Spring!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring!

Our winters here in the NPS are shit. You really have to be here to understand. I know WOM posts these beautiful pristine pictures of what we look like just after a snowfall, but he never puts up pictures of the runoff and slush that come right after, and no photo can really sum up the sheer awfulness of a late March morning where you have to drag yourself out, for the 150th day in a row, into the wet, cold, cold, wet outdoors.

But then Spring comes!

Spring is only really spring is you have winter. I know people in other parts of the world *think* they have spring, but they don't. Not really. Our springs involve temperature swings of thirty degrees (wheeee!). The entire fabric of existence changes. On the first warm weekend day of the year, entire cities do the most massive stripteases - bodies encased in parkas and jackets emerge from their cocoons to be clad only in shorts and t-shirts (rue St. Laurent in Montreal is the best place to view this). Basically, everybody becomes a lot more attractive. Our lives, constrcited indoors for six months, emerge into the living breathing outside world. Patios fill, and for a few brief months, Canadians become sociable (before we retreat again into our winter refuges). And drinking and listening to music is so much better when it happens outdoors.

It will be 22 degrees and sunny today. It is not yet muggy. The smog alerts have not yet started (although it was getting close, yesterday).

There is nowhere else on earth I would rather be than here today. It is bliss.

How is your spring going where you are?

Spring!

I'm stuck in a boiling hot office doing a job I'm basically waiting to leave from. I've had better.

Comment

Spring!

It's been very gradual this year. The first flowers were out nearly a month early, but it's been cold since then and it's only now that the temperature has started to get up to anything like a pleasant level, although it's bloody windy.

Normally, it jumps by about twenty degrees within a couple of days some time in April, as if someone threw a big switch, and everybody starts complaining about "spring tiredness", a complaint which like "circulation trouble" only seems to affect Germans.

I had to mow my lawn for the first time yesterday, which is always a good sign, and - best of all - the asparagus season is nearly upon us.

Comment

Spring!

Its about 15C here and sunny, with no breeze.

The old men are starting to wear shorts - THIS is why I moved to Bournemouth.

Comment

Spring!

Comment

Spring!

hahahahaha.

Why is he so bandy?

Comment

Spring!

Another peril of masturbation.

Comment

Spring!

By the way, now that someone else has made an overtly sexual reference on this thread, I feel more comfortable about saying... "It's tit Monday".

Comment

Spring!

Grrrr.

And it's bastard boiling already and it's horrible and I wish I could move to Greenland tomorrow.

Comment

Spring!

It's Tuesday, isn't it?

Liq, you're off to Rome soon, aren't you? Doesn't that bring massive rays of sunlight into every day?

Comment

Spring!

Boiling, Lyra? You're mental!
                      It's about 7 or 8 degrees shy of being comfortable. It should be 20C at night and 25C at least during the day for real comfort.

Comment

Spring!

You are the fourth person in a week to call me mental or a variation thereof. This time however I refuse to accept it. It really is too hot. It's all muggy and eurgh.

Comment

Spring!

I went out for a stroll by Anglezarke Moor (that's right on Rogin doorstep if I'm not mistaken) today, a couple of hours up the moor, across a plantation et by a small reservoir, past the very picturesque cricket ground of White Coppice. Then I went for a pint of bitter shandy in a country pub. 16c, plenty of sun and a cool easterly breeze, as perfect as it get for a long day out hiking really.

Now I'm at work, beurk...

Comment

Spring!

Pigeons fucking in the parks; girlfriend finally accepted that they do, in fact, have sex.

Comment

Spring!

What? Girlfriends?

Comment

Working...
                              X