestine. I think Georgie and Condoleeza were banking on doing that themselves to redeem the administration's legacy.

Comment

I knew they were deluded; but really that deluded?

Comment

I think they are that deluded, though they probably wrote that off months ago, probably after the fall elections.

Wars have traditionally boosted popularity, but that can go south over time if things aren't going according to plan. Combined with their continued use of 9/11, it could be argued that war support was what kept W in for his second term. But the economy was ok at the time.

In contrast, Bush I was near 90% during the first go-around in Iraq. But that war ended. And the economy went a bit downhill. And he ended up being a one-term President.

I think that the really interesting thing here is that only 2/3 of Republicans are happy with the administration. Those are the kinds of numbers that gave rise to Pat Buchanan and his pitchfork brigade when Bush I lost.

Comment

Yeah, but you've got to wonder how many of that third consists of people who wanted Bush to nuke Iran, ban abortion, deport anyone with a Spanish surname, or think he's too liberal in other ways. The far right has been setting up Bush as a non-conservative for a long time now.

Comment

And the sort of conservatives who care most about balanced budgets don't like him either.

Comment

This is what they get for letting him pilfer the 'chads' Election '00 & sticking two fingers to the rest of us by re-electing him in '04.
                  I was afraid that he'd fix it so he either stayed on after this year or got someone even worse to replace him. Hope I'm right but the little I've seen as McCain suggests he'll be better ( sorry, Hilary/Obama but Republicanism is just too strong over there ).

Comment

Working...
                  X